Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

20 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Captain Marvel's audience was like 60% male though? It didn't really have greater than normal appeal for women so this argument doesn't make sense.

From the MPAA for the first two weeks tracked for female lead films

Captain Marvel - 44 (F)/ 57 (M)  (yeah I know it adds up to 101)

(Endgame: 42/56 - more women saw AEG than CM - and yeah this one adds up to 98... )

Frozen 2 : 60 /40

Wonder Woman:  52 / 48

Beauty & The Beast: 64 / 36
Hunger Games: 57 /43

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

It was 57% male, which is around the same as most MCU fare albeit skewing a little lower then usual (the lowest being the first GOTG, which was 55% male).

Didn't Wakanda Forever have 52-48 male-female split?

Edited by toutvabien

14 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Captain Marvel's audience was like 60% male though? It didn't really have greater than normal appeal for women so this argument doesn't make sense.

This. Despite all the "let's get poor, disadvantaged girls out to see the movie so they may be inspired" bullshit, it was just another MCU movie. It hit big cause we were in that MCU era where everything was a sure-fire hit and she was literally the dangling carrot at the end of IW. Now, the question is will there be a drop in interest from some of the casual MCU fans and, if so, will the sequel be held up by women instead? Personally I don't see it, but I don't think its domestic drop is going to be as terrible as some think. I still have it hitting 300 DOM. OS is where I think the POTENTIAL for a drop will be far bigger, even when accounting for circumstances in China and Russia. Still think it does 350 or so OS comfortably, though. I have Fast X as the worldwide target for it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

It was 57% male, which is around the same as most MCU fare albeit skewing a little lower then usual (the lowest being the first GOTG, which was 55% male).

GOTG was 59 /51

I think the the most even skew was The Avengers. Can't find the chart but close to 50/50

2 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Oh shit, forgot about that. Yep, it did! Considering The Marvels is more women heavy then the first film (three female leads, female director, marketing is emphasizing the more playful tone) I think we will see a split more similar to Wakanda Forever then the first film tbh

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

GOTG was 59 /51

I think the the most even skew was The Avengers. Can't find the chart but close to 50/50

Could have sworn the first Avengers was 60/40.

Greta Gerwig pulled it off.

Barbie is everything you could want it to be. Heart warming, self referential, laugh out loud funny, thematically powerful and above all else, wildly entertaining. 

The ease with which the film goes from goofy slapstick to tender sincerity is masterful. 

I had a beaming smile on my face the whole time, I think my cheeks are hurting a little from it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

This. Despite all the "let's get poor, disadvantaged girls out to see the movie so they may be inspired" bullshit, it was just another MCU movie. It hit big cause we were in that MCU era where everything was a sure-fire hit and she was literally the dangling carrot at the end of IW. Now, the question is will there be a drop in interest from some of the casual MCU fans and, if so, will the sequel be held up by women instead? Personally I don't see it, but I don't think its domestic drop is going to be as terrible as some think. I still have it hitting 300 DOM. OS is where I think the POTENTIAL for a drop will be far bigger, even when accounting for circumstances in China and Russia. Still think it does 350 or so OS comfortably, though. I have Fast X as the worldwide target for it.

I consider myself a casual fans. I basically lost like 80% interest of Marvel after Endgame. Didn't watch Captain Marvel and Shangchi. GotG3 is different because I would watch anything with Groot and Rocket. Will eventually watch Quantumania on streaming. I still watched some of the TV movies like FatWS, Loki, Hawkeye & WandaVision because they were still about pre-Endgame people. The only Phase 5 projects I am interested in is Loki 2 and Agatha.

• Like 1

Remember barbie is not opening on plf and premium screens which will knock a few million.

Like it is more releasing like a major comedy around me then a mega blockbuster in screens.

Just tons of small screenings and 1 2 big screenings

4 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Remember barbie is not opening on plf and premium screens which will knock a few million.

Like it is more releasing like a major comedy around me then a mega blockbuster in screens.

Just tons of small screenings and 1 2 big screenings

Barbie DOES have PLF screens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toutvabien said:

Aquaman had the same F/M ratio that Wonder Woman did. No idea where the whole “Captain Marvel” is female skewing came from because it isn’t true. 

OW

primarily male

• Iron Man (65%)
  • Captain America: The First Avenger (64%)
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier (64%)
  • Thor (63%)
  • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (62%)
  • Thor: The Dark World (62%)
  • Doctor Strange (61%)
  • Iron Man 3 (61%)
  • The Avengers (60%)
  • The Incredible Hulk (60%)
  • Iron Man 2 (60%)
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming (60%)
  • Captain America: Civil War (59%)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (59%)
  • Ant-Man (58%)
  • Avengers: Infinity War (58%)
  • Justice League (58%)
  • Avengers: Endgame (57%)
  • Shazam! (57%)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (56%)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (56%)
  • Man of Steel (56%)
  • Thor: Ragnarok (56%)
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp (55%)
  • Black Panther (55%)
  • Captain Marvel (55%)
  • Suicide Squad (54%)

primarily female

• Wonder Woman (56%)
  • Aquaman (52%)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LegionWrex said:

Yeah. People tend to believe a female lead will necessarily attract a lot more women. However, the movie would still need to be attractive for women if it wants to attract a lot of women.

I mean, Aquaman has a male lead, but it attracted more women than Captain Marvel.

Edited by Kon