Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's interesting how WB has a knack for making films that look iffy on paper commercially but end up being hugely successful. Gravity comes to mind as well as American Sniper. I'm not going to include things like Joker because while it was a bit risky, it's based on a very well known character.

And yet manage to turn what should be sure-fire hits into huge disasters. WB is the studio equivalent of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. 

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

Have Nolan interview a V-tuber. 

His interviews/ sit-downs with other directors are always fantastic. Have Marty join him on the Oppie tour and discuss what is CINEMA, then return the favour for KOTFM. If the strike is over, have a three-way with Leo, set up another collaboration. RDJ, Leo and Nolan.

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

And yet manage to turn what should be sure-fire hits into huge disasters. WB is the studio equivalent of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. 

TBF I think a lot of studios are like that. Look at Universal, Fast X was a troubled production hence why the budget ballooned. 

22 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Meg 2's OW will be an eye opener, not so much domestic but OS.

Woudnt be surprised to see that one grossing 450M+ WW.

Creature Features are more popular than many assume i think. Especially if they promise pure summer escapism fun like The Meg 2. And the first Meg was a big surprise hit.

Edited by Brainbug

His interviews/ sit-downs with other directors are always fantastic. Have Marty join him on the Oppie tour and discuss what is CINEMA, then return the favour for KOTFM. If the strike is over, have a three-way with Leo, set up another collaboration. RDJ, Leo and Nolan.

It's quite interesting how even actors who are also directors are in awe of him like Kenneth Branagh. I bet if Nolan wanted Greta Gerwig to star in his next film, she'd gladly accept. 

Just now, Brainbug said:

Woudnt be surprised to see that one grossing 450M+ WW.

Creature Features are more popular than many assume i think. Especially if they promise pure summer escapism fun like The Meg 2. And the first Meg was a big surprise hit.

I like The Meg, it's stupid but it's a lot of fun and this looks the same and after Barbenheimer, there is an audience for dumb fun. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's interesting how WB has a knack for making films that look iffy on paper commercially but end up being hugely successful. Gravity comes to mind as well as American Sniper. I'm not going to include things like Joker because while it was a bit risky, it's based on a very well known character.

Would say while Joker wasn't that risky financially almost no one thought it had the commercial potential to hit the heights it eventually did...I mean some of the overseas runs from this film were absolutely insane!

Just now, Jonwo said:

TBF I think a lot of studios are like that. Look at Universal, Fast X was a troubled production hence why the budget ballooned. 

FF started as something small and grew into a giant, but diminishing returns were inevitable there. I don't think there's really anything Universal has done wrong with that series, and it still has potential to rebound (as you said, the budget for X was insane, due to a variety of reasons). They also managed to rebuild Jurassic Park/World after the third one. But what studio has the sort of IP with potential on the same level as DC? Like, even by the laws of averages, they should have had more success. It's simply incredible just how badly they fucked it up.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-1235443828/

Monday AM: Warner Bros/Mattel’s Barbie is coming in $6M higher than expected with $162M after a beautiful Sunday of $43.7M, -9% from Saturday. As we told you, that’s the best opening stateside for a movie from a female filmmaker, that being Oscar nominee Greta Gerwig. Universal’s Oppenheimer is also higher with a $23.16M Sunday, -12% off from Saturday, sending the Christopher Nolan directed pic to $82.4M. Those are remarkable Sunday holds and the head spins thinking of the second weekend hold here. Disney’s Haunted Mansion in industry estimates (not studio) was buzzed to be around $30M. It’s clear that the second feature take of the theme park ride is going to have a hard time notching No. 2, however, it’s a spectacular marketplace.

All of this is a reminder is that it took a consistent supply of movies, which spurs moviegoer demand to get theatrical back on track post Covid. Granted streaming is the headache for many writers and actors, however, if AMPTP and the guilds don’t agree to a contract soon, the 2023 and 2024 theatrical schedule could get significantly damaged. As one exec said to me yesterday about the feared box office forecast, “It’s the car accident, one exit up.” Maybe this means we make less streaming movies and more theatrical. Not only are people showing their interest in the cinema, but the theatrical downstream pie is better for all parties involved, no?

Comscore reported $301.6M for the weekend yesterday, however that figure has to be around $308.6M given the extra $8M for Barbenheimer. That would be it’s still fourth biggest domestic weekend of all-time.

• Like 5

FF started as something small and grew into a giant, but diminishing returns were inevitable there. I don't think there's really anything Universal has done wrong with that series, and it still has potential to rebound (as you said, the budget for X was insane, due to a variety of reasons). They also managed to rebuild Jurassic Park/World after the third one. But what studio has the sort of IP with potential on the same level as DC? Like, even by the laws of averages, they should have had more success. It's simply incredible just how badly they fucked it up.

DC is a bit difficult to pinpoint as it's not one singular character and indeed when it hits, it hits big as we saw with Wonder Woman and Aquaman and how successful Batman is. 

DC's issue is what James Gunn pointed out is that WB gives the licensing of DC characters to the highest bidder and still make money even if 1-2 flops and mean it's inconsistent quality wise which is why DC Studios is going to be different, it's moving away from the model WB has used for so long but still keeps some singular projects like Joker 2 or The Batman Part 2.

2 minutes ago, KC7 said:

if AMPTP and the guilds don’t agree to a contract soon, the 2023 and 2024 theatrical schedule could get significantly damaged. As one exec said to me yesterday about the feared box office forecast, “It’s the car accident, one exit up.

Ya, you know? Maybe pay the fire and ambulance services, so it doesn't turn into something even worse? And accident implies no one's at fault. That's why they're not called accidents (in the UK, at least), and why execs can suck a bag of rotten dicks.

Anyway...

Spillover due to capacity was clearly there and seems to be carrying over into the weekdays. Hopefully they just keep on rolling.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What's expected for Haunted Mansion this weekend? 30M~ OW DOM?

Yes, but might be too low. Preview tracking is suggesting a ~$4M Thursday, and if it IMs like a family movie, could hit $40M

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

Just now, M37 said:

Yes, but might be too low. Preview tracking is suggesting a ~$4M Thursday, and if it IMs like a family movie, could hit $40M

Wonder how many PLFs will stick with Barbie and/or MI over Haunted Mansion.

7 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Comscore reported $301.6M for the weekend yesterday, however that figure has to be around $308.6M given the extra $8M for Barbenheimer. That would be it’s still fourth biggest domestic weekend of all-time.

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

More like $310.5M, with a couple of non-reported estimates. Can Cobweb make enough to push the total up to #3 or even #2 all time?

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

sHp1Ob8.jpg

This is an AMC IMAX with Laser showing for noon today in the Minneapolis area. This is bonkers for noon on a non-holiday Monday. I checked a similar IMAX with Laser showing in Nashville around the same time and it was maybe 60% full. However, a couple of IMAX showings in Charlotte and Phoenix for roughly noon were not nearly as packed but they were not IMAX with Laser. People are definitely seeking out high quality projection for this film.

the oldies are coming out!!!

So it's officially the biggest 2D only opening of all time and biggest opening without IMAX. If only it had got closer to DH2, that record will likely go to a DC movie in the end, either a Batman or Superman sequel.