baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

For those of you who were wondering how No Hard Feelings would've performed without Jennifer Lawrence, you have your answer this weekend in Joy Ride. Deadline has it at a $5.6M opening right now, compared to the former's $15M launch. In certain corners of cinema, star power still matters. Joy Ride will likely make less worldwide than No Hard Feelings will domestically when all is said and done.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LegionWrex said:

Oh yikes just saw the numbers for Insidious. Cause $40M is off the table then, was way too ambitious too quickly with that.

$40m was never on the table. Not during this week when lots of people were off on Thursday. An 8x was never happening. 

But it was looking at $2.5-3m previews just days ago. It’s still a win. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Raunchy comedy sucked during its heyday, and they probably still suck now. People have finally matured and are resolutely rejecting it, so studios need to stop trying to have it happen again. They went from Coming to America, Plane, Trains & Automobiles, Clueless, Mean Girls and other comedy that relied on characterization, cleverness, pointedness and timing to Step Brothers like crassness. America Pie and Judd Apatow are the two worst things that have ever happened to studio comedy because none of that was timeless, and you are seeing the effects now of what happens when you rely on gimmicky humor 

giphy.gif

Out of curiosity: What is your favourite comedy?

Mine is probably either Hot Fuzz or a german comedy (which probably nobody here has ever heard of) called Der Wixxer, which is a satire of Edgar Wallace crime storys.

It isn’t kinda early to have a meltdown over numbers for a strongly walkup heavy movie? 

It would still be good regardless and like M37 said it’s not unusual for this time of year to have low IM, but is very easy to see the numbers coming higher in a few hours next update 

• Like 1

All things considered not too bad for Indy if those numbers hold.  Yes the movie is a bomb financially but the WOM at worst does seem pretty decent despite what many like to claim. MI will probably hurt it bad and Oppenheimer wont help but it should be number 4 that 21-23 weekend still bringing in a decent audience maybe. 

Indy has a B+ Cinemascore which is pretty bad for what's supposed to be crowdpleasing adventure movie. It'll have a hefty drop against MI as we move into the weekdays. 

Probably heading for Black Adam numbers worldwide on a budget 100m higher than Black Adam. Crazy how we have two of the biggest bombs ever in a 2 week span. And Fast X, TLM, Transformers, Elemental bombed due to overbudgeting. MI7 and Barbie have a lot of cleaning up to do. 

48 minutes ago, M37 said:

It wasn’t 3pm, it was full day, some as early as 9am (which is why I put it in “ “s), and on a pseudo holiday with the 4th the day after. Also these kinds of films can be frontloaded, often on level of anime. So the Wed number in isolation is really all that mattered IMO, not the drop from a double holiday full day preview 

I understand it was all day, but b/c of the lower screen count it only has 4 shows a day even starting at 10am. So if a blockbuster gets previews at 3pm but has 4 showings that prior day, it should be viewed the same.

24 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Out of curiosity: What is your favourite comedy?

Mine is probably either Hot Fuzz or a german comedy (which probably nobody here has ever heard of) called Der Wixxer, which is a satire of Edgar Wallace crime storys.

Ghostbusters if it counts, but I don't love it for it's comedy. 

Pure comedies: Blues Brothers, The Jerk, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Big Lebowski 

20 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Life of Brian. Superbad. Grand Budapest Hotel. Hot Fuzz. Some Like It Hot.

Yes. I like Fortune Cookie, Blazing Saddles, Something About Mary, Dr. Strangelove, It's Mad Mad Mad Mad World, Best In Show, Spinal Tap, Big Lebowski, Ed Wood, Fearless Vampire Killers, Kind Hearts and Coronets and a bunch of other ones I'm forgetting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rebelscum86 said:

I understand it was all day, but b/c of the lower screen count it only has 4 shows a day even starting at 10am. So if a blockbuster gets previews at 3pm but has 4 showings that prior day, it should be viewed the same.

Ghostbusters if it counts, but I don't love it for it's comedy. 

Pure comedies: Blues Brothers, The Jerk, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Big Lebowski 

The lowish numbers for Joy Ride are unsurprising considering the marketing was...well, where even was it? Never saw any ads for it on TV, and only saw the trailer once at the movies (before No Hard Feelings the other week). At least it should enjoy a stronger life on streaming.

Unlikely it happens (pretty sure they didn't even report the theater counts) but it would be cool if Disney reported the numbers for the Pirates of the Caribbean re-release along with the other couple of classics of theirs that will be re-issued to theaters these next few months as part of the 100 Years of Disney celebration.

• Like 1

Election always kills me. Kinda miss Payne doing his thing. I remember loving and not being able to stop laughing at Raising Arizona when my dad popped in the VHS from when he taped it when it aired on Encore. Good times.

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead ain't all that great but damnit if sleazeball Duchovny doesn't crack me up...

DeVito's movies crack me up too... Throw Mama from the Train and War of the Roses are a blast.

Tropic Thunder is probably the last pure comedy I outright loved. 

• Like 1

Have lots of honorable mentions, but one I do want to highlight that I saw for the WB countdown is The Great Race. It's a live-action Looney Tunes and it's absolutely hysterical through and through. In many ways it's the Lawrence of Arabia of comedies and there's really nothing else like it. Also features the greatest pie fight in cinema history.

• Like 1