CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think coexistence was easier in older times because technology allowed it to be. There was only so many screens a film could take with a 35mm print while you can scale endlessly with digital. That's what's fueling giant openings and mediocre legs because the demand doesn't get spread out. 

That's a really good point, I never thought of that.

• Like 1

This is sad and disappointing since Dead Reckoning Part 1 deserves all the money in the world but im with @baumer, theres no reason for now to overreact so much. Even if this movie fails to get the same great legs as the last Mission Impossible films, a total of over 550M WW is pretty much already guaranteed. If the legs are indeed similar to prior entrys, 650M+ is still in the cards. Thats less than even Rogue Nation, sure. But its no flop.

And much more important: The film is actually really great. Dead Reckoning Part 2 - especially if the marketing it GOOD this time - would have every reason to increase.

And Cruises career is not over LMAO the man could be running around Paramounts Headquarters naked and scream that Universal is the better studio for 10 Hours straight and they would still have no choice but to follow his wishes.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1

4 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

Just makes you realize how great March and part of April was for the box office. Seemed like every movie over performed except for D&D.

Poor Shazam 2. We're literally forgetting it even existed.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, baumer said:

But let's give it a worst case scenario and say that it does 160 domestic and 450 internationally. Is a 600 million gross really that terrible? It's not great but it's not horrible.

Under normal circumstances, that would be interpreted as in line with the franchise. Solid, absolutely acceptable and would be written off as another win.

But given the circumstances (COVID) that led to that inflated budget ($300M) and the overall expectations with "finale factor" (albeit this is Part One), then it's pre-tay, pre-tay, pre-tay not great, Bau.

Just now, wildphantom said:

The Covid inflated budgets not being the production’s fault should mean we cut these things some slack.  Would be interesting to get some numbers on how much the delays added to Indy and MI. 

I don’t understand this. I legitimately do not understand this. You have several good reasons to give Tom Cruise hell. But no one, and I say absolutely no one can criticize him for not being a trooper when it comes to keeping people working in a safe environment during COVID. And guess what? Same can be said about the Indiana Jones and Dial of Destiny production.

I know we all have the attention span of goldfishes these days, but the pandemic happened, millions and millions of people died and these productions kept soldiering on through one of the most scary times that we’ve ever faced. I see people caring about this film and wishing it could do more and then I see the treatment that DoD got and it pisses me off. Ford deserved better, yes. Cruise deserved better, yes. It is what it is, but I’m pretty sure that unlike The Flash, both these films will end up making their money back, even if it isn’t through box office receipts alone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cruise's career is over. It's not like he gave the biggest non-fantasy action hit in history last year and it's not like his other big action franchise is quite possibly the most consistent series in history with the RT scores of the last 4 installments being in the 90s.

One miss and no studio will work with whom everyone calls the last great movie star.

That is why Barbie stars bonafide Box Office legends Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling and Oppenheimer stars consistent Box office champ Cilian Murphy

• Thanks 4

4 hours ago, KJsooner said:

I found John Wick chapter 4 third act kinda boring. I liked the film, but it was definitely overrated. The third act went way too long, and the brought the film down an entire letter grade. Very repetitive action. 

unpopular opinion: all the John Wick films are overrated. It’s a meme run amok.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

What do studios take away from the box office so far this year?

Gen X and older millennials are going less to the theater or are just extremely picky what they'll see.

Gen Z doesn't care about theaters unless its a Tik Tok/Meme that they can be a part of or make it about themselves.  I have a feeling next weekend will be ALOT of Tik Toks with people dressed all in pink but once inside they'll be on their phone watching Tik Toks instead of the movie.

Mario and Barbie will be the 2 biggest movies of the year.  So, find more IPs that cross over multiple generations to make movies of....

Edited by JimmyB
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

43 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I think coexistence was easier in older times because technology allowed it to be. There was only so many screens a film could take with a 35mm print while you can scale endlessly with digital. That's what's fueling giant openings and mediocre legs because the demand doesn't get spread out. 

There is some truth here. [Let me tell you, running a 35MM print through multiple projectors (aka interlocking) was often a nightmare, something you only pulled out when you absolutely had to. Boy do I have some stories ...]

But also there's been a mentality shift on the exhibitor side, all the majors now publicly traded, and the concerns about market share, grabbing as much as they can for the OW and not caring about how it affects the legs for that film, or the others getting cut to make room, nor the health of the market overall. The worst thing that can happen, in their view, is not having a potential customer get shut out of OW, but having them go to a competitor who is playing it on 8 screens instead of your 6.

