Eric S'ennui

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Maybe Tarantino counts as well? Apart from The Hateful Eight, which had a moderate run, his movies are wholly original hits.

Nolan, Tarantino, Peele - are there more directors that can sell movies by their name alone? Scorsese used to be one, but his movies are connected to streaming now and Spielberg is hit or miss in the last 10 years.

Tarantino counts but his stuff is generally hard R so it's harder to appeal to as wide of an audience. Nolan effectively makes movies for a huge audience. I'm actually shocked Oppenheimer is R.

Dune 2 should be moved, it will only have PLFs for one week. I know these studios are really fucking stupid but giving a movie that demand to be seen on the big screen (MI7, Dune 2, etc.) one week of IMAX is borderline insane.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

...nah.

Nolan directing Bond would be a huge box office hit but the issue is that we just had a Bond run that just ended where the entire style and aesthetics and "feel" as such were all Nolan-like. Would make sense for the franchise to pivot away from that to differentiate the new Bond.

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Nolan directing Bond would be a huge box office hit but the issue is that we just had a Bond run that just ended where the entire style and aesthetics and "feel" as such were all Nolan-like. Would make sense for the franchise to pivot away from that to differentiate the new Bond.

Unironically the best thing for Bond would be to maybe go back to the Connery/Moore era style. Make a little campier, a little sillier.

43 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Nolan, Tarantino, Peele - are there more directors that can sell movies by their name alone? Scorsese used to be one, but his movies are connected to streaming now and Spielberg is hit or miss in the last 10 years.

Cameron could possibly be able to do it better than Nolan 

guess we'll see what happens if he ever makes that Hiroshima film 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Being very honest, i don’t think they’re considering to delay Dune because of the strike 

I bet they saw what’s happening with MI7 that clearly have a lot of potential but is being crushed by too much competition around it + lost of premium screens and they realize the same can happen with Dune 

It will be on premium screens for a week only, and while there’s worries about them, The Marvels and Hunger Games are still franchises with a much stronger presence on theaters than Dune. 

But obviously blame the strike is way easier than admit they’re a bit scared of competition. 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Seeing how the first person the Broccolis approached for it was Sam Mendes I don't think they have any intention of doing that lol

10 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Unironically the best thing for Bond would be to maybe go back to the Connery/Moore era style. Make a little campier, a little sillier.

I think Bond in the MCU style of action mixed with humour would work really well and I get the sense the Broccolis want to go back to that. Even borrowing from the Mission Impossible films which have gotten more humorous compared to the earlier films. 

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Being very honest, i don’t think they’re considering to delay Dune because of the strike 

I bet they saw what’s happening with MI7 that clearly have a lot of potential but is being crushed by too much competition around it + lost of premium screens and they realize the same can happen with Dune 

It will be on premium screens for a week only, and while there’s worries about them, The Marvels and Hunger Games are still franchises with a much stronger presence on theaters than Dune. 

But obviously blame the strike is way easier than admit they’re a bit scared of competition. 

I think between the two Timmy films WB is releasing, they seem more high on Wonka. I would guess that Dune Part 2 will move to March 29th 2024, Godzilla x Kong to May 31st 2024, Furiosa to July 2024 and Mickey 17 to August 2024. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Cameron could possibly be able to do it better than Nolan 

guess we'll see what happens if he ever makes that Hiroshima film 

Cameron is not half the director that Nolan is.

His Hiroshima film would end up being incredibly preachy and shoves it message donw you throat. Nolan is a lot more subtle and sohiticated. He can make his points without shouting.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I doubt we'll see the end of superhero films or blockbusters in general. The big expensive tentpole can still make bank, 

Yes, but maybe they will not push everything else out the way they have been doing.

I have nothing against fim franchises, but do not like the way they are now almost monopolizing the market.