Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

51 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Early PostTrak shows 4 1/2 stars for Barbie and a 79% definite recommend. 82% were general audiences, with 11% kids under 12 and parents repping 7%. A massive 71% female. 

We did it, girls. This is our Victory. Don’t let those Kens take the credit. 😘

• Heart 3

I think Donna Langley of Universal and the heads of WB will be sending each other gifts on Monday. The two studios have Twisters coming out next year so I imagine they won't be scheduling films against each other then.

5 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Oppenheimer opening that high is really insane. The film is fantastic so I'm happy but still wow. 

Its an interesting question: How would Oppenheimer have performed if it was opening lets say in August, not beeing connected to Barbie per the release date at all? Would it have opened (much ) lower or not? Nobody can answer it, we can all just speculate.

My personal take is that Oppenheimer profits from the Barbenheimer hype more than Barbie. I think Barbie would have been HUGE at any release date, but Oppenheimer managed to hop on the hype train in this really unique way. For clarification, i also think Barbie profits from the meme and its now probably opening higher than it would have without this extra hype and i also think Oppenheimer would have been a success without it.

But both movies propelled each other higher and higher thanks to Barbenheimer - again i just believe that it helped Oppenheimer even more than it helped Barbie. In the end, it doesnt really matter though.

Since everyone is winning here. Barbie, Oppenheimer, Gerwig, Nolan, WB, Universal, theaters, audiences, humanity.

A big fat W for everyone.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Enjoy possibly the only 3 good box office performances of the year (Mario included), because everything else could probably flop, because people now see maybe 1 or 3 movies a year on theaters. So few could massively overperform while lots on theaters could flop.  Barbie and Oppenheimer had buzz since they were annouced prepare for dissapoimtment for your faves. 

Fuckin hell, man. Did you finish telling cancer-stricken kids Santa isn't real while dressed as a clown and kicking puppies so thought you'd post here in your free time, before you set fire to some orphanages?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Older dudes didn't exactly show up for Oppenheimer either, so no surprise MI7 is flopping. I'm really surprised about the older dudes not being that into Oppie. I guess that audience is lost and cinema is a young people's venue

Nolan is probably the biggest brand among current directors with the <40 crowd...if this movie was directed by anyone else, I really don't think we would be seeing anywhere close these numbers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Its an interesting question: How would Oppenheimer have performed if it was opening lets say in August, not beeing connected to Barbie per the release date at all? Would it have opened (much ) lower or not? Nobody can answer it, we can all just speculate.

My personal take is that Oppenheimer profits from the Barbenheimer hype more than Barbie. I think Barbie would have been HUGE at any release date, but Oppenheimer managed to hop on the hype train in this really unique way. For clarification, i also think Barbie profits from the meme and its now probably opening higher than it would have without this extra hype and i also think Oppenheimer would have been a success without it.

But both movies propelled each other higher and higher thanks to Barbenheimer - again i just believe that it helped Oppenheimer even more than it helped Barbie. In the end, it doesnt really matter though.

Since everyone is winning here. Barbie, Oppenheimer, Gerwig, Nolan, WB, Universal, theaters, audiences, humanity.

A big fat W for everyone.

If Oppenheimer opened in August, I'd say it would have opened in the $40-60M range...Nolan at this point of time has an established fanbase who will show up irrespective of what kind of movie he is doing, whatever cast he is working with

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

Nolan is probably the biggest brand among current directors with the <40 crowd...if this movie was directed by anyone else, I really don't think we would be seeing anywhere close these numbers.

Oh, 100%. The memes definitely helped, but Nolan (in PLF) is a brand in its own with a very high floor and dedicated fanbase.

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Kids love Barbie in general. Especially little or preteen girls who grew up with the brand. Any chance the movie could have insane legs and gross around $500-600M+ DOM total or more?

I mean ...

margot-for-vogue-australia-ig-july-2023-

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

If Oppenheimer opened in August, I'd say it would have opened in the $40-60M range...Nolan at this point of time has an established fanbase who will show up irrespective of what kind of movie he is doing, whatever cast he is working with

If he could get a no star WW2 movie (and a very Brit-centric bit of WW2 at that) to $180m in the US, I've no doubt Oppy would have been able do similar.

3 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I'm not sure Nolan would have agreed to August, I think Universal probably would have preferred later in the year but they wanted him and the film so agreed to his terms. 

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

OPPENHEIMER

$10.5M

Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

Also this talk of Oppy doing well only due to Barbenheimer is silly as if you look at Presales before Barbie PS even started, Oppenheimer already looked a breakout. Chris Nolan is the biggest director around(I dont count Cameron as he made just 2 movies in 25 years). Plus the ensemble on a very relevant topic(Nuclear threat is very real today and some of the issues with Generative AI/LLM looks like another Oppeneheimer moment) means there is demand for something besides atypical CGI blockbusters. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

14 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

If Barbie gets over $200M+ OW, it would be something special. It’s a 4-quadrant movie, right?

There’s never been any movie opening over $200M+, that has been considered truly disappointing or bad in any sense.

Age of Ultron was close XD