Couple that with some out of date tracking methods that far too often over or under-project releases, improperly allocating screen space when it is not needed, and its become overly cannibalistic. And without enough product to keep the pipeline going, its helping to encourage the OW or bust, wait for streaming, mentality. The whole industry, both the studio and exhibitor side, needs to get with the times, learn how to adapt, because it sure doesn't look like we're going to revert to pre-pandemic audience levels any time soon

• Like 3

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

It really does feel like Barbie (and to a lesser extent Oppenheimer) is being set to explode as the summer's 4 quad blockbuster. Probably helping it that it just looks like such a flat-out fun time at movies free of the baggage that so many of the long in the tooth franchises of this season have.

I wouldn’t go do far as to say I forgot M:I existed this week but I do think it’s fair to say barbenheimer sucked a fair amount of oxygen from this film’s recent hype. 

Edited by Hatebox

16 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

What do studios take away from the box office so far this year?

Gen X and older millennials are going less to the theater or are just extremally picky what they'll see.

Gen Z doesn't care about theaters unless its a Tik Tok/Meme that they can be a part of or make it about themselves.  I have a feeling next weekend will be ALOT of Tik Toks with people dressed all in pink but once inside they'll be on their phone watching Tik Toks instead of the movie.

Mario and Barbie will be the 2 biggest movies of the year.  So, find more IPs that cross over multiple generations to make movies of....

I’m old, and I’m not pretending to have a pulse on what the youth wants, but experience with BOT and box office trends I’m pretty sure that this is some conclusion based on hot takes made on film and box office circles. Meaning, incorrect. 

There is no TikTok / Meme trend for Super Mario Bros, Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, The Little Mermaid and Elemental. And yet arguably at least four of those performed extremely well at the box office, with The Little Mermaid I’d argue being a runaway success domestic which I imagine it’s doing insane numbers with ancillaries.

People keep saying this shit about memes and TikTok about Barbie and look, most of the people I see going crazy for Barbie are women from 25 years old onwards. Literally none of them have TikTok accounts. They are excited because Barbie was part of their lives, just like Super Mario Bros were part of people’s lives growing up, same could be said about Spidey, Guardians and TLM. 

It isn’t really that people want "new things", or that people are fatigued with Marvel, superhero films or Tom Cruise. It isn’t even that people are that picky, and you just need to look at Super Mario Bros for that. People want to see stuff they feel a personal attachment to it. It might be corny, but it’s not that hard to see the pattern.

Edit:

Also an addendum: I’m hyped for Barbie as a box office junkie, but I think people expecting to be the biggest film of the year next to Super Mario Bros are kinda setting themselves up for potential disappointment. It’s obviously breaking out, but I don’t think it’s guaranteed it’s topping ATSV domestic and Vol. 3 WW, let alone get close to SMB. It could happen, but let’s see where it goes.

Edited by ZattMurdock

21 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t understand this. I legitimately do not understand this. You have several good reasons to give Tom Cruise hell. But no one, and I say absolutely no one can criticize him for not being a trooper when it comes to keeping people working in a safe environment during COVID. And guess what? Same can be said about the Indiana Jones and Dial of Destiny production.

I know we all have the attention span of goldfishes these days, but the pandemic happened, millions and millions of people died and these productions kept soldiering on through one of the most scary times that we’ve ever faced. I see people caring about this film and wishing it could do more and then I see the treatment that DoD got and it pisses me off. Ford deserved better, yes. Cruise deserved better, yes. It is what it is, but I’m pretty sure that unlike The Flash, both these films will end up making their money back, even if it isn’t through box office receipts alone.

MI probably yes .

Indy 5 Lol no. Not with 300-400m estimated budget before marketing

Ford deserved better but that was crystal skull . Indy 5 really didn't need to be made.

This is struggling to make 400m and even without covid inflated budget . It still would struggle at the box office and WOM is even fine and better than KOTCS.

Some including  myself thought  this would do better  and even be one of the highest grossing but the  franchise has run its course and crystal skull was sort of the proverbial nail on the coffin. 80 year old Ford doesn't do it for the audience and I really doubt recasting him would help it and the current movie going audience find him outdated.

• Haha 1

I would've been completely fine if it was a lackluster product and underperformed.

But this was clearly a labour of love and has been well received by critics and audiences and even if you completely ignore Top Gun Maverick, you still have to acknowledge the goodwill from the excellent Fallout releases just 5 years back (the same year as Into the Spiderverse whose sequel saw a huge jump).

So, this performance is utterly baffling to me. You can't say its audience has aged out...Fallout was just 5 years back and did brilliantly.

And my biggest worry is that it's not just opened underwhelmingly in the US but so far there's been no sign of WOM driven huge legs in the US and in Cruise and MI loving markets like South Korea and China as an example. At this rate, even Japan's gonna disappoint.

If legs aren't strong in the first weekend itself, how do we expect them to ramp up in the coming days?

Edit: Its projections are also falling with every single update. Last time I saw this for a Cruise movie was The Mummy 

Edited by Algebra