The Wild Eric

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

Just now, cannastop said:

Ehh IDK if that counts as Nostalgia bait

2011 is just 4 years after the book was released

I’m referring to the kids who loved the original Potter movie in 2001. For them, 10 years later it was a massive wave of nostalgia with DH2’s release. I remember some of the Potter fans on box office forums talking about that angle. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The big ones are big enough to drive the industry.  Disney has really been pushing this strategy, but the other studios are certainly putting in efforts to have similar results. Here’s a list from 2010 to now of big movies that had nostalgia boosting them:

2010 - Toy Story 3  $1.1 billion

2011 - Potter DH2  $1.3 billion

2012 - Avengers $1.5 billion

2015 - Furious 7 $1.5 billion 

2015 - Jurassic World $1.7 billion 

2015 - Force Awakens $2 billion 

2016 - Jungle Book $1 billion 

2016 - Finding Dory $1 billion 

2016 - Rogue One $1 billion 

2017 - Beauty & Beast $1.3 billion 

2017 - Jumanji $1 billion 

2019 - Avengers Endgame $2.8 billion 

2019 - Lion King $1.6 billion 

2019 - Toy Story $1 billion 

2019 - Aladdin $1 billion 

2021 - Spidey NWH $1.9 billion - HYBRID

2022 - Top Gun Mav $1.5 billion 

2022 - Avatar Water $2.3 billion 

2023 - Super Mario $1.3 billion 

2023 - Barbie $1+ billion 

I don't see the bolded as true nostalgia pulls, just my opinion. They're pieces of very active franchises (at the time) or unique adaptions. Jurassic World was a nostalgia pull. Force Awakens, Maverick, NWH, the Disney live action versions of animated classics.

The list of failed attempts is even longer 😬

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Well I guess it doesn't have to be...

Ain't no way Barbie was Gerwig's original idea

The worst part is when sequels to original movies are "Adapted screenplays" because they are "based on characters from the first movie" like Glass Onion was adapted screenplay because Benoit Blanc was from Knives Out 

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

The worst part is when sequels to original movies are "Adapted screenplays" because they are "based on characters from the first movie" like Glass Onion was adapted screenplay because Benoit Blanc was from Knives Out 

I don't see why that's bad. The characters are adapted into a different story.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

yeah that's a bit BS lol

Like Toy Story 3 is an "adapted screenplay"

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I guess that makes sense if you start with assumption that the same person may not write the sequel, so you’d be crediting original screenplay to someone who uses pre-existing characters they did not create 

Random, related, question: would Hamlet 2 have been an original or adapted story?

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Do people realize how much money Glass Onion would have made with a proper theatrical exclusive release? Ugh. 

Probably the biggest missed opportunity in recent memory. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I’m referring to the kids who loved the original Potter movie in 2001. For them, 10 years later it was a massive wave of nostalgia with DH2’s release. I remember some of the Potter fans on box office forums talking about that angle. 

I mean, it wasn't only 2 movies. There's 6 other movies between the first and last. Saying the last Harry Potter movie is a legacy sequel/nostalgia play doesn't make sense. The previous movie was released 7 months before.

It wasn't nostalgia; it was a closing chapter.

8 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I don't see the bolded as true nostalgia pulls, just my opinion. They're pieces of very active franchises (at the time) or unique adaptions. Jurassic World was a nostalgia pull. Force Awakens, Maverick, NWH, the Disney live action versions of animated classics.

The list of failed attempts is even longer 😬

Avengers 2012 had people waiting 60 years for it. Many of them grew up with the characters wanting a big screen movie. Similar nostalgia fueled Superman 1978, Batman 1989, and Spider-Man 2002. It’s fueling Barbie right now in a similar way. It fueled Super Mario as well. 

Furious 7 had nostalgic feelings due to Paul Walker’s death. The franchise was 14 years old by that point. That’s plenty of time gone by to add nostalgia factor. 

I’m not sure how you don’t think Jungle Book was trading on nostalgia? It’s the same thing they did with all the animated remakes, most recently Little Mermaid. 

I love Rogue One, but that movie was definitely fueled by nostalgia. The story directly ties into the original Star Wars movie. Nostalgic jet fuel for box office success right there.

Spidey: NWH pulled in actors from the old Spidey movies 20 years earlier. Definitely some powerful nostalgia going on with this one. 

Avatar 2 was 13 years after the first movie. Long ass time, long enough to creep into nostalgia territory…especially for people who were very young in 2009. If you were 10 years old in 2009, you waited more than your entire life for the sequel. 

Avengers Endgame and Potter DH2 were each 11 years after the beginning of the franchise. After all the movies released during that 11 year time period for both the MCU and Potter, I think both of those fanbases were feeling plenty of nostalgia heading into the release of those 2 “finale” movies. 

28 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Why TF would any expect Dune 2 to go down, other than that Dune 1's marketing was fantastic and Dune 2 so far feel smaller. 

Dune 1 opened during that absurd day and date w/ HBO Minus and while theaters were still struggling. it was also very well received. No doubt Dune 2 should see a nice bump if its good.  

No one is saying down but not too much higher neither. 500 - 600 max probably. But even going under should not be discarded. Saying anything could happen. And it could become a flop. Like BR 2049. Could. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best

11 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Do people realize how much money Glass Onion would have made with a proper theatrical exclusive release? Ugh. 

Good for Netflix, you people being mad make Netflix seem more premium than it is. Netflix could have made a day and date tho. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best

9 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Finally had an original movie do very well at the BO and ripe for sequels....for the sequels to go on primarily on streaming.

2 minutes ago, KGPatt2 said:

I mean, it wasn't only 2 movies. There's 6 other movies between the first and last. Saying the last Harry Potter movie is a legacy sequel/nostalgia play doesn't make sense. The previous movie was released 7 months before.

It wasn't nostalgia; it was a closing chapter.

I can only go based on the comments Potter fans were writing at the time. When they would bring up how young they were with the first movie and grew up into adult age by the time of DH2, that sounds a lot like nostalgia to me. 

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Finally had an original movie do very well at the BO and ripe for sequels....for the sequels to go on primarily on streaming.

And boosted Netflix profile how people on the internet talked 24/7 about Netflix like it was a premium service, or begging for Nintendo Exclusives on PC on Steam.