Eric the Minion

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Years ago when I first moved to Toronto, I saw the terminator, commando and predator all in one showing. Some Art House theater (yes the irony was not lost on me)  in downtown Toronto was having an Arnold Schwarzenegger - fest and me and a buddy gladly spent 6 or 7 hours at the theater that night and of course it was a blast.

Who'd have thought Commando would age best of the 3 classics? Is Commando to males what Barbie is to females? People that say Commando isn't self-aware are fooling themselves... Is there another villain as closeted as Bennett? 

I've seen subversive used a lot this weekend... Man, remember when big budget blockbusters were actually subversive and downright fucking insane...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, DAJK said:

Matched with a girl I thought was cute on a dating site, she asked me what I was doing today. Told her I was going thrifting to find pink clothes for Barbie tomorrow.

She told me that men shouldn’t be wearing pink, and unmatched me.

The hype is REAL.

This has all the ingredients for the perfect copypasta 

@JohnnyGossamer it's funny you mention that about bennett. After seeing commando and weird Science for about the 100th time ends up coming to the conclusion that I'm Vernon Wells character and weird Science and commando will probably the same character LOL

I think the timeline would be that the events in weird Science took place first where he breaks into Gary and Wyatt's home and disrupts the party and he's with his biker gang who's wearing latex and has a lot of sexual innuendo with it. He's making a living but hating his life at the time and then the bad guys from commando contact him and offer him 100 Grand to go kill matrix. He hates his life in weird Science and jumps at the chance to get revenge on Matrix who caused his life to be a living hell after Matrix kicked him out of the military. 😀😀

Seeing as both films are produced by Joel silver, this actually could be canon LOL

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

@JohnnyGossamer it's funny you mention that about bennett. After seeing commando and weird Science for about the 100th time ends up coming to the conclusion that I'm Vernon Wells character and weird Science and commando will probably the same character LOL

I think the timeline would be that the events in weird Science took place first where he breaks into Gary and Wyatt's home and disrupts the party and he's with his biker gang who's wearing latex and has a lot of sexual innuendo with it. He's making a living but hating his life at the time and then the bad guys from commando contact him and offer him 100 Grand to go kill matrix. He hates his life in weird Science and jumps at the chance to get revenge on Matrix who caused his life to be a living hell after Matrix kicked him out of the military. 😀😀

Seeing as both films are produced by Joel silver, this actually could be canon LOL

What was it like when Last Action Hero dropped in 1993? I'm a little too young to remember that time well. I actually love that movie for all it's flaws... It's kinda like the Barbie but it's Arnie in that it's super crazy meta and gets into the real and constructed worlds.... People say it was a big letdown at the time. Was that the general vibe? Did you like it when it came out?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What was it like when Last Action Hero dropped in 1993? I'm a little too young to remember that time well. I actually love that movie for all it's flaws... It's kinda like the Barbie but it's Arnie in that it's super crazy meta and gets into the real and constructed worlds.... People say it was a big letdown at the time. Was that the general vibe? Did you like it when it came out?

I was 6 when it came out but it was among my first movie memories. That definitely was a huge disappointment at the box office, especially in the year of Jurassic Park. But it was so ahead of its time. I love that movie, no lie. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I think it was a movie 3 years ahead of its time. And I say 3 years because Scream came out in 96 and although different it had very similar ideas.

Reaction to it was incredibly mixed of course, I don't think people were ready for that kind of a meta movie.

Personally I remember liking it at the time but not loving it, but it has definitely grown on me over the years. There are so many clever observations in the movie my favorite being when stallone was the Terminator in a cardboard cutout and Arnold Schwarzenegger praised his performance.

I think the time it was considered Arnold's first real failure. But I do think it's aged rather well over the last 4 decades.

• Like 1

In non-Barbenheimer news...

The company said Thursday that it will end the pilot program in the coming weeks and replace it with a new program that aims to upgrade the seats at the front of each auditorium (an area considered to be the worst viewing experience).

"Beginning in late 2023, AMC will begin testing its newest seating concept," the company said. "Large, comfortable lounge style seating areas will allow guests to lay all the way back and relax. The angle of the seats will also make it more enjoyable to watch movies from these front row seats closest to the screen."

AMC hasn't said what they'll be charging for these new seats yet.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think it was a movie 3 years ahead of its time. And I say 3 years because Scream came out in 96 and although different it had very similar ideas.

Reaction to it was incredibly mixed of course, I don't think people were ready for that kind of a meta movie.

Personally I remember liking it at the time but not loving it, but it has definitely grown on me over the years. There are so many clever observations in the movie my favorite being when stallone was the Terminator in a cardboard cutout and Arnold Schwarzenegger praised his performance.

I think the time it was considered Arnold's first real failure. But I do think it's aged rather well over the last 4 decades.

4 decades? Fuck that makes me feel old

• Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

4 decades? Fuck that makes me feel old

I wanted to say... I am old, and fuck, I feel it (I got hurt in training on Monday and can still barely turn my head today - I need weeks to recover nowadays) BUT....it's 3 decades. Let's not make each other feel sadder than necessary,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coneilg93 said:

Great numbers! I wish they get a deal done and continue this momentum for theaters. 

Even if the strikes ended tomorrow, the upcoming releases for the next couple of months are still hardly awe-inspiring. 

Being Meta can make movies feel outdated very quickly but it can also make movies get a cult following in retrospect. The Brady Bunch Movie and A Very Brady Sequel are pretty popular among millennial and gen-Z meme culture even though almost none of them watched the original show and it's 70s people living in a 90s context is now kinda funny again because 90s nostalgia has taken off again. Makes me wonder if they could make a Bratz movie now. It'd be a lot more niche than Barbie but on a smaller budget with the right direction in could be a good way of satirizing 2000s culture. Could almost be a spiritual successor to the Barbie movie too or its evil twin. There is something about 2000s culture and the effect it had on women that I think is very interesting to explore. 

Edited by Fanboy

12 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I wanted to say... I am old, and fuck, I feel it (I got hurt in training on Monday and can still barely turn my head today - I need weeks to recover nowadays) BUT....it's 3 decades. Let's not make each other feel sadder than necessary,

Yes it's 30 years ago but it also covers four decades ☹️