Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

I'm not predicting Dune 2's run to follow FNAF's, I was only responding to the statement that fan driven movies can't open to $80M by saying it was untrue as we literally just saw FNAF do exactly that. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Wotad said:

That doesn't seem possible in this scenario where Dune 2 is nearly doubling the 1sts weekend gross

Ah okay, I havent been able to follow the numbers too much recently-nevermind, everyone carry on :)

23 hours ago, jeffthehat said:

Malco

Dune: Part Two

Day     T-Release      Sales     Seats     Shows     Growth  
  Thu   T-5   1150   11158     62    +5.2%
  Fri   T-6   1614   22401   129   +6.8%

Thursday Comps

1.69x The Marvels T-5 = $11.2m

1.98x HG BoSS T-5 = $11.4m

3.66x Wonka T-5 = $12.8m

Friday Comps

2.27x The Marvels T-6 = $34.0m

2.44x HG BoSS T-6 = $32.3m

---

Guessing the comps I have will point to ~$11m Thu only at finish. 

Malco

Dune: Part Two

Day     T-Release      Sales     Seats     Shows     Growth  
  Thu   T-4   1217   11158     62    +5.8%
  Fri   T-5   1735   22550   132   +7.4%

Thursday Comps

1.73x The Marvels T-4 = $11.4m

1.98x HG BoSS T-4 = $11.4m

3.76x Wonka T-4 = $13.2m

Friday Comps

2.26x The Marvels T-5 = $33.8m

2.46x HG BoSS T-5 = $32.6m

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I almost never do this, but late late last night I did a pull on Friday numbers locally for Dune: Part Two.

(this is in fact a Tracking post which is why I am making it here)

Quick One Time Look at Dune: Part Two SACTO FRIDAY SHOWTIMES

3169/37280 (8.50% sold) [250 showtimes]

1.23934x Dune 2 Thursday pre-sales                    [???m]

1.01668x Dune 2 Sunday + Thursday pre-sales   [???m]

-----

Some selected High Traffic [for this movie at any rate] theaters:

362 tickets sold at Century Arden        [105.23% of Thr sales]

196 tickets sold at Regal Delta Shores [92.45% of Thr sales]

270 tickets sold at Cinemark Roseville [104.65% of Thr sales]

591 tickets sold at EsquireIMAX            [128.48% of Thr sales]

====

Not gonna dig deep into the numbers, but by eyeball test holding better than TET did on its Fri-->Sat sales at this point in time (Sat was running at around 92% to 93% or so of Fri as of T-7 [no I don't have anything closer).

Now outside of TET I don't have anything really to compare this to, so no comment about legs at all here (and not the thread for that discussion as Eric has reminded us). 

But what I can say is that much like Oppenheimer this is doing bananas PLF business past previews.  And considering this has a ton of PLF demand already burnt off, that's not too bad.

(no I didn't figure out the PLF percentage and I'm about to head out the door  — might figure it out in about an hour or so_

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I almost never do this, but late late last night I did a pull on Friday numbers locally for Dune: Part Two.

(this is in fact a Tracking post which is why I am making it here)

Quick One Time Look at Dune: Part Two SACTO FRIDAY SHOWTIMES

3169/37280 (8.50% sold) [250 showtimes]

(no I didn't figure out the PLF percentage and I'm about to head out the door  — might figure it out in about an hour or so_

Since it's about 45 minutes later, a separate post.

PLF percentage for Friday is 67.21% of all sales (2130/3169).  That's broadly similar to the current Thursday PLF percentage of 70.28% of all sales (1797/2557).  Within the same ballpark at any rate.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, vafrow said:

From my vantage point, Dune 2 has been remarkably unremarkable in its growth. In my tracking, I don't think it's had a bad day, but I don't think it's had a great day. Just steady, single digit daily growth.

I also have been wondering about the advertising here. I don't like putting too much stock in ads seen because it's so anecdotal, but, I really haven't seen a lot advertised on this. I was watching a hockey game last night, and, if you have a big film being advertised in Canada, Saturday broadcast is where the eyeballs are.

It feels like WB has assessed that this isn't a franchise that's going to go much beyond it's core audience, and they're focused on that audience. I know there's a big premiere event happening in Montreal with Chalamet and Villeneuve appearing at. Watching some subreddits, core fans are going crazy trying to secure tickets.

