baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

There was a time probably about 15 years ago where it seemed like the Apatow group were putting out comedies left right and center and they are all pretty good.

One of my favorites is forgetting Sarah marshall. First of all it's incredibly funny, Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis .....Beyond gorgeous and Jason segal, Paul Rudd and especially Russell Brand just cracked me up.

• Like 2

There was a time probably about 15 years ago where it seem like the Apatow group we're putting out comedies left right and center and they are all pretty good.

One of my favorites is forgetting Sarah marshall. First of all it's incredibly funny, Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis Beyond gorgeous and Jason segal, Paul read and specially Russell Brand just cracked me up.

• Like 1

Couples retreat with another good one as well. Ridiculously amazing cast, a well-written story just a really well done movie imo.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

There was a time probably about 15 years ago where it seem like the Apatow group we're putting out comedies left right and center and they are all pretty good.

One of my favorites is forgetting Sarah marshall. First of all it's incredibly funny, Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis Beyond gorgeous and Jason segal, Paul read and specially Russell Brand just cracked me up.

The vampire musical scene is one of my all time favorites.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, vafrow said:

The vampire musical scene is one of my all time favorites.

Yes that was pretty damn awesome. It's not often you can say that you never seen something in a movie before but I can safely say I have never seen something like that before in a movie.

I can't believe folks have yet to mention the greatest, most timeless comedy of all time - Clue:).

Just last night, at a Murder Mystery party, half the table was quoting it...and I got to do the full Mrs. White scene...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

This is a good idea, but how cheap can they go? If comedies get cheaper it’ll just drive away most name talent. 

Well of course you can’t get people like Ryan Reynolds or Will Ferrell in this model, but the idea is that you’re making these on the cheap and can potentially make comedy vehicles for people who are cheap to get. Blumhouse has gotten the likes of Jamie Lee Curtis and Lupita Nyong’o to be in their movies. Would John Mulaney or Issa Rae really cost that much?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I can't believe folks have yet to mention the greatest, most timeless comedy of all time - Clue:).

Just last night, at a Murder Mystery party, half the table was quoting it...and I got to do the full Mrs. White scene...

I can't see Clue without thinking of Murder By Death... Another classic. Glad Rian Johnson is keeping that genre alive with stuff like Knives Out and Glass Onion.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yes that was pretty damn awesome. It's not often you can say that you never seen something in a movie before but I can safely say I have never seen something like that before in a movie.

To me, it's the direction of that scene that makes it so good. They build up the anticipation perfectly. You have no idea what this idea is going to sound like. The intro music hits and it feels normal. Then he puts on the Dracula voice and I lose it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think the reason no one is mentioned that one is that you're pretty much just talking about modern comedies but if you want to go back that far in my opinion the '80s had a litany a fantastic comedies.

Ferris Bueller

Porky's

Revenge of the Nerds

Secret Admirer

Planes Trains....

Beverly Hills cop

And then skip ahead a few years, the one Eddie Murphy movie that I love that really wasn't well received is Boomerang. The camaraderie in that film between Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence and David Alan Grier was top notch. And it had a good love story it was incredibly well written and it makes me laugh every time I watch it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Feel like the "comedies need stars" argument can be debatable when it's not like, say, the Hangover trio were household names at the time it came out (obviously BCoop was the one that would emerge from the movie to become a certified A-lister but both Galifianakis and Helms maintain active careers 14 years after its release too). Honestly the decline of the genre has been about a decade in the making: even during the mid-2010s there were some high-profile misses within the genre before anyone really had streaming to blame for it.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Home alone is a classic comedy film for me. Apparently, it’s also hugely popular here in my country. Every Christmas time, television always airs one of the Home Alone movies.

• Like 1

Hello 

Top Secret!

(You have to watch it numerous times, to figure out all hidden gems)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

(1986 Top 10 grossing domestic box office movie and rightfuly so, a LOT'S

reasons for it)

The Blues Brothers

Hangover

Hot Shots -Part Deux

Superbad

Grounghog Day

Weekend at Bernies

Borat

Trading places

Project X / Popstar

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

To elaborate on that, weve also seen in the last 10 years that MCU films and Superhero movies in general basically cover any genre now and not just the action one. For example, the first GOTG was for a lot of people more comedy than action film, Deadpool 1 and 2 basically are R-Rated Comedys (and were curiously succesfull when "classic" R-Rated comedys were declining hard) and Thor 3 and 4 also can honestly be classified as comedys.

So maybe one could argue that the big mainstream superhero movies had so much comedic elements to them that audiences simply didnt feel the need to watch the "actual" comedys sine then? I personally think this could be one of many reasons to explain the decline of comedys, but im not sure how important of a role it might have played.

Don’t disagree - it’s all connected IMO 

My post-pandemic/streaming influenced argument has always been that the bar for getting people off their couch or phones into theaters has been raised. That’s especially hit comedies and dramas, for which similar content - without something more - is fairly ubiquitous 

14 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Out of curiosity: What is your favourite comedy?

Mine is probably either Hot Fuzz or a german comedy (which probably nobody here has ever heard of) called Der Wixxer, which is a satire of Edgar Wallace crime storys.

Superbad, Tropic  Thunder and 21 Jump Street.

I'd like to see another Lord and Miller comedy after Spiderverse (I know they were producers in a couple of comedies in the last year such as Strays, but I'd like them as writers/directors)

Joy Ride getting a B- CS grade from the few who did pay to see it is kinda rough. Probably won't make much more in total than the opening weekend of No Hard Feelings at this point. 

Lionsgate's not having a great year after John Wick and a minor hit with Jesus Revolution (nor do they have much else on deck with a lot of promise for the rest of 2023 besides the Hunger Games prequel, which is also a bit of a gamble that could go either way) following a 2022 in which they barely released anything (and what they did put out failed to make much money). They must be preparing for a sale soon.