Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Dune 1 made 60m between Russia and China. Dune 2 will be lucky to make 10m in China given how poorly 1 was received there in China and will do nothing in Russia.

Thinking 500m for Dune 2. I don't think it blew up on streaming like Spider-Verse did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Dune 1 made 60m between Russia and China. Dune 2 will be lucky to make 10m in China given how poorly 1 was received there in China and will do nothing in Russia.

Thinking 500m for Dune 2. I don't think it blew up on streaming like Spider-Verse did.

$60m isn't a lot for two countries, the majority of Dune's money was from Europe. 

15 minutes ago, KC7 said:

In this article (which contains a minor spoiler about a cameo), she seems excited for it:

"There’s a tone and a humor and a joy, and obviously the world is so beautiful," Gerwig said. "I want to go back to Barbie Land."

She may or may not have to wait for long for her return. Gerwig added that she hopes the movie, in theaters Friday July 21, "is the launch of a world and a bunch of different Barbie movies."

Well, that’s very different than what I saw from her about it several weeks back lol

Why TF would any expect Dune 2 to go down, other than that Dune 1's marketing was fantastic and Dune 2 so far feel smaller. 

Dune 1 opened during that absurd day and date w/ HBO Minus and while theaters were still struggling. it was also very well received. No doubt Dune 2 should see a nice bump if its good.  

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well, that’s very different than what I saw from her about it several weeks back lol

WB will finance 5 more LITTLE WOMEN type films for her if she makes BARBIE RETURNS asap.

And no way they can do it with Robbie and Gosling. They 100% have to be back and in the lead. 

Barbie is an extraordinary movie.

The hilarious, ridiculous, joyous nature of this film shines through constantly as it layers in the nuances and contradictions of our gendered existence, for women and men. The movie feels intuitive, not preachy. It’s both slapstick and high brow comedy. It’s smart and ridiculous. It’s self-aware and sincere. It’s funny and moving.

I would love to see Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach win Best Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars.

What a splendid experience - both in terms of the film itself and the buzz and vibe at the theatre.

I need to see it again.

For now, I’m looking forward to part two of ‘Barbenheimer’ next week from another visionary director. :)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Agreed around 500. Idk if that’s enough for profitability. 200 as the budget seems low… 

Just got out of the theater for Oppenheimer and good fucking lord I need to rest after that. Have to think hard if it's daddy Nolan's best film, but it might just be.

Dolby theater knocked my heart offbeat I think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

It's bizarre because the legacy film record is really quite awful aside from the random eruption of DA FORCE AWAKENS or MAVERICK. For each overperformer, there are 5 films like MIB INTERNATIONAL", "CHARLIES ANGELS", "SHAFT", "CHIPS" etc 

The big ones are big enough to drive the industry.  Disney has really been pushing this strategy, but the other studios are certainly putting in efforts to have similar results. Here’s a list from 2010 to now of big movies that had nostalgia boosting them:

2010 - Toy Story 3  $1.1 billion

2011 - Potter DH2  $1.3 billion

2012 - Avengers $1.5 billion

2015 - Furious 7 $1.5 billion 

2015 - Jurassic World $1.7 billion 

2015 - Force Awakens $2 billion 

2016 - Jungle Book $1 billion 

2016 - Finding Dory $1 billion 

2016 - Rogue One $1 billion 

2017 - Beauty & Beast $1.3 billion 

2017 - Jumanji $1 billion 

2019 - Avengers Endgame $2.8 billion 

2019 - Lion King $1.6 billion 

2019 - Toy Story $1 billion 

2019 - Aladdin $1 billion 

2021 - Spidey NWH $1.9 billion 

2022 - Top Gun Mav $1.5 billion 

2022 - Avatar Water $2.3 billion 

2023 - Super Mario $1.3 billion 

2023 - Barbie $1+ billion 

26 minutes ago, cannastop said:

What are kids even into these days. Anime?

Small dose content hits, like social media