Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

18 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Big wins for WB/Universal. Disney is no question pissed 

Eh, i’m sure they could just green-light a live-action encanto remake to get things back on track 🔥

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, KC7 said:

To be fair, Warner Bros had a movie dated for this weekend before Universal bought Oppenheimer. It was originally supposed to be Coyote vs. Acme, which announced for this date in December 2020. It was almost a year later, when Universal bought it, that they scheduled Oppenheimer on the date, since it's "reserved" for Nolan. Six months later, WB replaced Coyote vs Acme, which clearly isn't ready, with Barbie. It makes perfect sense for them between what was expected to be their big June release (The Flash) and their big August one (Meg 2), and has the same wide audience appeal as the movie they originally had scheduled. I don't think there's necessarily anything malicious or nefarious about slotting a movie targeting a completely different audience. This isn't a Disney rereleasing The Little Mermaid opposite Anastasia situation.

I doubt Nolan views it this way. His contracts with Warner Brothers in the past required that they release zero other movies in the period of 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after his new movie. Same exact contractual language is sitting on Universal right now. Competition for screens is competition for screens. 

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I could see that. It would be one way to guarantee that two studios are not trying to screw him on screen counts. Right now he has Warner, Paramount, and Disney all screwing him this weekend. The movie is not getting anywhere near the screen count of his previous big budget films. If he's able to have two studios on the next project, it at least removes one competitor for screens. 

I do think with films having higher budgets, two studios being involved with one film reduces the risk and it's become less common.

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

They shot Coyote vs Acme here and a I met someone who was an extra on it. I'm surprised it's not ready yet considering it's been done shooting for over a year at this point.

I suspect WB are sitting on it but I think it will get released next year just to fill a gap in the summer.

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll always wonder how this weekend would've turned out if we got Sony's Barbie starring Amy Schumer instead of the one we have now.

It would have gotten a 28 on Metacritic and opened to 15 million at the high point

• Haha 1

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll always wonder how this weekend would've turned out if we got Sony's Barbie starring Amy Schumer instead of the one we have now.

Bad. A Schumer-fied R rated Barbie sounds awful, and a water down one with her sounds wildly miscast and pointless. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I doubt Nolan views it this way. His contracts with Warner Brothers in the past required that they release zero other movies in the period of 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after his new movie. Same exact contractual language is sitting on Universal right now. Competition for screens is competition for screens. 

I do think Nolan's zero competition from the same studio for 6 weeks is one thing he needs to drop because there's no harm in Universal or WB releasing a film which is not even the same audience and you don't see Spielberg or Cameron demanding it. It comes across as arrogant.

37 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What are you gonna do with Mickey Mouse?  I could see a big blowout type of movie like a Fantasia type deal,  a big animated feature.  Obviously you can't do live action with the character lol 

Epic Mickey in movie format would be kinda cool

The fact they put Barbie vs Nolan was for me the best sign Barbie would have been a good movie, and why i was sure about It. 

They wouldn't have risk a movie panned by critics and a commercial failure. Clearly they were sure about the quality of what gerwig was doing and they knew there were interesting ways to promote it. 

50 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Oppenheimer, I think, will have legs not quite as great as Inception, but it'll open high enough (around $75m-$80m) where it will hit $300m.

And Barbie is gonna hit over $500m.

Fucking glorious weekend. 

The concept of a "guys talking in rooms" movie making 300 million is NUTS. Happy to see it.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

If Nolan's really that much of a baby, then he needs to blame Universal for scheduling his movie on a weekend after another studio had already called it.

So let's say Barbie does 600 million domestic and let's say sound of freedom does 200 domestic, what's the bigger story of the year?

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

So let's say Barbie you guys 600 million domestic and let's say sound of freedom does 200 domestic, what's the bigger story of the year?

I'd say Sound of Freedom is more unexpected.

• Like 3