CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

24 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I learned a box office fact that blew my mind today. 

At the time of its release, the R-rated Pretty Woman was the 4th highest grossing film OF ALL TIME at the global box office, topped only by ET, Star Wars and (barely) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (it actually outgrossed Indy outside the US). 

Imagine a movie making that kind of $$ today on the sheer magnetism of its leading lady. 

I hate to be that guy but Jaws was also a bigger hit worldwide then pretty woman was. 476 to 463.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not sold that Hunger Games gets there. Trailer plays to stone silence and J Law IS the franchise. Plus, it looks insanely bleak for an audience that doesn't go for that anymore.

It's definitely a wild card and opening on the heels of Dune (which, while it will certainly do better than Part One, feels overpredicted in certain circles) and Marvels won't help, but it depends on if Lionsgate can get people interested in a prequel with no one from the OG movies and what the reviews are like. Personally a Fantastic Beasts 1 run always felt like the absolute best case scenario even if everything went right here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

One of Nun 2, Five Nights at Freddy (if they pivot off streaming), or Exorcist should crawl past 100 but that's it.

Agreed. The horror movies don’t need as much marketing spend or press from actors. 

10 minutes ago, MightGuy said:

There's a growing gap in the middle of the box office. The hits HIT HARD. But folks used to use their disposable income to maybe see a film that they weren't amazingly hyped for.

I think a combination of streaming and a lack of disposable income thanks to economic conditions means folks are willing to wait if it's not checking off their lists with pure 10s.

This is true. I didn't want to believe this before but this summer is suggesting that things have changed.

For example, the Bank of Canada has raised rates again. Meaning folks on variable rate loans are paying more than they might have ever paid. Coupled with the high inflation and buying movie tickets is kind of at the bottom of a lot of people's priorities.

Audience behavior has changed and a segment of audiences just don't feel the need to rush out to see movies like they did before. Especially as almost everyone is paying for streaming.

Edited by Deathlife

I remember how shocked we were that Mockingjay 1 could go so low: That was back a full decade when the franchise was still actually relevant and popular.

Incidentally, that movie was the one where Hollywood officially said “Part 1 titles are a box office curse” and I have no idea what made them abandon that train of thought for MI… 

Edited by MovieMan89

Paramount is to blame for thei terrible scheduling and lax marketing but Cruise/McQuarrie made a dumb creative decision in calling this a “Part One”, leading many to likely think this is just a long trailer for the next one. There’s a reason even stuff like Avengers and Spiderverse moved away from the Part One labeling 

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not sold that Hunger Games gets there. Trailer plays to stone silence and J Law IS the franchise. Plus, it looks insanely bleak for an audience that doesn't go for that anymore.

I think it should get to atleast 100m, it still has solid fanbase and some nostalgia now. Plus new fans are discovering it on streaming. 

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Gotta be honest, the idea of watching a movie that's about how an innocent man transforms into a corrupted and evil government official...doesn't really work as a fun action blockbuster in 2023. Not sure why.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I hate to be that guy but Jaws was also a bigger hit worldwide then pretty woman was. 476 to 463.

Do you buy that it made 200M+ overseas in the '70s? Did overseas markets even exist to generate such revenue? Or was it through subsequent anniversaries and re-releases that it grossed that? 

Looking at articles from 1993 when Jurassic Park became the highest-grossing film internationally, Jaws is not listed. At the time, the 10th biggest grosser outside the US was Beauty and the Beast at 202M. 

• Like 1

Just now, Flopped said:

Do you buy that it made 200M+ overseas in the '70s? Did overseas markets even exist to generate such revenue? Or was it through subsequent anniversaries and re-releases that it grossed that? 

Looking at articles from 1993 when Jurassic Park became the highest-grossing film internationally, Jaws is not listed. At the time, the 10th biggest grosser outside the US was Beauty and the Beast at 202M. 

If you say so. I'm just looking at Mojo. 

Predicts for rest of year to hit 100m

Barbie - 400m

Wish - 200m

Marvels - 200m

Oppenheimer - 190m

Mission Impossible - 180

SOF - 180

Wonka - 160m

Migration - 160m

Dune 2 - 155

Aquaman - 145

Trolls 2 - 110m

Meg 2 - 105m

Haunted Mansion - 100m

Ghostbusters (if not delayed) - 100m

That's 28 - a big increase from last year but bad in comparison to pre-pandemic years. Maybe something like Nun, KOTFM, TMNT, or Hunger Games surprises and gets it to 30.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Incidentally, that movie was the one where Hollywood officially said “Part 1 titles are a box office curse” and I have no idea what made them abandon that train of thought for MI… 

Infinity War and Endgame made everyone think anyone could do it.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Paramount is to blame for thei terrible scheduling and lax marketing but Cruise/McQuarrie made a dumb creative decision in calling this a “Part One”, leading many to likely think this is just a long trailer for the next one. There’s a reason even stuff like Avengers and Spiderverse moved away from the Part One labeling 

Yes that was stupid. Especially since he says he wants to continue the MI franchise after DR. People are gonna be real confused probably thinking Part 2 is the last one.