The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

I do wonder what the ceiling for Dune 2 will be since at least from what I gather, in latin america the first film didn't really impress that many people and I can't imagine it'll do particularly well in Asia. Something like 200 domestic and 400 international sounds reasonable to me. 

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

well tickets went on sale in the first week of june....

I could not book the ticket due to my uncertain plans. I wish I still did. its after all just $30. Still will see it before its pulled out. It would be among the busiest runs overall for any movie if its pulled out after 4 weeks and most shows are sold out 🙂

Barbie will do way more than 150m imo, the same Fri/weekend ratio as Transformers gets it to 167m, NHF gets it to 164m, Top Gun 2 gets it to 171m (although adjust downwards because Memorial Day) and Barbie will have a ton of spillover unlike any of those titles

Or are people thinking it will behave like Love and Thunder, cuz that would get it to only 146m.

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Nah. Dune 2 will see a huge increase without Day and Date release on HBO Max. Plus it has an exciting star cast in itself and will be a spectacle. Flower Moon will not open big but will play through the awards season for sure. 

I would argue like Forbes Scott Mendelson Day and Date does not affect as you people think look at GvK at the heigh of the pandemic with restrictions, the movies that flopped were not well received, Black Widow was not that greatly received, Dune a lot of general audiences like the movie but they think is boring. 

Even on r flicks is reddit but reddit is a Love Dune echo chamber: 

And even if he saying unpopukar read the commets. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best

God Nolan should keep doing his original projects. That said, he needs to be somewhat restrained and not go "full Nolan" as he did with Tenet. Movie was unmarketable and so confusing that even his loyal critics took issue with it. Will be interested to see where goes next.

After this, a Nolan serious take on Pearl Harbor would be insanely successful.  

Edited by excel1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Day and Date The Best said:

I would argue like Forbes Scott Mendelson Day and Date does not affect as you people think look at GvK at the heigh of the pandemic with restrictions, the movies that flopped were not well received, Black Widow was not that greatly received, Dune a lot of general audiences like the movie but they think is boring. 

WW84 would have opened to $140m+ in normal times. Look what it did with Day and Date. Godzilla vs. Kong also would have gone quite a bit higher than it did without day and date. Matrix 4 same deal. It was insanely bad. 

2 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

I will contend with the argument that: GvK would've also done better if not for day and date. Also GvK is so mega-specific because of how much better those two characters suit watching them in a gigantic screen in a way other movies and characters don't.  I didn't go watch GvK but if I had I'd have done so in the theater because scale is a big part of the experience, meanwhile Black Widow I could care less and would've watched online. 

Edited by 21C

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

God Nolan should keep doing his original projects. That said, he needs to be somewhat restrained and not go "full Nolan" as he did with Tenet. Movie was unmarketable. Will be interested to see where goes next.

After this, a Nolan serious take on Pearl Harbor would be insanely successful.  

Perhaps starring Josh Harnett?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Geez, the level of charisma from both of them, even despite all the distracting, cheesy early special effects and makeup… no wonder the 90s were all about the movie star draw. 

No to The Mask revival imo. Not a good fit for Jim, don’t think someone else is a good idea. 

I do realize that the casting will be a major issue with the ''MASK'' hard to find someone with that Jim Carey energy.. They should seriously try to find the best casting option for the mask someone with high energy. 

I will defintely eat up another MASK reboot movie

Edited by Geo1500

I know people think pandemic hurt Dune 1, but I actually think it helped it a bit. As one of the first spectacle movies released once the pandemic was finally subsiding a bit, I think there was more interest than there otherwise would have been. And I think more people watched it on streaming than would have now. Dune is really a very niche type of sci-fi. I know plenty of people who saw it and were “bored” and didn’t get it. 

• Like 1

Hopefully this weekend will be enough to prevent studios from punting too many titles to next year depending on how long the strike lasts, since a lot of eyeballs are seeing plenty trailers for movies currently set for the next few months between these two movies being prime preview real estate.

10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

WW84 would have opened to $140m+ in normal times. Look what it did with Day and Date. Godzilla vs. Kong also would have gone quite a bit higher than it did without day and date. Matrix 4 same deal. It was insanely bad. 

It's still crazy how studios let films that would've been some of the biggest of all time like WW84 become culturally relegated to something nobody watched and was immediately forgotten

17 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

When did you book that ticket? I could not get anything for next weekend when I looked couple of days ago 🙂

Booked them 4 hours after tix opened up. I wasn't even able to get any center seats from middle row and up by then.

• Like 1

Very cool observation I have looking at my favorite arthouse theater in my city of Chicago, the Music Box Theatre. They have a 750-seat auditorium and are showing Oppenheimer on 70mm as our main theater with celluloid (although not the only one with it on 70mm in the city.)

Anyway, they've sold out four showtimes so far these past two days, with four more already sold-out for the rest of the weekend. Again, in a 750-seat-auditorium.

That's a long line for popcorn.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I know people think pandemic hurt Dune 1, but I actually think it helped it a bit. As one of the first spectacle movies released once the pandemic was finally subsiding a bit, I think there was more interest than there otherwise would have been. And I think more people watched it on streaming than would have now. Dune is really a very niche type of sci-fi. I know plenty of people who saw it and were “bored” and didn’t get it. 

yeah Dune 2 will increase but won’t be a crazy type of one 

Looking back at the war of warcraft movie? This movie shouldn't have flopped and I believe to this day it could have been a massive success story because they opted to make a movie based on lesser popular characters within the game.  the whole Human angle POV was meh..

As someone who is familiar with the game war of warcraft it would have easily done big Billion if they had instead focussed on Hellscream and his warlords of draenor.

Just look at this masterpiece - Allow the audience to explore the movie universe thru Hellscream and his savage Warlords ravaging everything on their path and onto there way to what they claim to be world conquest🤣 Let the carnage take hold

You can even cast the Rock, Ryan Reynolds, Van Diesel and Hugh Jackmann as the ORC Warlords and just continue that carnage

Edited by Geo1500