baumer

Weekend Thread | July 7-9 | Weekend Estimates on Page 32

Yes well I definitely agree with you. It is a surprise of the summer box office wise. I don't know how high it's going to get, but I know that everyone who I know that has seen it, every review that I have read whether it's from regular people who have paid for it or from critics, has spoken glowingly about it. I really hope the word of mouth starts spreading and kind of like my big fat Greek wedding but on a bit bigger scale, word of mouth will carry it to really lofty heights.

I'm really going to try to see it tonight and I know you're supposed to be going tomorrow isn't it? So I'll let you know what I think if I see it before you.

• Like 3

I’m going to refrain from commenting on the box office of Sound of Freedom. I haven’t seen the movie, and I don’t really plan to unless my mom wants to go (frankly I don’t even think I saw a preview), but there are at least a few members of this site that I don’t trust whatsoever not to use any kind of box office analysis or discussion of the box office to push some kind of agenda, and I’d really rather not have the hammer come down on me if I get caught in the crossfire. 

Yea! So Insidious had a stronger Saturday than I was seeing regionally, good for it! It’s always nice to see films that aren’t part of major superhero or CGI-heavy franchises break out. It continues to show Hollywood that there is viability in actually releasing lower-budget movies in theaters.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 3

Sound of Freedom at least does show that there's a section of the audience that don't feel served by the general fare being put out by Hollywood these days. That isn't a good thing or a bad thing, but theaters having something to get these people in, whatever the motive is not a bad thing at all. The summer has had enough disappointments and we still don't have enough product in general to sustain a healthy theatrical environment. 

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Sound of Freedom at least does show that there's a section of the audience that don't feel served by the general fare being put out by Hollywood these days. That isn't a good thing or a bad thing, but theaters having something to get these people in, whatever the motive is not a bad thing at all. The summer has had enough disappointments and we still don't have enough product in general to sustain a healthy theatrical environment. 

We just need the next Clint Eastwood film to really break out 

37 minutes ago, Maggie said:

yeah, people keeps saying not to worry because MI movie have legs, but the previous MIs had no competition and legged their way through August. This time it's facing a juggernaut in barbenheimer, which will play through August too

Yeah the previous two basically were the last big movie of the summer, and this is taking it on the jaw on day 10 (exactly why they went for the few extra days of space). Not saying it won’t leg well overall but won’t have the same shape by a long shot.

46 minutes ago, Maggie said:

yeah, people keeps saying not to worry because MI movie have legs, but the previous MIs had no competition and legged their way through August. This time it's facing a juggernaut in barbenheimer, which will play through August too

You forget Ghost Protocol and the good weekdays.

29 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, but...

1. It's not the only movie made about the issue.  And it was getting "stale", being a 2018 movie.

2. It's not in Angel Studio's original "wheelhouse" of VERY low cost faith releases - it's really a pretty far branch out for them.  

3. It was also a semi-risky proposition.  In a post-Covid environment, a "true" story drama screams straight to streaming release, or single digit to low teens total BO returns, and they put themselves fully on the hook for the $14.5M production budget (they only crowd-funded the $5M theatrical movie release marketing and distribution costs, and they like to pay their crowdfunders back + 20%).  So, they needed $40M to truly break even, which has been unheard of for most small budget drama releases.  I mean Jesus Revolution, an actual faith based movie put out by a large studio in wide release with a huge marketing campaign, still only got to $52M with an Easter season release, which is the best time of year for those types of releases, and that and Air (and Otto) are the top drama releases of the year.

4. And to release in the dead of summer between 2 huge blockbusters, and to get any kinda campaign going as a sad, hard to stomach movie?  

I mean, this was not on my radar pre-summer.  The co-bombs were.  The Spidey and Barbie breakouts were.  This?  Possibly could get over Flash?  I mean, no way did anyone have that down, even Angel Studios.

Thus a total shock.  And as I've said before - I call it like I see it.  This could get to Top 10-12 summer domestic.  It's already #26 DOM, just after 6 days.

There are 80m regular church goers, these films are never going to be 4 quadrants but could be very successful mid budget movies and definitely shouldn't be openly alienated. But with Jesus Revolution I believe that denomination? don't know if that's what you would call that lineage of pastors is viewed as heretical by some catholics which probably limited it's audience.

14 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

This all most of my observations about the state of the box office, which seem to keep being viewed as problematic and handcuffing me, but from the looks of the board I vote very similar or further to left but am alienated by subversion and deconstruction which I find very spitefull and petty. Imagine how 1/2 the country feels?

People who really like what hollywood is currently doing have contorted themselves into an odd position where they know they don't like a lot of people and enjoy that those people don't like the current zeitgeist of movies, but can't acknowledge reducing the audience is reducing the box office grosses.

Edited by rebelscum86
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Nah, these people have just contorted themselves into thinking Hollywood is woke because there's a gay person or woman in a role every now and then.

90% of movies released in a year have no "woke" message or agenda. But they're told otherwise by their bubble, so they avoid it. Then they go see their propaganda films.

• Like 19
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

Nah, these people have just contorted themselves into thinking Hollywood is woke because there's a gay person or woman in a role every now and then.

90% of movies released in a year have no "woke" message or agenda. But they're told otherwise by their bubble, so they avoid it. Then they go see their propaganda films.

lol yeah...I feel like some people here are really naive. They need to go to one of Trump's rallies and ask people's thoughts about Hollywood...you'd hear some utterly crazy conspiracy theories

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Cap said:

Me, after having a nice couple hours with my dog:

pizza fire GIF

lol I just went through the same thing. My sister came over, we were playing some video games, then I woke up to some disc horse. It's like people knew I would be gone lol

It's really not that bad. Just a couple of people posting things that are a little bit incendiary that you guys have asked us not to post. Shouldn't take that long to clean it up.