CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Trying to figure out if it can least hit 50 for the weekend. It would probably have to do at least 20 on saturday and  16 on sunday. The length shoulld make saturday the high water day for this. Will see. 

It’s Paramount #neverforget

• Haha 1

MI7, barbie and Opp will all three leg it out during August and well into September to keep those months even or above last year's level. So all in all this year will stay well over last year up to october. From there on it's anyone's guess. But so far the year has been a great year overall for box office recovery. 

Is Tom Cruise's career finished now? MI series will be over after DR:2, since Paramount would lose or make a meager profit once part 2 releases. His non franchise films have all flopped in the last 17 years and apart from Top Gun, there is no other film in his resume that he could make a franchise on. I think he is going to do another Top Gun film in the next 3-4 years and that will be his only successful film. His space film with Doug Liman would be really expensive to make (the budget is 200 M+ and the box office grosses might not be 400 M WW) and Universal might shelve it after the underperformance of Mission Impossible 7. The only option I think Cruise has is take those fat cheques from streaming services and do what Adam Sandler is doing, i.e make streaming films. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 5

1 hour ago, upriser7 said:

No...reason is pretty simple. A section of audience have gotten used to streaming a lot during covid and they are not coming to theatres easily. This is not just America specific phenomenon...I've seen it happen in other countries too. Once a section people understood that a newly released movie comes onto streaming platform within 2-3 months, they realized no point in going to theatres and just wait till it arrives on streaming platform

With MI7, I think it's mostly just the looming Barbenheimer and terrible scheduling by Paramount. which also severely hurt D&D and Transformers. Honestly, seeing some of these terrible summer performances from much more established theatrical brands, D&D BO almost seems above average and could have broken out in a less crowded month. :(

SOF is also taking away the right-wingers from Cruise who turned up for him last summer because there were fewer options for them. 

1 minute ago, Souther said:

Is Tom Cruise's career finished now? MI series will be over after DR:2, since Paramount would lose or make a meager profit once part 2 releases. His non franchise films have all flopped in the last 17 years and apart from Top Gun, there is no other film in his resume that he could make a franchise on. I think he is going to do another Top Gun film in the next 3-4 years and that will be his only successful film. His space film with Doug Liman would be really expensive to make (the budget is 200 M+ and the box office grosses might not be 400 M WW) and Universal might shelve it after the underperformance of Mission Impossible 7. The only option I think Cruise has is take those fat cheques from streaming services and do what Adam Sandler is doing, i.e make streaming films. 

All of the non-MI and TGM movies, barring Edge of Tomorrow were mid to bad and they still overperformed relative to quality. Jack Reacher made over 3x its budget, heck The Mummy made over $410m. Even Oblivion which was pretty mid made close to $300m.

Edge of Tomorrow was the only true disappointment because it was great but folks were probably burned with Oblivion.

And then Fallout and TGM became Cruise's biggest hits of all time back to back. His goodwill is at an all time high. So, DR's underperformance is baffling to me.

I can't remember the last time an instalment with great reviews and an A Cinemascore coming off a beloved high watermark for a franchise both critically and financially and with its star also delivering another gigantic hit, underperform this severely relative to expectations

1 minute ago, Souther said:

Tom Cruise is not doing streaming movies. He has made it pretty clear time and time again that he makes movies for the big screen. 

Just now, emoviefan said:

Tom Cruise is not doing streaming movies. He has made it pretty clear time and time again that he makes movies for the big screen. 

When the studios won't put money on him, what choice would he have? 

40 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Mission and Opp should have swapped spots. I very likely would have preferred a Barbenpossible huge success to Barbenheimer. 

that would have not nearly have reached the meme level and furor of Barbenheimer, c'mon now lol. the meme is the darkness of oppenheimer contrasted with the lightness of barbie, you don't get that with mission impossible - what you're asking for would be less grosses for all three movies really

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Algebra said:

All of the non-MI and TGM movies, barring Edge of Tomorrow were mid to bad and they still overperformed relative to quality. Jack Reacher made over 3x its budget, heck The Mummy made over $410m. Even Oblivion which was pretty mid made close to $300m.

Edge of Tomorrow was the only true disappointment because it was great but folks were probably burned with Oblivion.

And then Fallout and TGM became Cruise's biggest hits of all time back to back. His goodwill is at an all time high. So, DR's underperformance is baffling to me.

I can't remember the last time an instalment with great reviews and an A Cinemascore coming off a beloved high watermark for a franchise both critically and financially and with its star also delivering another gigantic hit, underperform this severely relative to expectations

Merica!

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Everyone has a price and from what i remember Cruise put a lot of his own money into dead reckoning so he's likely going to be in need of some quick cash soon.

1 minute ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Everyone has a price and from what i remember Cruise put a lot of his own money into dead reckoning so he's likely going to be in need of some quick cash soon.

TGM probably dealt with that 

1 minute ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Lol what...he didn't put anything into it. All he did was take just $12.5m upfront instead of his usual $25m+ to get backend points. So, the only price he's gonna pay is missing out on those points

2 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Only Shah Rukh Khan won't do streaming films. Cruise will do them in the near future. BTW, where did you read that Cruise put his own money in DR?