Eric Duncan

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What records are on the table this weekend?

- Biggest opening weekend for a WB movie ($169M)

- Biggest opening for a female director ($153M) and sole female director ($103M)

- Biggest opening for a #2 opener with the #1 movie also being an opener ($66M from World War Z)

- Biggest July opener maybe ($191M)

- Biggest post-pandemic weekend ($282M)

• Like 4
  • Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

TBF Oppenheimer is not a film you can promote to the general audience as fun. 

Barbieheimer somehow made it fun. I guess Universal's just like: Thanks for doing my homework.

• Like 1

I'm hoping for a combined total of $228.4M+ for Barbenheimer, as this would be the greatest sum for two big films (both $50M+) on a weekend (see spoiler box for the stats).

BOP's predictions for the weekend are 158.5M (Barbie) and 64.7M (Oppenheimer) for a total of 223.2M. 👀 (So close... please over-perform Barbenheimer. *fingers crossed*)

Peace,

Mike

Weekends with 2 films 50M+

Spoiler

80M+

June 22-24, 2018

• Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom — 148.0M
  • Incredibles 2 — 80.3M

June 19-21, 2015

• Jurassic World — 106.6M
  • Inside Out — 90.4M

60M+

June 21-23, 2013 (both openers)

• Monsters University — 82.4M
  • World War Z — 66.4M

Nov 29-December 1, 2013

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire — 74.2M
  • Frozen — 67.4M

May 28-30, 2004

• Shrek 2 — 72.2M
  • The Day After Tomorrow — 68.7M

December 25-27, 2009

• Sherlock Holmes — 62.3M

50M+

June 10-12, 2022

• Jurassic World: Dominion — 145.1M
  • Top Gun: Maverick — 51.9M

May 25-27, 2007

• Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End — 114.7M
  • Shrek the Third — 53.0M

May 10-12, 2013

• Iron Man 3 — 72.5M
  • The Great Gatsby — 50.1M

May 10-12, 2019

• Avengers: Endgame — 63.3M
  • Pokémon Detective Pikachu — 54.4M

June 9-11, 2023

• Transformers: Rise of the Beasts — 61M
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse — 55.5M

June 27-29, 2008 (both openers)

• Wall-E — 63.1
  • Wanted — 50.9M

June 8-10, 2012 (both openers)

• Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — 60.3M
  • Prometheus — 51.1M

June 17-19, 2022

• Jurassic World: Dominion — 59.2M
  • Lightyear — 50.6M

June 26-28, 2015

• Jurassic World — 54.5M
  • Inside Out — 52.3M

December 29-31, 2017

• Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 52.5M
  • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle — 50.1M

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Reveal hidden contents

the power Pixar once held, oh mah gah 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Cap said:

I mean, if we want to kill some time/add some pages with a spicy take,

Nolan should be on his knees kissing Greta’s feet for the press he’s getting out of this. 

WB trying to be petty is about to get Nolan is highest opening weekend in a decade. 

Likewise, pitting these two films has helped the dialogue that Greta Gerwig is establishing herself as the type of director that should be getting Christopher Nolan level autonomy.

It's honestly worked out great for everyone. Especially since it's avoided any toxicity. Everyone seems happy to celebrate both films.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, deniima said:

- Biggest opening weekend for a WB movie ($169M)

- Biggest opening for a female director ($153M) and sole female director ($103M)

- Biggest opening for a #2 opener with the #1 movie also being an opener ($66M from World War Z)

- Biggest July opener maybe ($191M)

- Biggest post-pandemic weekend ($282M)

Also, potentially though unlikely....

- Biggest opening for a film not to win the weekend ($90.4M)

• Like 2

This is obviously going to happen again in the future.

FIFTY MORE SHADES and IRON MAN RETURNS opening same weekend in 2027

• Like 1

To all you Barbie and Papa Nolan fans, the Top 100 Warner Bros. Movies countdown is happening and going on strong, with us now at #86 on the countdown. Feel free to look it over, see what some of BOT's faves are, and throw a few likes my way

• Like 4

Barbie is one of the most astonishing breakouts in recent times, imo. A fantastic, but box office poison central duo, underwhelming/vague trailers with flat comedy (at least to me), an acclaimed indie director at the helm who has yet to direct a BO hit, and a horribly broke and mismanaged studio behind it. Yes, the IP has tremendous potential, but the idea that we are looking at a potential all time OW for WB is frankly shocking, even with great reviews.

Edited by Dragoncaine

1 minute ago, Dragoncaine said:

box office poison central duo, 

they're both very likable and famous performers who were bound to blow up in the right roles. Joaquin Phoenix is box office poison but I think there are maybe 2 or 3 actors alive max who would have brought more drawing power to JOKER. 

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

they're both very likable and famous performers who were bound to blow up in the right roles. Joaquin Phoenix is box office poison but I think there are maybe 2 or 3 actors alive max who would have brought more drawing power to JOKER. 

They both have already blown up. They're both stars. Everyone knows box office drawing power is not what makes you a star anymore, largely because not many stars can draw on their name alone. 

And box office poison? That implies people actively avoid their movies, which I don't think is the case for a majority of actors. 

9 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Barbie is one of the most astonishing breakouts in recent times, imo. A fantastic, but box office poison central duo, underwhelming/vague trailers with flat comedy (at least to me), an acclaimed indie director at the helm who has yet to direct a BO hit, and a horribly broke and mismanaged studio behind it. Yes, the IP has tremendous potential, but the idea that we are looking at a potential all time OW for WB is frankly shocking, even with great reviews.

huh ? Weren't both Lady Bird & Little Women Boxoffice hits ?? Lady Bird's budget was $10M and it collected $80M. Little Women's budget was $40M and it collected $220M

• Like 4