Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

17 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Renaissance thursday has less than half of what Eras got for its friday on its OD. Both these movies start their shows only at 6PM or later. So its presales wont be in the ballpark of Eras plus its having an earlier presales start. 

Still the numbers are looking really good looking in isolation. Studios wont be happy with these direct releases bypassing them making so much money 🙂

What’re the actual ticket sales so far?

20 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Renaissance thursday has less than half of what Eras got for its friday on its OD. Both these movies start their shows only at 6PM or later. So its presales wont be in the ballpark of Eras plus its having an earlier presales start. 

Still the numbers are looking really good looking in isolation. Studios wont be happy with these direct releases bypassing them making so much money 🙂

Renaissance has thurs previews so this could damage friday pre sales in the comparison with TES. Or are you counting then in the Friday too?. 

47 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Dang it’s less than half of the biggest day one presales for any movie in history

If it’s close enough to where that comparison even needs to be made then I think its very likely that the sales will point to a $100M+ debut regardless of how close they are to TET

20 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Renaissance MTC1

Previews - 50100/281381 1283443.00 1356 shows

Friday - 33204/622164 855270.00 2929 shows

Michelle Obama Thumbs Up GIF

In line with my expectations. Your 6 hours TET MTC1 Friday update was 330676 tickets sold. This is 83304 after 10-11 hours. By ATP, it’s at 31% of TET (going by the above referenced timeframe.)

• Like 1

Just want to plant my flag on something real quick ...

Admittedly not in my wheelhouse, but as Five Nights at Freddy's is based on a popular video game, even though the film's subject falls into the horror/thriller genre, those films may not be the greatest comps for the presale pattern. There's a fairly long history of these video game films having a much lower walk-up to presale ratio (probably in part because gamers are more accustomed to the nature of content pre-orders)

Going to wait and see how quickly - or not - this initial burst dies down before using the "b" word

• Like 2

On 9/30/2023 at 1:58 PM, Porthos said:

Le Sigh.

(well, ATP calculations should be somewhat simpler, I suppose...)

8 hours ago, Outlander said:

Beys tickets being much more expensive than Taylor's and kids and seniors having the same price as adults ....

I would like to formally retract my earlier comment, for the record. :rant:

(saw @XXR's Eras Tour's rough estimation of a 18% hike over TET — anyone else want to chime in on this???)

The impression is that these concert film generally attract less typical moviegoers, thereby causing less crowding out impact like other big hit. I hope this theory stay true or if not, with this crazy high ATP, that is squeezing people's wallet for any money left to the other films. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would like to formally retract my earlier comment, for the record. :rant:

(saw @XXR's Eras Tour's rough estimation of a 18% hike over TET — anyone else want to chime in on this???)

Based on Keyser’s numbers that I referenced above, MTC1 OD is $25.67 vs $20.75 which is nearly 24% higher. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Relevation said:

Dang it’s less than half of the biggest day one presales for any movie in history

If it’s close enough to where that comparison even needs to be made then I think its very likely that the sales will point to a $100M+ debut regardless of how close they are to TET

so are you still in the club 200M for The eras tour? 😄

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Breaks the mental price point most folks will pay - a price elasticity of demand thing. 

This, plus the fact the child tickets are the same price as adults for Beyoncé. So $22 for a child will make parents rethink bring their kids, compared to $13 for Eras.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The impression is that these concert film generally attract less typical moviegoers, thereby causing less crowding out impact like other big hit. I hope this theory stay true or if not, with this crazy high ATP, that is squeezing people's wallet for any money left to the other films. 

a big part of the fans of a popstar of course can be someone goes very often at the cinemas. Then definitely every kind of special event, not only pop concerts, can attract an audience usually don't go. But i don't know...I think if you feel like the movie of your favourite artst is an event because of the big screen you're not someone never goes to the theaters in a year. 

Hello , I'm new , i know a lot on box office and I would like to know if the beginning of presales of Five Night at Freddy is comparable to Halloween Ends or Scream VI even with the low shows and finally the comparison with The Exorcist, now at T-3, please

PS : The beginning for Beyonce Concert is really good , it could hurts the legs of Wish, Napoleon , Hunger Games or The Trolls 3

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sparkle Jump Rope Queen said:

could thursday numbers be higher than friday's for renaissance film? ive seen many fans snatch tickets for nov 30 instead of dec 1 or is it not possible since there's only a few showings on thursday 

Yes, it could be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outlander said:

I wonder if there will be any press release as to how much Beys film has grossed in presales. 

Wasnt it reported that Taylor broke the AMC 1st day presale record in just 3 hours after its announcement?

Yea that was reported. Idk if Renaissance will be reported but I’m estimating $8-9M first day for it (from AMC.)