CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

He's probably talking about Inside Out which opened on JW's 2nd weekend and made 91M on #2.

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I thought you meant biggest P2 opening in general which is Inside Out

OK, I get the distinction now.

14 hours ago, Morieris said:

My first thought reading this was "I will be extremely surprised if The Creator comes out this year if the strike continues into late next month."

It’s coming and just get a new trailer that looks AMAZING omg i’m so excited 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It’s coming and just get a new trailer that looks AMAZING omg i’m so excited 

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This looks so fucking good I can't wait

• Astonished 1

The Creator doesn’t look great but at this point I can’t help but root for a non IP movie that looks like it’s had more than 20m spent on it. Water in the desert. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, lab276 said:

Someone should tell them that this year is still over 12%, or half a billion dollars ahead of last year, with probably what’s going to be the biggest movie of the year yet to release. 

Yeah, the gap with 2022 is about to increase. Late July, August and September schedule are way stronger than last year.

2023 is looking to finish with around 9.5 billion. Still behind prepandemic level, but over last year's 7.36 billion.

July 2023 can get to 1.2 or 1.3 billion in domestic gross.

Summer of 2022 and 2023 has been close to pre-pandemic numbers because there have been enough tentpoles to cover up the lack of depth in the market place, but this July is the first time, unless Barbie disappoints severely (which I doubt), that we’re above some recent pre-COVID years in gross.

So far we are at 551m. The weekdays of July 17-20 can do another 70m and get it to 620m. Then Barbenheimer weekend can do 280m and get us to 900m. Barbenheimer weekdays can do 140m and get us to 1.040b. The weekend of July 28-30 can do another 180m getting us to 1.220, and the month would end around 1.24b. Not bad.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, back from MI...it almost has the same problem as Sound of Freedom - enjoying staying in its scenes just too long.  I'd have made the same movie, and cropped it to 2 hour 30 min, with no loss.  

Of the family, I'm the only one to have seen all the MI movies (a few had seen 1-2 and some saw none), so hilariously, I gave it the lowest grade at B+/B.

Spouse, all 3 boys (family friend and my 2 youngest) and younger girl gave it an A-.

Oldest daughter gave it a B+.

All very happy, although all talking the implausibility of some scenes in the car - I mentioned the title says "Mission Impossible" so how plausible do you think some of this is gonna be:)...they said true!

It's really interesting that you mentioned you're the only one who has seen all the mission Impossible movies and you gave it the lowest score. That's exactly what happened to me with insidious part 5. I saw it with my brother and my 13 year old niece who loves horror movies but has only seen one insidious movie and my brother hadn't seen any of them. They enjoyed it way more than I did and I gave it the lowest score as well.

I guess the moral of the story is when you're five and seven deep into a franchise maybe we expect too much or maybe the filmmakers didn't do enough LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

in some markets it’s definitely underperforming. Domestic, China, Germany, Italy, and Spain come to mind. Think domestic is being hurt by Barbenheimer hype and Sound of Freedom taking away adult audiences (the weak marketing didn’t help). China I believe it faces competition from multiple local releases 

Can’t really call Domestic an underperformance if it’s essentially flat with MI6..Next week will be key

China for sure

Germany, Italy, Spain and South Korea (thus far) covered well by UK, Aus, India and others. Apparently hit franchise highs in 35 markets

Edited by Algebra

2 hours ago, stripe said:

Could next weekend be the highest grossing weekend in postcovid era? It needs to surpass 282M

Some say yes, others no 

• Thanks 1

So, I FINALLY got a wildly different group of trailers (only Haunted Mansion, The Color Purple, Oppy. and a sneak of TMNT were repeats).  It was wild watching the trailers with my kids, who kept asking "what are those movies and how are there so many of them?"  Yep, I got Expendables 4 (I don't where the 4 goes), The Equalizer 3 (same for the 3) and Meg 2.  They were laughing at a lot of them, so I don't know if that's a good sign for their age group or not:).

I also got Killers of the Flower Moon, and that was something.  I could see that movie doing absolutely anything at the box office, low or high.  

And Bob Marley, but I was in the bathroom for most of that one (I know it was LONG though b/c it was still going when I got back:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

July 2023 can get to 1.2 or 1.3 billion in domestic gross.

Summer of 2022 and 2023 has been close to pre-pandemic numbers because there have been enough tentpoles to cover up the lack of depth in the market place, but this July is the first time, unless Barbie disappoints severely (which I doubt), that we’re above some recent pre-COVID years in gross.

So far we are at 551m. The weekdays of July 17-20 can do another 70m and get it to 620m. Then Barbenheimer weekend can do 280m and get us to 900m. Barbenheimer weekdays can do 140m and get us to 1.040b. The weekend of July 28-30 can do another 180m getting us to 1.220, and the month would end around 1.24b. Not bad.

And then, August also has potential to match prepandemic levels, thanks to holdovers and openers that should do fine (TMNT, Meg2) or should at least add more than 40M (Gran Turismo, Blue Beetle).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Iger is many things but evil is not one of them. That term should only be applied to the likes of Ron DeSantis. 

I don't see any difference between Iger and Amy Pascal or Tom Rothman. If Pascal and Rothman are considered evil, so is CEO of the most creatively bankrupt and greediest company in the industry, especially after his recent comments.

11 hours ago, Souther said:

Why is Tom Cruise not considered a huge box office star by so many on this forum and on r/boxoffice. I am from Bangladesh and I always believed that Cruise was one of the biggest stars in the world but there were folks on r/boxoffice who called me delusional and listed out the flops that Cruise has given in the last 20 years. They even consider films like Vanilla Sky, Days of Thunder and Minority Reports as flops, which I always considered "HIT" films. Is it true that he is not a huge star as the media treats him and he is on a similar level of stardom as someone like a Vin Diesel and Chris Evans

He's a huge star, anyone who claims he's on a similar level of stardom as Evans and Diesel need to check his head, it's not even close and both Vanilla Sky and Minority Report are not flops, they underperformed a bit, but definitely not flops.

Edited by TomThomas