baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

38 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm like Mr. Negativity (that would be my MCU character!) but Mission Impossible will be fine. One, there is zero reason for a 7th entry in a franchise that frankly looked like it peaked with Fallout to have a sudden steep increase because....irrational hopium as a result of Top Gun? Especially when older whites see movies at less rate than when Fallout came out? 220 would be excellent given the Part One factor and all the competing titles (Indy, Oppenbarbie). Second, it's Tuesday. I love this franchise so much. But it's a fucking Tuesday on a non-holiday week. I couldn't rush out and see it and neither could the rest of the audience. Even if the Deadline estimate is correct, which it likely isn't, then it'll be fine.

As a result of me being positive for once it will likely do less than 6m previews and like 160 domestic, huh?

I have been screaming this.  us  adults have jobs. we don't take a 3  month leaves  from work because kids are out of school. I am chomping at the bit too see this movie but not going until saturday. 

42 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Worth noting MI5/6 were released during summer break while MI7 is not (so weekend bump should be better) and that MI7 already burned some demand through 166k admits in sneaks/previews. Plus higher ATP and much lower competition (doesn't seem like Barbie is taking off that well in SK) probably get it to ~rogue nation gross I think.

Still a pretty underwhelming start compared to expectations though, just putting some context.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

Hi

Remember when I saw a Rocky XXV, advert... Yeah it was a joke obviously and so

are Fast X and MI7, 8... Whatever.

And this comes from a Tom Cruise longtime fan.

Despite all other aspects of Hollywood going slowly but surely down with profits on majority

of new releases, Fatigue is kicking in harder then ever!

Just wondering if anybody can come with a decent new movie that has original plot.

• Like 1

Honestly 8.5M is pretty good for MI7. Especially since its quite a bit over Deadline's estimate it indicates walk-ups were strong. See how it holds today should be a more normal day for it. 

Edit: I just saw that includes the 2M from early acess showings. Ah well. Still not a terrible number. 

Edited by Fanboy
  • Like 2

If you’re working 9-5 then you’re either seeing the movie straight from work or you’re probably waiting until the weekend. 
If PLF’s were around the clock this would be less of an issue. 

It’s almost a shame this couldn’t have opened last weekend as there was a gap there due to Indy’s underperformance.  Considering it’s such an amazing mega blockbuster it’s a travesty it gets barely a week and then Oppenheimer kicks it out. Oh well. 

I also feel like the younger summer audience with the free time in the day aren’t necessarily on the MI train, despite Top Gun’s crossover last year.  

Edited by wildphantom

1 hour ago, LegionWrex said:

At least WOM on it seems to be strong. CinemaScore is likely tomorrow right?

94% verified audience score after 500+ votes. This is in line with JW4. Seem like my view is in line with the GA. I love the movie very much, it is non-stop , attention grabbing adventure throughout. 

Fallout opened on Thursday. This is literally opening on discount Tuesday and EA shows definitely took the wind out of Tuesday previews. 

Demographic for this is not the one that will rush out on a Tuesday .

8.5m number is fine . Calling it underwhelming this far out is Abit of a stretch.

• Like 3

We have had disappointing weekend after disappointing weekend this summer and I'd expect the same this weekend.  But, like a volcano erupting we finally get to what feels like the Main Event....Barbie-Oppenheimer.  These two movies are going to knee capped all the other movies but will save the summer box office.

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

It does feel like the Barbie/Oppenheimer pairing has just sucked the life out of all the post-ATSV movies tbh. 

I will just repeat what I said 11 days ago:

What if neither Mission: Impossible, Barbie or Oppenheimer don’t "save the summer" at all? Does the Summer needs to be saved?

If I was going to bet one movie breaking out, that would be Barbie, but that’s what most of us have been saying for months anyway. And even with Barbie breaking out, would it have what it takes to top either Vol. 3 WW or ATSV DOM? Barbie needs far less to be profitable sure, but it’s not like the Buzz thread didn’t indicate that’s where MI7 was heading. Or Barbie and Oppenheimer for that matter as well.

For the box office as a whole, I imagine that the Summer’s box office will still come up on top of last year’s total when it’s all said and done.

Edited by ZattMurdock