The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

19 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

if you take away the wednesday previews seems similar to Thor 4. 

… Not really? Much better Fri/Thu ratio for Barbie, and also Thor released on post-July 4th Friday, typically the busiest (most inflated) of the summer 

The reality is that female skewing films (and the sample size is much smaller) tend to behave a little differently, generally a flatter weekend pattern, plus Barbie is facing capacity limitations to boot. Now that also means we could a sub-20%/$40M plus Sunday, and strong weekdays to follow. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I don't think Barbie staying flat between Friday and Saturday in this scenario is a symptom of front loading at all, this is a unique scenario where there simply isn't the screen space available for demand to be met like a traditional 150m+ opener these days. Sunday will likely see a better hold than would usually be had simply because of the spillover demand, same for Oppenheimer 

If revised Saturday numbers and Sunday projections put this close to 158 we might need to bring back the Peyton Manning angst from 10 years ago to honor the anniversary of the Catching Fire scare

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

If revised Saturday numbers and Sunday projections put this close to 158 we might need to bring back the Peyton Manning angst from 10 years ago to honor the anniversary of the Catching Fire scare

Im Sorry What Season 1 Episode 7 GIF by Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What happened with Cobweb? 

At one point it was wide, then limited. Then no theatre count now no Friday number. Truly dumped. 

Think it was more Lionsgate realized they fudged up with this release date and just went away and hid for the weekend 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Im Sorry What Season 1 Episode 7 GIF by Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist

Short Version: on Catching Fire OW the Nolanites freaked because, iirc, original estimates put its ow ahead of The Dark Knight.

Simultaneously, there was an evening NFL game featuring Peyton Manning that got several members worked up, which meant Sunday had a lot of paranoia meltdowns, ending with revised estimates that put Catching Fire 400k behind The Dark Knight

You kinda had to be there

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Short Version: on Catching Fire OW the Nolanites freaked because, iirc, original estimates put its ow ahead of The Dark Knight.

Simultaneously, there was an evening NFL game featuring Peyton Manning that got several members worked up, which meant Sunday had a lot of paranoia meltdowns, ending with revised estimates that put Catching Fire 400k behind The Dark Knight

theres-a-name-ive-not-heard-in-many-year

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

LOL everyone know THG wasn't beating GOAT TDK

Edited by excel1

49 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It's stupid to compare Maverick to Titanic. Titanic was treated as an event for most of the YEAR after it was released. Maverick was "long run by 2020s standards" which puts it roughly where a succesful, popular 80s film like Ghostbusters would be in terms of legginess. Titanic was an absolute freak of nature.

Titanic had a very low-key opening by mid 1990s blockbuster standards. 

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s an impossible run. Closer to Gone With the Wind than anything from the 00s forward.

Pretty much. Titanic was considered unattainable even by 90s standards (when it was still normal for a very succesful blockbuster to have a run of 4 months). Titanic felt like a year at the time.

Titanic was a run from an era, that was long over even in 1997/98. A sort of last hurrah from box office runs from the old days in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s. The fading twilight of movie blockbusters as year-long events.

There will never be a run like Titanic ever again.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Pretty much. Titanic was considered unattainable even by 90s standards (when it was still normal for a very succesful blockbuster to have a run of 4 months). Titanic felt like a year at the time.

It literally ran from a year at the time. At least in my small ass movie theater at my old town. I was there lol. I think I outgrew the whole ‘superhero fatigue’ talk there because I was a stuck up teenager and people don’t remember this today, but for at least a good decade Titanic was a cool to hate film. Meaning, before the MCU craze, the film snobs crowd from back of the day I used to hang out hated the film because "it was made for teenagers and older women infatuated with Leo DiCaprio". Then I grew up lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s an impossible run. Closer to Gone With the Wind than anything from the 00s forward.

Basically ET through 20-24 weeks (but didn't have that second wave holiday run after that)

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Basically ET through 20-24 weeks (but didn't have that second wave holiday run after that)

The thing is from what I remember, some theaters actually never stopped playing the film, for more than one year. That was completely unheard of, and as a teenager and a rebel that didn’t get laid, you bet that the film pissed me off and I wanted new films and not all of them got screenings in my town. I’m pretty sure that Titanic literally just kept going around here, insane sold out shows every weekend.