baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

5 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Really missing the presence of Lin Shaye, I would imagine. The Last Key wasn't great but she was great in it.

You can't make an Insidious without Lin Shaye.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Really missing the presence of Lin Shaye, I would imagine. The Last Key wasn't great but she was great in it.

Wait...Lin Shaye's not in this new Insidious? Then why even make this stupid movie in the first place??????????????????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Bunny said:

Wait...Lin Shaye's not in this new Insidious? Then why even make this stupid movie in the first place??????????????????

This follows on the story from 1 & 2, so  

Spoiler

Elise died in a previous film. But I guess they could’ve had her reappear as a spirit again. 

Edited by Krissykins

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

This follows on the story from 1 & 2, so  

Reveal hidden contents

...oh yeah. Forgot about that. Well, I'm still annoyed!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

She has a total of 2 minutes screentime in this one. The least I have ever seen her in these movies.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I remember hearing somewhere that Ruby Gillman was originally intended to be a Peacock/streaming original but was hastily moved to theaters after Puss in Boots 2 overperformed. That would explain a lot honestly.

Unless you plan this stuff out like a year or move in advance (Evil Dead Rise is a great example) this never works. Reminds me of when they shifted Mask of the Phantasm to be theatrical despite initially supposed to be a direct-to-video film and it bombed cause they basically rushed it out.

3 hours ago, Grebacio said:

The chart with Saturday AM estimate:

1.) Insidous: The Red Door (Sony/Blum) 3,188 theaters Fri $15.22M, 3-day $31M/Wk 1

2.) Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Dis) 4,600 theaters, Fri $7.6M (-68%) 3-day $25M-$28M (-54% to -58%)/Total $119.7M-$122.7M/Wk 2

3.) Sound of Freedom (Angel) 2,850 theaters, Fri $4.9M, 3-day $15.2M, Total $37.2M/Wk 1

4.) Elemental (Dis) 3,440 (-210) theaters, Fri $2.9M (-18%) 3-day $9.45M (-22%), Total $109M/Wk 4

5.) Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Sony) 3,023 (-382) theaters, Fri $2.3M (-32%) 3-day $7.7M (-36%) Total $357.3M /Wk 6

6.) Joy Ride (LG) 2,820 theaters, Fri $2.6M 3-day $5.7M-$6M/Wk 1

7.) No Hard Feelings (Sony) 2,686 (-522) theaters, Fri $1.6M (-27%) 3-day $5.1M (-35%), Total $40.3M /Wk 3

8.) Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (Par) 2,475 (-377) theaters, Fri $1.38M (-27%) 3-day $4.77M (-35%) Total $146.4M/Wk 5

9.) The Little Mermaid (Dis) 2,080 (-350) theaters, Fri $1.1M (-29%) 3-day $3.3M (-38%) Total $289.1M Wk 7

10.) Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken (Uni/DWA) 3,408 (+*) theaters, Fri $850K (-64%), 3-day $2.8M (-49%)/Total $11.6M/ Wk 2

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-insidious-the-red-door-indiana-jones-1235431682/

Can RISE OF THE BEASTS make it to 160M?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I remember hearing somewhere that Ruby Gillman was originally intended to be a Peacock/streaming original but was hastily moved to theaters after Puss in Boots 2 overperformed. That would explain a lot honestly.

Yeah it definitely would bc that “marketing” was just atrocious. 

1 minute ago, DisposedData said:

I'm shocked that Trasnformers is going to beat Fast X. Seems like Transformers is at least more salvageable stateside than F&F.

And considering how dire it was for the series prior to this, I definitely think this is a promising start. Just lower the budget by like $50M next time, continue the forward momentum, and Paramount could be golden.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Gillman was actually in the works since 2021. It was found early through LinkedIn titled Meet the Gillmans, with iirc was supposed to be one of the 2022 titles with Puss in Boots (Bad Guys was September 2021 at first). They then didn’t say anything about it until March this year, just three months before opening. It wasn’t even an attachment to Mario whereas Trolls and Migration were. Guessing Comcast thought they had a stinker and instead of moving it to a spot they had for September 2023, just decided to throw it away.

You'd think if it were a last minute decision they would've pushed it to the fall to give themselves more time to promote it at least

If they knew they had a stinker, may as well just drop it How Do You Live style and don't even bother cutting a trailer

Edited by AniNate

I said this once before when Transformers rise the beasts first came out, this almost seems like it's a reboot. They're starting fresh again kind of like what Warner Bros did with Batman in 2005. Batman begins had a gigantic budget and didn't do all that well at the box office except that you got people's attention because it was such a good movie. And then we all know what happened with the next two movies. No I'm not saying the next Transformers is going to blow up the way the dark Knight did but I honestly believe that if they brought Michael Bay back as director, Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox and some of the other original cast members, get it well done script and I think based on the fact that people seem to like this new one, the next chapter could see Transformers back to its Glory days.

I've never heard of Ruby Gilman, I know I'm not the target audience but I literally didn't see one commercial for it. Same thing with the Kraken movie I have no idea what that's about either. Is it about the expansion NHL team in seattle?

Insidious has already done what it needed to do. It's got a huge opening and will probably end up just shy of 60 million. Not bad for a movie that had a budget of 15 million.

From a purely box office perspective, sound of freedom could be one of the stories of the year. It cost $15 million, it has one recognizable name in it maybe two and it was sitting on a shelf for the last 5 years. No one had heard of this movie six days ago and now it's first week it's almost going to make 40 million dollars. Maybe if the public becomes more aware of it, it could find some legs but even if it doesn't again from a purely box office perspective, it's done really really well.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I've never heard of Ruby Gilman, I know I'm not the target audience but I literally didn't see one commercial for it. Same thing with the Kraken movie I have no idea what that's about either. Is it about the expansion NHL team in seattle?

Ruby Gillman IS the kraken movie :hahaha:

• Haha 12
  • Astonished 1

Just now, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Ruby Gillman IS the kraken movie :hahaha:

So that means Ruby Gilman is a player on the Seattle Kraken LOL okay got you 🤣

• Haha 1