My worry is that if Dune can't break out of its box, there's a lot of big films this year that will have similar challenges. Planet of the Apes and Furiosa are the two that concern me. 

Is that true about the eyeballs for Canada TV being on a Saturday broadcast? Cause its like the polar opposite in the US where Saturday is an infamous dead zone in terms of television audience (at least since the 1990’s, prior to that it had been a big night for NBC in the 80’s & was CBS’s top rated night in the 70’s).

Traditionally in the US studios wanted to market their films most heavily on Thursday nights. Its one of the reasons Thursday nights became “must see tv” on NBC in the 80’s & 90’s and why the other networks worked hard to break the monopoly NBC had on total viewership for that night. Advertising rates for Thursday nights were higher in part because the Hollywood studios used that night so aggressively to market their film slates for the upcoming weekend (there were also other types of advertisers who favored Thursday nights because the product they were marketing was more likely to be bought by households on the weekend, but given the importance of weekend box office relative to weekday it was just particularly important for the studios). 

Sorry, i know that was a bit off topic and a tangent, but i bring up this marketing history just to point to the challenges the marketing departments at studios have nowadays. Flooding the airwaves of television on the Thursday night before your movie opens just doesn’t help you in the same way it used to, theres nowhere near as many eyeballs watching and of the smaller number that are, some are either delaying viewing to fast forward through commercials or flipping through their phones during ad breaks, not paying attention.   In terms of what Warner believes for who the audience of Dune is, I disagree that they have assessed this to

just be a movie for the core fans, in fact I think they are doing what they can to position this movie for audience beyond the core Dune fans (that doesn’t necessarily mean their efforts will be successful). Matt Belloni (now at Puck News, previously the editor of the Hollywood Reporter) has said that the marketing and exhibition teams at WB have been frustrated/struggled on expanding the audience & getting this movie to track at the level they think it should & could be tracking at. Anyways this is already way too long (sorry guys!) but they are trying, they delayed release to March to ensure they’d open after the SAG strike precisely because they see the young cast as an important marketing tool to younger audiences (its why they’ve been sending them around the world for the last month), theres been weeks of across the board ad spending on tv, Youtube, socials, radio, etc. they screened the movie for exhibitors in early January to get them excited, screened the movie for critics/media far & wide & lifted embargoes early, re-released Dune in theaters w/ part 2 previews, this weeks Tenet IMAX re-release w/ Dune previews, early access screenings tonight to gin up word of mouth for this week, etc. 

ok really am done now! Sorry that was so

long.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Maaatt said:

Is that true about the eyeballs for Canada TV being on a Saturday broadcast? Cause its like the polar opposite in the US where Saturday is an infamous dead zone in terms of television audience (at least since the 1990’s, prior to that it had been a big night for NBC in the 80’s & was CBS’s top rated night in the 70’s).

Traditionally in the US studios wanted to market their films most heavily on Thursday nights. Its one of the reasons Thursday nights became “must see tv” on NBC in the 80’s & 90’s and why the other networks worked hard to break the monopoly NBC had on total viewership for that night. Advertising rates for Thursday nights were higher in part because the Hollywood studios used that night so aggressively to market their film slates for the upcoming weekend (there were also other types of advertisers who favored Thursday nights because the product they were marketing was more likely to be bought by households on the weekend, but given the importance of weekend box office relative to weekday it was just particularly important for the studios). 

Sorry, i know that was a bit off topic and a tangent, but i bring up this marketing history just to point to the challenges the marketing departments at studios have nowadays. Flooding the airwaves of television on the Thursday night before your movie opens just doesn’t help you in the same way it used to, theres nowhere near as many eyeballs watching and of the smaller number that are, some are either delaying viewing to fast forward through commercials or flipping through their phones during ad breaks, not paying attention.   In terms of what Warner believes for who the audience of Dune is, I disagree that they have assessed this to

