baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Yea let's put the Doomsday clock to one minute to midnight after day one of the most backloaded franchise in Hollywood. Let's see where we stand come Sunday.

The doom n bloomers are getting their speed reps in before the weekend

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Souther said:

Were you happy when The Fault in our stars destroyed Edge of Tomorrow? 

I have no problem with TH Fault in our Stars. It was a good movie enjoyed by audience. It's not the reason EOT flopped and i'm not gonna be mad at The Fault for EOT flopping. It's a ridiculous take

You can’t buy most of Barbie’s marketing and awareness though. It’s just organic and viral. 

Most of the hype and buzz doesn’t cost WB a penny. 

Films will try to recreate it and will fall flat. It can’t be replicated on purpose. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

LMAO. Okay, buddy. You are just mad because the IP you like might not make as much money as the IP you have no interest of, to the point of childishly hating on it. Barbie isn’t winning "because of memes and Tik Tok". Memes and tik tok will one day go away.

If Mattel play their cards right, and they certainly have been playing for god knows how much decades since when since I never owned a Barbie - little known fact, I wanted a Barbie that came with her gym one when I was a kid to play with my Spider-Man toys, true story. Shame I never got that - Barbie’s importance to kids across the globe will keep being perennial, either as a doll or something entirely different. That’s why Barbie is popular, because of the attachment and nostalgia, not the actual memes and Tik Tok. Those are just part of the fun and vehicles to beat the IP’s drum and hype up the film. It could be MySpace. It could be literally anything else.

Memes and tik tok definitely contributed greatly. If it was released in 80s, it would've done like Howard The Duck.

Edited by TomThomas

14 minutes ago, Souther said:

What does this even mean? I thought the fault in our stars sucked but it was a well-received film by both critics and audiences.

Is the point supposed to be "any film going up against overlord Cruise deserves to flop because I don't like it" or what? Edge of tomorrow did poorly domestic regardless of the fault in our stars (with which it hardly even shared audience), this point is completely moot

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Souther said:

I wouldn’t say that TFIOS “destroyed” EOT. Since both movies while released on the same day, both made $100M+ DOM each. And both co-existed.

Edge of Tomorrow = $100M

The Fault in Our Stars = $124M

Worldwide-wise, Edge did actually beat out Stars.

Edge of Tomorrow = $370M WW

The Fault in Our Stars = $307M WW

So, no. While Stars did more than Edge in the US, it didn’t destroy it, perse.

Just now, Krissykins said:

You can’t buy most of Barbie’s marketing and awareness though. It’s just organic and viral. 

Most of the hype and buzz doesn’t cost WB a penny. 

Films will try to recreate it and will fall flat. It can’t be replicated on purpose. 

I don’t think people understand that. They think there is a formula and that’s happening because of Tik Tok. Tik Tok is just the current vehicle. It would happen if it was any other social media platform. It’s popular because kids, women or not grew up playing with Barbies and there is a whole imagery associated with LGBTQ people and the Aqua’s song and etc etc, it’s not the memes, it predates memes. It’s the cultural relevance of the brand. Similar to what Super Mario Bros means to kids as well.

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I have no problem with TH Fault in our Stars. It was a good movie enjoyed by audience. It's not the reason EOT flopped and i'm not gonna be mad at The Fault for EOT flopping. It's a ridiculous take

hallelujah 

:worthy:

14 minutes ago, McNerdy said:

How so?

Some people (me) are not okay with Tom Cruise and his treatment of his daughter. Also, some people (me) are not interested in 10.000 sequels.
Lastly, some people (me) have to be in a good headspace to watch a nauseating film about humans wiping out whole cities of innocents. 

That doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate quality films.

Your arguments make no sense whatsoever, you're looking for excuses. If you care that someone who makes movies is a flawed person (who's not even cancellation worthy flawed), maybe you shouldn't watch them in general because most people in Hollywood are really flawed. Sequel or not has nothing to do with quality, like at all. As well as movie's thematic stuff.

Edited by TomThomas

Just now, Mr Roark said:

Break even point theatrically for DR is around what? Roughly $900M?

I think @kowhite used to say x2 the budget it’s a good rule of thumb. He would know. So if the $295m budget for the film is true (apparently the same as Dial of Destiny) I’d wager it’s unlikely either will make its money back with box office alone. Both will make a killing on PVOD though, so eventually I firmly believe that both will make its money back. More conservative estimates would say around $900m for either of the two films, yes.

10 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t think people understand that. They think there is a formula and that’s happening because of Tik Tok. Tik Tok is just the current vehicle. It would happen if it was any other social media platform. It’s popular because kids, women or not grew up playing with Barbies and there is a whole imagery associated with LGBTQ people and the Aqua’s song and etc etc, it’s not the memes, it predates memes. It’s the cultural relevance of the brand. Similar to what Super Mario Bros means to kids as well.

Yeh I actually don’t think it’s TikTok either, this started on Twitter. 

• Like 1

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Unfortunately it's in the middle of shooting, so the strike will kick it into 2025 as well.

And I’d wager it wouldn’t have a "big jump" even if it was released in six months, let alone in 2025. That’s what Beyond the Spider-Verse is getting no matter what, not MI7 Pt. 2. Not even good will towards the film would do that, the franchise clearly has a ceiling.

2 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

When was the last time a live action sequel ended up being the highest grossing in a franchise? Doctor Strange 2 over a year ago? Sequel fatigue seems to be a huge thing among the GA for some reason. I think some people saw MI7 and were turned off because they felt they had to watch 6 movies to understand it.

Scream VI outgrossed every Scream except the first.

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Scream VI outgrossed every Scream except the first.

I mean… come on lol. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse and anyone claiming that Avatar 2 underperformed would be utterly insane, same for Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3. So yeah @IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son Jimbo’s kid, ATSV is the latest one.

1 minute ago, Claudio said:

We need Tom Cruise in the MCU!!!!

Ew. No we don’t. I said what I’ve said. Bring back Katie Holmes though, I miss her.

Edited by ZattMurdock