baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

Man... The Flash has done TERRIBLE. Like REALLY BAD. Like I can't think of another film that's done SO AMAZINGLY BAD. Shows we're living in a different world then the 2010s for sure. A few years ago a blockbuster superhero film with big names and an appearance from a decades old nostalgic appearance literally could not have physically failed at this level if they had tried

• Like 2

Just now, Killimano3 said:

Man... The Flash has done TERRIBLE. Like REALLY BAD. Like I can't think of another film that's done SO AMAZINGLY BAD. Shows we're living in a different world then the 2010s for sure. A few years ago a blockbuster superhero film with big names and an appearance from a decades old nostalgic appearance literally could not have physically failed at this level if they had tried

Its unironically all been downhill for superhero's since Scorsese wrote that article.  

I'm feeling pretty good about Wish this Thanksgiving but Elio might have its work cut out for it since it's a new member of the animated sci-fi genre that's proven to be a death sentence at the box office in the past. Hopefully it ends up much closer to a WALL-E than to a Lightyear/Strange World/Atlantis/Treasure Planet/etc.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, baumer said:

We all know that overall Indy is going to be a colossal flop. But now that that's out of the way, if a 50-55% drop is where it lands for the second weekend, that's actually pretty good.

Thats my point. Thanks Baumer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm feeling pretty good about Wish this Thanksgiving but Elio might have its work cut out for it since it's a new member of the animated sci-fi genre that's proven to be a death sentence at the box office in the past. Hopefully it ends up much closer to a WALL-E than to a Lightyear/Strange World/Atlantis/Treasure Planet/etc.

I think if Elio gets similar reviews to Coco and unlike those four looks good, it’ll be fine. Thinking a situation similar to Onward is possible with like 45-50m OW and a 200m total.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

The Flash could go as low as #12 this weekend, while Elemental holds #4 position despite opening at the same time but $25 million lower. What a stark contrast of excellent vs terrible legs.

Elemental/Flash

OW 0.538x

2nd 1.218x

3rd 2.316x

4th 4.558x

5th 8.721x

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 5

This biggest problem for Indy are the next two weekends. It loses all the PLFs and faces direct competition in both. It won't be pretty.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Even if 2024 is missing what feels like a big movie now that Avatar is gone, there's maybe more of a healthy balance on the hits.

I think both Deadpool 3 and Mission Impossible 8 will break out. If Spider-Verse 3 doesn't get delayed that will break out too. I fully expect it to get delayed though

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

I think both Deadpool 3 and Mission Impossible 8 will break out. If Spider-Verse 3 doesn't get delayed that will break out too. I fully expect it to get delayed though

It's getting delayed - not that it won't break out whenever it's released - cause Hailee said she didn't see lines for Beyond which raised eyebrows at the time but now we know why. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

I know there were some discussions about JLo star quality couple of weeks back but after seeing performances of NHF and JoyRide, I feel like we have an answer here. NHF would have done probably similarly as JoyRide if JLo wasn't the lead and NHF is gonna end up doing 30M+ just domestically itself, probably even more higher WW.

LOL, Jennifer Lopez hooking up with a 19 year old (who looked 30) was basically the plot of The Boy Next Door. The difference in budgets between TBND and No Hard Feelings is wild.

Sound of Freedom –the film everyone is talking about– will peg third place with $15.2M and a running six-day total of $37.2M by EOD Sunday. Aside from right-wing groups funding ticket sales here, and Angel Studios energizing its faith-based followers, the Jim Caviezel action thriller is pulling in a huge Latino and Hispanic crowd at 30%, along with 57% Caucasian, 5% Black, and 9% Asian/other. Women are dominant here at 58%, with older people showing up big at 57% over 45 and 37% over 55. This is exactly how a faith-based movie plays. Strongest markets are South, South Central, and the middle of the country. Highest-grossing theater in the nation? Regal Thoroughbred in Nashville with $53K. How often do we see that? Hardly. This is all very reminiscent of American Sniper, but on an indie scale and level. I don’t mean in terms of gross, but in stoking red state moviegoers, which Hollywood doesn’t do often enough, leaving money on the table with what is perhaps the missing link in the post-pandemic box office.

Surprise female turnout for SOF at 57% given the action thriller feel of the movie. Wonder if it is because of child issue connect more with mothers than fathers.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Surprise female turnout for SOF at 57% given the action thriller feel of the movie. Wonder if it is because of child issue connect more with mothers than fathers.  

I think this is a kind of movie that will slowly build word of mouth with all sexes, all ages, and all races. I still don't think many people know what this movie is about seeing as most of us hadn't even heard of it 6 days ago. It's first week haul it's really impressive I'm just hoping that word of mouth carries is to a very nice finish.

I'm seeing it today.

• Like 5