Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

31 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Really? I’d have thought the macabre setting would turn away families with younger kids tbh.

Absolutely not. 

The original Beetlejuice is a cult classic amongst a lot of people and especially families. It's similar to other spooky family films like The Nightmare Before Christmas and Hocus Pocus. It's dark and macabre, but not every kid is gonna just instantly be scared by that type of stuff. There's a lot of kids who like to be scared and enjoy movies like that. It's why Beetlejuice has been able to grow its cult following ever since its original release. 

It's a film that just works for kids and adults alike. It has a dark edge to it, but also never goes too far to legitmately traumatize kids (though I know some were). This isn't even mentioning the interest coming from younger people who love Jenna Ortega because of Wednesday, which probably introduced them to Tim Burton and his filmography. 

It's complicated, but since the original Beetlejuice has become so popular thanks to a variety of factors, I have a feeling most parents (who also probably saw it when they were younger) would want to take their kids to this one. Trust me, this is not gonna alienate families with kids. 

• Like 1

There's a pretty extensive history of "Halloween scary" horror that isn't too gory and still appeals to family audiences. Addams family, Casper, we just had Coraline with a successful rerelease. Beetlejuice itself had a popular kids cartoon in the early 90s.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AniNate said:

There's a pretty extensive history of "Halloween scary" horror that isn't too gory and still appeals to family audiences. Addams family, Casper, we just had Coraline with a successful rerelease. Beetlejuice itself had a popular kids cartoon in the early 90s.

Exactly. 

Also, if we can get teenagers to go see an R-rated IT movie that is filled with so much blood, guts, and gruesome imagery and we can get them to care about shows like Wednesday and Stranger Things (which are also very dark), then I think they can handle a Beetlejuice sequel that's PG-13. 

• Like 1

I was hoping for some more upfront interest but does track with the weak Quorum.

They haven't really gone out of their way to announce tickets are on sale though, didn't get any e-mail blasts from Regal or Cinemark about it. Only someone following it as fervently as I am would be aware.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I was hoping for some more upfront interest but does track with the weak Quorum.

They haven't really gone out of their way to announce tickets are on sale though, didn't get any e-mail blasts from Regal or Cinemark about it. Only someone following it as fervently as I am would be aware.

I'm sure you already know this, but I wouldn't exactly look at pre-sales to determine the fate of this movie. 

For an animated film that has no attachment to any fan-driven IP, the presales aren't gonna be that great (especially the very first day). Personally, I think strong word-of-mouth is gonna carry this movie to success and potentially even to an opening akin to 2019's Abominable and 2022's The Bad Guys. Heck, maybe even higher because I think the trailers have done their job to sell people on this movie.

I really do want this one to succeed (DreamWorks needs to show they can do more than just sequels), but for The Wild Robot to be a hit, it's gotta play the long game. 

33 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Wild Robot MTC1

Previews - 3019/473321 51813.43 2646 shows

Friday - 3023/649306 46630.11 3569 shows

I would have thought this being based on a book, there would be some interest. But presales so far are meh. Let us where it is close to release. 

I mean it’s based on some random kids books. Don’t know the last time a kids book series was a big enough hit to have a sizable fanbase coming in to watch its adaptation. Hell, the diary of a wimpy kid movies couldn’t crack 100 mil WW a decade ago

I don't think they showed up because of the book but How to Train Your Dragon was a pretty big hit. My impression has been though that wild robot has a lot more of a presence in formal school curriculums so there might be more conscious awareness of it.

Book audience is just one part of the equation though, being a critically acclaimed best animated feature contender would be what gets it an audience beyond the diary of a wimpy kid base.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Wild Robot MTC1

Previews - 3019/473321 51813.43 2646 shows

Friday - 3023/649306 46630.11 3569 shows

I would have thought this being based on a book, there would be some interest. But presales so far are meh. Let us where it is close to release. 

Kung Fu Panda 4 MTC1 Previews - 2938/304300 42305.26 1991 shows

This is a bigger start than KFP4 day 1, I would call this good

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, excel1 said:

people were saying 50m opening weekend not long ago lets celebrate another epic breakout 

Exactly . We are going to have the only the second  movie  in September with a 100 million OW. It's the first weekend of Sept and the first weekend of the NFL. No reason to be down about what the movie will do this weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Ngl you8re totally right, but also like, every violent thing from the 80’s and 90’s got a kids cartoon. I mean goddamn robocop got one lmao

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

IO2 was coming down until the very late surge. The OW was a surprise after the final week of presales suggesting some frontloadness.

Twisters are pointing big but it did stronger than final days suggest too. Same for DM4. Dune 2 was only more extreme than those.

I’m not saying Beetlejuice will explode and do 150M. I’m just saying it can back up to 115-120M if this happens again instead of 105-110M that the final days are suggesting. 

I was arguing that these films didn’t have a “disappointing final week”, they still had very good walkups that boosted sales, but none of them were like Beetlejuice where projections prior to the final week were below projections the day of previews

• Like 1