Eric Burnett

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

5 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

If Barbie’s frontloaded then that’s not the impression I got while I was working at the concession stand tonight

At the end, it doesn't matter if Barbie is extremely frontloaded. It will likely breakeven at the end of the weekend.

Not to mention that Mattel should be pretty happy with the sales.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Elegiental said:

Look I am simply asking people how big they believe the 8th weekend will be. Asking a week from now is no good because it will have become too obvious and boring.

$4.37M

david boreanaz jason GIF by CBS

• Heart 1

I don't think the biggest lesson learned from this weekend will be that studios can release two wildly different high profile films on the same weekend and still do gangbusters business for both. Rather, the lesson will be theater chains scrambling to convert more of their screens to PLFs. I wouldn't be surprised if some execs at AMC start looking at plans for a new 12 screen complex they are building and try to determine how much extra it will cost to make it a 6 screen IMAX and 6 screen Dolby complex.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

At the end, it doesn't matter if Barbie is extremely frontloaded. It will likely breakeven at the end of the weekend.

Not to mention that Mattel should be pretty happy with the sales.

????

it needs more than 230 million to break even, not this weekend, next weekend 

Edited by hasanahmad

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I don't think the biggest lesson learned from this weekend will be that studios can release two wildly different high profile films on the same weekend and still do gangbusters business for both. Rather, the lesson will be theater chains scrambling to convert more of their screens to PLFs. I wouldn't be surprised if some execs at AMC start looking at plans for a new 12 screen complex they are building and try to determine how much extra it will cost to make it a 6 screen IMAX and 6 screen Dolby complex.

We need way more PLF’s. Convert 2-3 tiny screens at each theater into a giant PLF auditorium with a ton of seats and massive screens. Repeat this across every theater. Instead of 20 small screens & auditoriums, you could have 10 giant screens in huge auditoriums with a ton of seats. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

IMAX doesn’t permit multiple screen locations (at least for now)

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

We need way more PLF’s. Convert 2-3 tiny screens at each theater into a giant PLF auditorium with a ton of seats and massive screens. 

That's a lot easier said than done as you need to increase the vertical height when merging two smaller theaters in order add a larger screen. Knocking down a wall is a relatively minor remodel compared to adding 20-60 feet of height by lifting the ceiling and/or burrowing into the ground. I guess you might get lucky if the theaters are aligned vertically on two adjacent floors but most theaters are constructed horizontally with very few of them existing on multiple floors.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

48m seems to be the max daily cap for Barbie with its current screenings. It will have a lot of spillover.

There is no daily limit, just that summer Fridays are as good as Saturday for big openers. Dropping on SAT was expected before release itself.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Looks like TLM will need a serious push to reach $300 million DOM after all. Losing 1000 theaters this weekend and immense competition from Barbie absolutely crippled its remaining legs.

That makes me sad, frankly. I'm one of the people who enjoyed this particular remake more so than any of the other Disney remakes. Halle Bailey was inspired casting. She deserved better. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Can't wait to pay $28-30 for every movie...

• Sad 1