just be a movie for the core fans, in fact I think they are doing what they can to position this movie for audience beyond the core Dune fans (that doesn’t necessarily mean their efforts will be successful). Matt Belloni (now at Puck News, previously the editor of the Hollywood Reporter) has said that the marketing and exhibition teams at WB have been frustrated/struggled on expanding the audience & getting this movie to track at the level they think it should & could be tracking at. Anyways this is already way too long (sorry guys!) but they are trying, they delayed release to March to ensure they’d open after the SAG strike precisely because they see the young cast as an important marketing tool to younger audiences (its why they’ve been sending them around the world for the last month), theres been weeks of across the board ad spending on tv, Youtube, socials, radio, etc. they screened the movie for exhibitors in early January to get them excited, screened the movie for critics/media far & wide & lifted embargoes early, re-released Dune in theaters w/ part 2 previews, this weeks Tenet IMAX re-release w/ Dune previews, early access screenings tonight to gin up word of mouth for this week, etc. 

long.

Saturday night is Hockey Night it Canada.  It shows the Canadian teams (by market) and is something of a national institution.  I doubt it gets as many eyeballs as it did in years gone by (before the advent of streaming, gaming, social media etc.), but it will be on in just about any bar/restaurant or social gathering in a home.  People may not be watching it, but it will just be in the background, like football would on a Sunday afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Maaatt said:

long.

Saturday viewing is more specific to the hockey broadcast. Saturday night's Hockey Night in Canada is probably most comparable to Monday Night Football. 

Outside of that, Canadian viewership patterns mimic that of Americans for the most part.

Going back to the advertising, I wasn't watching the main game, so maybe there was a different marketing presence there, but I found the lack of anything a bit surprising. 

It also made me realize that I haven't seen much of the campaign on this. It hasn't hit my socials. But, WB has been a bit less traditional up here. At Christmas, they worked with the main theatre chain to run a pretty ridiculous promotion, where buying tickets to all three of Wonka, Color Purple and Aquaman was netting people $50 worth of loyalty points. It's possible they're working on something along those lines.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 10:21 PM, abracadabra1998 said:

Minneapolis-St. Paul Area Previews:

Dune Part 2 (T-7):

Day: T-11, T-7 Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Thursday: 18 theaters 85 522 2669 16811 15.88
Sunday Feb 25 EA: 4 theaters 4 153 947 1082 87.52
TOTALS: 89 675 3616 17893 20.21

Type of tix: Total: New: Percentage:
PLFs: 2343 435 87.79
MTC1: 1326 192 49.68
Marcus: 280 61 10.49
Alamo: 355 40 13.3
Other chains: 708 229 26.53

Comps (Thursday only):

1.26x Oppy: $13.21 Million

2.15x The Marvels: $14.18 Million

2x MI7 (w/ EA): $17.97 Million

0.67x Barbie (w/ EA): $14.91 Million

Average: $15.07 Million

Even as it's cooling down in this market, still running ahead of most other places. Indy comp just didn't make sense so I took that out.

Dune Part 2 (T-4):

Day: T-4, T-1 hour Shows New Sold Seats % Sold
Thursday: 18 theaters 86 474 3143 17059 18.42
Sunday Feb 25 EA: 4 theaters 4 108 1055 1082 97.5
TOTALS: 90 582 4198 18141 23.14

PLFs: 2748 405 87.43
MTC1: 1521 195 48.39
Marcus: 333 53 10.59
Alamo: 399 44 12.69
Other chains: 890 182 28.32

(Chart is Thursday tickets only)

Comps (Thursday only):

1.17x Oppy: $12.24 Million

2.27x The Marvels: $14.96 Million

1.62x MI7 (w/ EA): $14.6 Million

0.62x Barbie (w/ EA): $13.72 Million

Average: $13.88 Million

@TheFlatLannister I have been super busy so I wasn't able to answer your post, but basically The Marvels is the only MCU movie I have, no ATSV or anything else :( I know it's not a good comp, but I have a serious dearth of good ones. Oppy expectedly dropping, I think the comp value will be under $10 Million at T-1.

