baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

• Founder / Operator
9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Right, for a true Tuesday number...if it was $4.5M true Tuesday (and thus only $.5M over SoF true Tuesday) plus $2.5M EA shows for a $7M full Tuesday, that would have not been so good:).

See, now that we figured out $9.5M is actual "full" Tuesday, all of us are happy again and looking forward to some great numbers for today and the whole week:)...

Even with a true Tuesday around $5M, give or take, I think it still would have been good. Discount Tuesday is very popular among older audiences, so it probably would have (technically still does) set up a better multiplier from Tuesday to Wednesday than we usually see for Thursday to Friday.

But yeah, either way, we now know. 

• Like 2

Just now, MightyDargon said:

Would prefer 275 with its production budget, but yeah, it should be profitable theatrically, which clearly puts it in a different league from stuff like Fast X and Beasts, let alone Indy/Flash.

The only reason I threw out "500" was the fight with Zatt over GOTG3/Mario's release date. It wasn't meant as an insult to MI.

What’s with your hard on mentioning me here all the time, it’s kinda weirding me out and I would like to stop. 

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

How much Indy made this Tuesday btw, do we have numbers for that yet?

• Like 1

Hmmm so Shawn and Jat disagree in terms of whether or not the opening for mission Impossible is good. Interesting 

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

What’s with your hard on mentioning me here all the time, it’s kinda weirding me out and I would like to stop. 

A large part of this thread is you and I going off on your idea to reschedule GOTG3, a movie that was actually succesful, and somehow push Mario (which outgrossed all the MCU and DCU movies this year) off its release date.

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

Again I'm saying this without passion or prejudice towards mission impossible. Why does an extra 2.5 million get you excited when that was done over a two-day period. The preview numbers are on par with Indiana jones. I don't know what that means at this point because it's opening up basically on a Monday night. I'm curious to see what the numbers are going to be like for Friday Saturday Sunday.

I think the actual point would be that if the $7m was the full previews (sun,mon and tuesday), that would mean it only did 4.5m on tuesday and that would be a terrible number for a 2pm full preview day start. On the other hand $7m in and of itself is quite a bit better and about on par with MI:F (that made $6m with 7pm start).

The $2.5m extra itself doesn't mean anything but the the difference in true tuesday previews does. Or atleast that's how I think people interpret it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Do you really think that it would do so much better if it was a better film?

Even its pre-sales lost steam after reviews... a well received Quantumania could have cleared $120m FSS, $140m by opening Monday and legged it to $300m+ dom and like $600-700m+ worldwide.

Edited by toutvabien

I've noticed an interesting trend here at the forums that I can't say I recall in the past.

People are bringing up random movies and saying, insert movie here, is going to make less than random movie is.

When people say something like Indiana Jones and the dial of Destiny is going to make less money than my big fat Greek wedding or mission Impossible 7 is going to make less than Iron man 2, I don't see the relevance in these comparisons. I mean why not say insidious part 5 is going to make less than gone with the wind. Or Flash is going to make less than Rocky. 🤷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I think the actual point would be that if the $7m was the full previews (sun,mon and tuesday), that would mean it only did 4.5m on tuesday and that would be a terrible number for a 2pm full preview day start. On the other hand $7m in and of itself is quite a bit better and about on par with MI:F (that made $6m with 7pm start).

The $2.5m extra itself doesn't mean anything but the the difference in true tuesday previews does. Or atleast that's how I think people interpret it.

Yes, that makes much more sense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Hmmm so Shawn and Jat disagree in terms of whether or not the opening for mission Impossible is good. Interesting 

It's all about expectations...for open, for follow on weekly and weekend days, and for legs...

I mean, I was in that spot earlier this summer saying things were good when others were like "this is horrible" b/c I had lower expectations for open and overall...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Even its pre-sales lost steam after reviews... a well received Quantumania could have cleared $120m FSS, $140m by opening Monday and legged it to $300m+ dom and like $600-700m+ worldwide.

I legit think that the very idea of Quantumania was a mistake. You needed to kill Scott, just like it happens in the comics (not really killed by Kang there, but did set the Young Avengers in motion). You needed to have Kang to have his Thanos moment. But I’m not sure you could do that with an Ant-Man film. I do think they did consider that. The film seems to indicate it will go there. Until it does not. Not sure if that would be better received or not. But it’s where the film needed to go, in my opinion.

Edited by ZattMurdock

The most impressive thing about Barbie is how they've managed to avoid any backlash about it being a problematic toy that set a harmful and impossible beauty standard for girls starting around age 5. 

When you think of Barbie, the image that comes to mind is white, blonde, blue eyes, thin, impossibly narrow waste, big tits, literally 1939's wet dream. 

Populating the movie with actors of color in the background maybe did the trick. 

I'd say this in the movie's thread but those members living vicariously through Margot Robbie as a pink-clad doll are very quick to report. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Knock It Off 1

Basically what happened was MI7 performed within expectations but towards the high end of expectations and its not a "dead" movie.

Of course Deadline screwed things up as usual by saying last night the previews were included in the 7 mil before saying they were not and the 7 mil was just last night today.

Deadline can always be counted on to cock things up even when their estimates are technically "accurate".