Eric is Anxious

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 minute ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

Yes. There's a ton of nostalgic toy commercials out there that I like. The new Little Mermaid was fun, Guardians 3 was cool, Avatar 2 was awesome. Just because I'm cynical over these movies doesn't mean I can't appreciate the ones I like and have fun with.

Do you ever think about how lumping Avatar 2 into "nostalgic toy commercial" is part of the reason people make fun of you for saying that term?

• Like 2

As someone who doesn't watch MI, I know Henry Cavill is Fallout's villain because I see photos and GIFs of him a lot. But for MI7, despite coming across posts about it on social media, I have no idea who the villain is.

14 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

I think the biggest risk was that I didn't think the self-aware satire stuff would stick. We've seen this stuff with Josie and the Pussycats and the new Dora movie, where you take a property for grade-schoolers, then add in a bunch of satire and tongue-in-cheek aspects that will fly over the kids heads. And all the while, it's hard to make older moviegoers who get the jokes feel self-conscious about seeing something for 6 year old girls. Even Lego Movie was still a PG movie with a lot of silly goofiness in all the trailers. Barbie being a PG-13 made things tougher.

So it opening as big as it is when this kind of thing never really panned out...I'm still not sure how they pulled this off tbh, despite me adoring this movie.

To be fair, the promo doesn't really show the strongest aspects in the satire.

The promo really focus in the comedy and visuals, which really attracted people.

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

Do you ever think about how lumping Avatar 2 into "nostalgic toy commercial" is part of the reason people make fun of you for saying that term?

No. Because it is a nostalgic toy commercial. It's a good movie, I like it, but part of the reason for its existence was to sell toys and Lego sets. They were being sold at my local Target and Wal-Mart when the movie was coming out. People may not see it in this way, but I do. And there's nothing people will do or say that will make me change my mind. Sorry. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Why is WB so slow with Barbie OS? I want to confirm the Kenomenon on the way to Barbillion. 

Oh please already the "Barbie is no risk" spin? Than why so many OUT in various bold clubs before it became apparent that the breakout was incoming? Try harder.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

The best thing going for Robbie at this point is changing her agent to someone that can get her non-terrible rolls where she can actually flourish. Because i will die on the hill that the Harley Quinn in Suicide squad was terrible but that was entirely on the writer and costume designer. She looked like a Deedee not a harley

Honestly, I feel people really liked her Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad. Her costume was to sexualized, but people seem to like it.

I feel people seem to have more issue with Harley Quinn costume in BoP.

1 hour ago, Ororo Munroe said:

We all may have underestimated Barbie's box office potential but I don't see how it was particularly risky. A popular, attractive female lead who's visually perfect for the role, a legitimate star as the male lead, a director with two critically acclaimed movies under her belt and the advantage of the Barbie name. I'd say WB always saw it as a pretty safe film with potential to turn a profit. 

Not sure if I’d call particular safe, but I do agree that WB saw the potential, and likely the potential thanks to Gerwig pitching what she’d do with it. I’m not a fan of Amy Schumer, but I’m even less of a fan of Paul Feig. I think he ruined what could be a great Ghostbusters sequel by simply not giving what the fans wanted, which was a sequel to the original films.

I might be insanely naive, but I do think that just like Afterlife has a lot more of goodwill with a kid leading the pack of young Ghostbusters, what people truly wanted was a sequel. Feig didn’t even reboot it, he made a remake, one which felt uninspired, with bad cgi and recycled jokes from the original one. If they had made the literal same team of women Ghostbusters but as a sequel, and that’s why I think him and Sony are the most to blame for that film’s reception, film would automatically get a lot more of good will.

The chuds would still bark, they always will, but the defense force would be stronger. Afterlife was almost inoffensive save to the tasteless use of Harold Ramis likeness, but I’d be lying if I said that I didn’t felt that that film had a heart, and an actual story to tell and that I don’t want to see more of that world. It works more as a metaphor about the relationship of Jason and Ivan Reitman as son and father, and they picked a group of likable kids for the new gen. Besides, I can’t get enough of Paul Rudd when he does what he does best: the cool supporting character role.

With that said, WB has a long history of taking the wrong gambles. I’m glad that they bet on the right one this time around. I think this would be a bomb if Feig was the one directing it and Schumer was the one starring it, regardless how could be positive not have a ‘visually perfect’ Margot Robbie for the role could be if done right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

No. Because it is a nostalgic toy commercial. It's a good movie, I like it, but part of the reason for its existence was to sell toys and Lego sets. They were being sold at my local Target and Wal-Mart when the movie was coming out. People may not see it in this way, but I do. And there's nothing people will do or say that will make me change my mind. Sorry. 🤷‍♂️

Well at least you're not self aware. And that's the important part really.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Why is WB so slow with Barbie OS? I want to confirm the Kenomenon on the way to Barbillion. 

Oh please already the "Barbie is no risk" spin? Than why so many OUT in various bold clubs before it became apparent that the breakout was incoming? Try harder.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

Without getting into spoilers for Fallout, although that movie was released in 2018, not keeping Henry Cavill for future movies was a mistake. He was incredibly good in Fallout, also very sexy

Yeah I did like Esai's unsettling calmness in DR Part 1 but nothing tops Cavill's arrogant  smugness. 

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It was supposed to be Nicholas Hoult and he had to drop out because of The Great, but I'm not sure he would have made a difference.

He probably would have been an upgrade. Especially if he was bringing the wild energy he brings to The Great. This movie needed some of that. 

More details on Oppenheimer: Uni had the lions share of premium screens this weekend with showtimes on more than 80% of all PLFs. All in PLF and Imax drove 47% of the gross.

Imax repped 26% of the gross with 2% from 25 Imax 70MM prints. $70K Imax theater average. Another 85 standard 70mm film screens repped 4% of Oppenheimer ticket sales so far. Exhibitor branded PLF screens such as AMC Dolby Cinema, Cinemark XD and Regal RPX produced another stellar 17% of domestic gross thus far this weekend.

47% is one of the highest, if not ever, I see a movie made in PLF.

Meanwhile over at the highest grossing movie theater in the country, for Barbie — the AMC Burbank:

Has AMC Brurbank resume their operation after the fire alarm incident?