As to the big city problem that @M37 has mentioned, I definitely agree. My market consistently overperforms for cinephile/ younger-skewing titles (KoFM, Dune, Hunger Games etc.). I am planning on expanding a bit of the theaters I track to include some greater Minnesota (maybe Mankato, Rochester, Duluth, or at least greater metro area) to address this, but that is a summer project for me. Teaching is just too much at the moment and this is the most I can do :( 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

The Chosen S4, Eps 7-8 (T-4):

Day: T-4 Shows New Seats Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 14 theaters 26 178 178 2293 7.76

PLFs: 0 0 0
MTC1: 69 69 38.76
Marcus: 61 61 34.27
Alamo: 0 0 0
Other chains: 48 48 26.97

Comps:

0.85x Chosen S4, Eps 4-6: $660k

0.33x Chosen S4, Eps 1-3: $480k

1.05x After Death: $420k

1.38x The Shift: $515k

Average: $520k

Kung Fu Panda 4 and Imaginary updates later tonight!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Tough comparison there. Wasn't FNAF also released on Peacock the week it came out?  

I expect Dune Part 2 to have a nice opening but better legs.  I think there will be some repeat viewings and maybe more importantly, there is nothing on the calendar that's going to eat into it.  It has a great release date. 

Kung Fu Panda will take over Dolby Cinema halls in Dune second weekend. Besides some projections are seeing Kung fu Panda at a possible 35M+ OW. These are def factors that may prevent  Dune second weekend from getting better legs.

• Like 1

MTC1 is just below 47K. It should cross 50K by the time all west coast shows start. Pretty impressive but expected. MTC2 is just 14 shows and 3426/4319. Even if it sells out everything it wont make more than 75K 🙂 MTC3 is the other big chain that should do good numbers and its playing in many independent Imax theaters including Museum ones. San Jose Tech Museum has sold out as is many other museum imax. it should be enough to cross 2m.  

• Like 11

23 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA

DUNE 2 IMAX EA

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

65.4%

SELLOUTS

1288 seats sold over the past week-ish 

Super strong EA sales continue 

FLORIDA

DUNE 2 IMAX EA

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

68.7%

SELLOUTS

188 seats sold since yesterday 

Strong finish to EA sales. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

The Chosen S4, Eps 7-8 (T-4):

Day: T-4 Shows New Seats Sold Seats % Sold
Totals: 14 theaters 26 178 178 2293 7.76

PLFs: 0 0 0
MTC1: 69 69 38.76
Marcus: 61 61 34.27
Alamo: 0 0 0
Other chains: 48 48 26.97

Comps:

0.85x Chosen S4, Eps 4-6: $660k

0.33x Chosen S4, Eps 1-3: $480k

1.05x After Death: $420k

1.38x The Shift: $515k

Average: $520k

Kung Fu Panda 4 and Imaginary updates later tonight!

These numbers make me realize how insane is the ~12M box office got this weekend by Sony’s Crumchyroll Demon Slayer (two episodes). Anime is a really big deal in the US.

23 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

DUNE 2

Thursday 

T-5

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

6.5%

*numbers taken as of 6:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

SELLOUTS

Orlando

SEATS SOLD

*148 seats sold

COMPS

T-5

(1.090x) of Oppenheimer $11.45M 

(0.457x) of Barbie $9.65M 

(0.579x) of ATSV $10.05M 

(2.345x) of Aquaman 2 $10.55M 

Comps average: $10.45M

Good news, it increased against Oppenheimer today for the first time in a while. Still decreasing quickly against Barbie and ATSV. Removed Wonka because that comp was at $8M

FLORIDA 

DUNE 2

Thursday 

T-4

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

6.9%

*numbers taken as of 6:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

SELLOUTS

Orlando

SEATS SOLD

*144 seats sold

COMPS

T-4

(1.057x) of Oppenheimer $11.10M 

(0.445x) of Barbie $9.39M 

(0.540x) of ATSV $9.37M 

(2.370x) of Aquaman 2 $10.67M 

Comps average: $10.13M

It's T-4 and i'm still not seeing much in terms of pace. Decreased against all comps except Aquaman 2 

Oppenheimer comp will likely fall under $11M for the first time tomorrow 

@M37 It's going to be tight, but I think you're right. 5K threshold seems likely assuming Dune can sell 1k seats in the final day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Does anyone know if RT/Fandango has opened verified audience reviews for early screenings before? Was wondering if we'd see the verified score up tonight or tomorrow morning

Edit: Nvm, just saw that RT does allow early screening viewers to rate, but the score doesn't show up until Friday.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1