Eric the Ape

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Yeah, retire the term 'box office poison'. Robbie led I, Tonya to big numbers based on her performance alone and has starred in smashes like WoWS, Suicide Squad and Tarzan. Granted those films had other things going for them but true BO poison should repulse audiences regardless.

Gosling has had The Notebook, Crazy, Stupid, Love and a respectable opening for Blade Runner. His less commercially appealing ventures open consistently around 11M, much more than most other actors can open films to.

Even if box office poison is hyperbolic, nobody ever expected this film to open to even half of what it's going to do as a result of the leads, which is part of why this soon-to-be runaway hit is so surprising 

Honestly I’m not even planning on seeing Barbie (seeing Oppenheimer tomorrow night though) but this is still the most pumped I’ve felt going into a box office weekend since Endgame. This weekend just feels like it’s going to be really special, like a super blockbuster weekend similar to Jurassic World + Incredibles 2 in June 2018, but bigger.

I know since the pandemic we’ve had No Way Home beating Infinity War’s OW, TGM’s historic run, Avatar 2, and Mario, but if this weekend crosses $300M, this could be seen as the moment cinema is officially back.

Edited by superduperm
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Gosling has had The Notebook, Crazy, Stupid, Love and a respectable opening for Blade Runner. His less commercially appealing ventures open consistently around 11M, much more than most other actors can open films to.

La La Land too

24 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

just my opinion of course, but I have always found latam dubbing to be quite competent, there's even been a few cases where I've preferred it to the original

My opinion is that Latam dubbing was really solid through the 90s until the early 2010s, and there are some dubs of that era I like as much or even more than the English version (Shrek being the best example).

It started to get weak during the 2010s with some exceptions. Across The Spiderverse dub was atrocious. Sony hired youtubers and tik tokers to dub the spider people and Rio's accent was utterly exaggerated when she had a subtle accent in Into The Spiderverse 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Even if box office poison is hyperbolic, nobody ever expected this film to open to even half of what it's going to do as a result of the leads, which is part of why this soon-to-be runaway hit is so surprising 

This. Even $40M would have been good and probably what WB thought would be the best case scenario. Even their lowball $75m prediction would be an amazing open. 

Edited by CloneWars

I am hearing a lot of older relatives I never hear talk about movies buzzing about Oppenheimer this week. Is it possible it’s turning into just as big of an event for them as Barbie for younger gens? I swear, if Barbie goes 200+and Opp goes 100+, this is better than TFA and EGs openings in terms of excitement

48 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Honestly I’m not even planning on seeing Barbie (seeing Oppenheimer tomorrow night though) but this is still the most pumped I’ve felt going into a box office weekend since Endgame. This weekend just feels like it’s going to be really special, like a super blockbuster weekend similar to Jurassic World + Incredibles 2 in June 2018, but bigger.

I know since the pandemic we’ve had No Way Home beating Infinity War’s OW, TGM’s historic run, Avatar 2, and Mario, but if this weekend crosses $300M, this could be seen as the moment cinema is officially back.

I would agree if not for the fact that this seems like the last time we will have anything like this at the box office for a very very long time given the upcoming slate and the strike…

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Imagine going back to 2011 and telling people a Barbie movie would be what would break WB’s OW record after DH2. I was around for DH2 here, the reaction that statement would have gotten would have been insane lol (including me). 

Be funny if it comes up just short the Potter record survives.

• Disbelief 1

52 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Honestly I’m not even planning on seeing Barbie (seeing Oppenheimer tomorrow night though)

It’s okay, I am not planning on seeing Oppenheimer 🤭

Just found out some sad news. A pretty awesome theater in Richmond (Houston suburb) is shutting down on July 26th. This place has 6 legit PLF screens (80 feet wide each), bowling alley, full bar, etc. Most places only have 2-3 PLF screens at best and this place has 6 of them! It was owned by Santikos. Regal took control of it at some point, and now Regal is shutting down this location. What a waste of a great facility.

Regal has been shutting down a lot of theaters because of their bankruptcy problems. Another surprising one they are shutting down is in Midland, Texas. I lived in an apartment right by that theater for 13 years. Hard to believe it's shutting down. It's in a great location near a lot of restaurants, shopping, and so forth. 

Meanwhile I have a brand new Regal theater near me in Spring, Texas which opened in 2021. Their timing was horrible, right in the middle of the Pandemic. The place doesn't seem to be very crowded when I go there. It's a pretty nice place. Several very good size screens, huge facility, full bar, nice bathrooms, etc. But given they spent a shitload of money building this place and then had to open it in the middle of the Pandemic, I won't be shocked if they give up and shut down this location too. 

https://www.silive.com/business/2023/07/regal-to-close-14-theaters-starting-this-week-heres-a-full-list-of-locations.html

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Dragoncaine said:

Let’s see what it actually opens to, but I have had 120+ opening chances for Barbie on my radar for months. At this point maybe I’ll even have been off in terms of “not even half” lol. 

3 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Except for Tom Cruise, the Rock, DiCaprio etc. no one can draw audiences to the theater by name alone. The flops of BR2049, Babylon, Amsterdam etc. are not the fault of Gosling or Robbie respectively. You can just as easily say Christian Bale is box office poison because Amsterdam flopped or Brad Pitt is box office poison because Babylon flopped. Original movies are just a tough sell nowadays.

Lady Gaga can. And I'm being totally serious, lol

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Lady Gaga can. And I'm being totally serious, lol

That’s a bold statement. It would definitely have to hinge around the right role. As was brought up a bit ago here, I think Gaga as Ursula in TLM would have been a legitimate draw. 

• Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

That’s a bold statement. It would definitely have to hinge around the right role. As was brought up a bit ago here, I think Gaga as Ursula in TLM would have been a legitimate draw. 

Would have also been a really inspired casting choice too. She would have killed it.

• Like 2

I saw Barbie earlier; enjoyed it but I can see some not caring for it, very curious about its legs. If I had seen this without knowing about the sheer insane hype of it I would've never guessed it would open to $150m+. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Totally agree. 

People tend to forget about her when talking about this stuff, but she'll prove her worth (again) with Joker 2. And with her other roles after that. 

-

Seeing Barbie tomorrow with 4 of my friends, pink outfits and all. And Oppenheimer on Saturday. What a weekend, baby.