CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Rock’s physique is not an excuse for why he can’t do non-action/dramatic roles. If he’s a good actor, he should be able to do them. 

I love The Rock but Batista has the same physique and is a way better actor and picks better roles. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

It wasn’t until I got an office job that I realized most people think they’re nerdy for being into marvel movies.

Eh IDK. Maybe it's an older people thing too.

The supervisor I was talking about with Elemental and The Little Mermaid was an older adult, so maybe she saw the movies with her kids and family.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

The supervisor I was talking about with Elemental and The Little Mermaid was an older adult, so maybe she saw the movies with her kids and family.

Never really worked an office job for what it's worth.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The funny thing was that it was younger millennials.

They would also talk about how into movies they were but what that meant was they’ve seen a couple of Coen Brothers movies.

• Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

I love The Rock but Batista has the same physique and is a way better actor and picks better roles. 

I would agree, but I also meant that as a reply to the statement that The Rock’s appearance limits him from playing those kinds of roles. Only thing that would limit him is if he’s not a good enough actor. 

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

I like the Rock, but no one is worth 50 Million up front.

Now making that much because the film is massive hit and you have a precentage of the profits is one thing, but up front.

It's streaming - there is no back end which is why the upfront paydays are usually so much larger than for theatrical.  Still enormous.

5 hours ago, Eric Stickell said:

Forgot to do this earlier, but if this follows the rest of Inside Out's run: 146.3M

Follows Finding Nemo: 168.1M

But honestly, who knows if either of these two are applicable? This thing's going by its own drum tbh.

IO was dropping 35-42% so not comparable - didn't have softer drops in the 20%s until it was $2m on it's 9th w/e

It's closer to a mini Nemo.  Nemo did $8.465m in it's 7th w/e with a 26% drop and a 14% drop in it's 8th weekend for $7.275m   It made $89.5m after it's 7th w/e and  $77m more after it's 8th w/e.   If Elemental made half of what Nemo did after it's 7th week it would be at $170m

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Does the UK not use Fandango? I tried to check my local Barbieheimer sales while on vacation in London and I think it gave my computer the avian flu or something.

No, I don't think it's a thing here. If people buy tickets in advance they probably just do it through the cinema's own site.

• Like 1

Bro Elemental's run is INSANE 

I was really annoyed because I was gonna book tickets for it this past weekend but the theaters closeby weren't playing it!  Only Spider-Verse 

I did watch the new Insidious.  It was OK.  A nice little distraction after a stressful workweek.  But not nearly as scary as I was expecting.  The original was definitely better 

38 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

What explains Elemental's run? Even Pixar fans I know who'd seen it said it was really mid, so I can't even understand the WOM angle (unless they were just plain wrong).

At least from what I can gather, it's a mix of good timing - not a lot of kids movies out and in terms of animated fare Spider-Verse is too violent for some of the really younger ones - and also it seems to just be genuinely resonating with people. When I saw it opening weekend, theater was only about 60% full but the kids in the theater were LOVING it, big reactions across the board, lots of buzzing from them which makes me think parents caught wind and probably were spreading the word about it being good for kids. Also there was a grown man sobbing in the last 10 minutes of the film next to me so clearly it's working on adults too to an extent.

The more obvious one though is overseas where it's theme of immigration and race really seem to be hitting a strong chord, particularly in South Korea. The director is a first generation Korean immigrant himself and Elemental's story is not just hitting a chord over there, it's absolutely INSANE in terms of audience scores (9.9/10 on their version of CinemaScore which I think maybe the highest a Pixar movie has received there in a very long time).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

At least from what I can gather, it's a mix of good timing - not a lot of kids movies out and in terms of animated fare Spider-Verse is too violent for some of the really younger ones - and also it seems to just be genuinely resonating with people. When I saw it opening weekend, theater was only about 60% full but the kids in the theater were LOVING it, big reactions across the board, lots of buzzing from them which makes me think parents caught wind and probably were spreading the word about it being good for kids. Also there was a grown man sobbing in the last 10 minutes of the film next to me so clearly it's working on adults too to an extent.

The more obvious one though is overseas where it's theme of immigration and race really seem to be hitting a strong chord, particularly in South Korea. The director is a first generation Korean immigrant himself and Elemental's story is not just hitting a chord over there, it's absolutely INSANE in terms of audience scores (9.9/10 on their version of CinemaScore which I think maybe the highest a Pixar movie has received there in a very long time).

I heard that it's also resonating really well with small business owners who understand the struggles that Ember's family have had to go through to keep their shop open, and this is a pretty universal demographic regardless of what country you are from.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Does the UK not use Fandango? I tried to check my local Barbieheimer sales while on vacation in London and I think it gave my computer the avian flu or something.

It's through the cinemas themselves that we book, though if you do a Google search for showtimes that'll do a direct link to book it usually

1 hour ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

I heard that it's also resonating really well with small business owners who understand the struggles that Ember's family have had to go through to keep their shop open, and this is a pretty universal demographic regardless of what country you are from.

All that and it's a rarity of a theatrical Romance

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

What explains Elemental's run? Even Pixar fans I know who'd seen it said it was really mid, so I can't even understand the WOM angle (unless they were just plain wrong).

Swim teams, summer camps, and birthday parties (and parents pulling their hair out with bored kids) - it's the only show in town this summer for kids 1-10.

Every summer, at least one movie gets the benefit - this year, there is only one...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Swim teams, summer camps, and birthday parties (and parents pulling their hair out with bored kids) - it's the only show in town this summer for kids 1-10.

Every summer, at least one movie gets the benefit - this year, there is only one...

There was the Kraken movie - it opened in 3,000+ theaters.  Few cared.