Preview Sales by Format

Regular: 2/6

IMAX: 17/4

Comps

4.750x KOTPOTA for $23.8M

0.543x Joker 2 for $3.4M

3.800x BB:RoD for $22.3M

Average: $16.5M

Comps should be taken with a huge grain of salt. As indicated yesterday, this is falling between the heavy front loaded properties and second tier. Throw in hte long sales time and it gets wonkier.

The plf allocation remains interesting. Only IMAX. Nothing else. Not even VIP theatres, when there's plenty of those to gp around in my region.

Overall though, strong sales day one a month and a half out remains impressive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Terrifier 3, T-3 , Western GTA southern Ontario, Friday opening 

Ticket sales: 75

No comps, as I generally don't track Friday openings directly, and this is a unique case altogether.

Very strong sales that people were clearly waiting to open.

For these two locations, first day is comparable to FNAF, but that wss Thursday previews versus this, and also at T-8, versus T-3.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

From just 4pm yesterday, 4 of the closest 5 theaters to my house came online with showtimes for Terrifier 3.  I had already booked tickets for Friday for about 45 minutes away (versus 25-35 on these ones).  Three of the four put up Thursday showings (4 showings across the 3 theaters) and on Friday there are a new 19 showings across these four theaters.  Very encouraging news!!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Terrifier 3, T-3 , Western GTA southern Ontario, Friday opening 

Ticket sales: 75

No comps, as I generally don't track Friday openings directly, and this is a unique case altogether.

Very strong sales that people were clearly waiting to open.

For these two locations, first day is comparable to FNAF, but that wss Thursday previews versus this, and also at T-8, versus T-3.

No Thursday previews at MTC4?

1 hour ago, filmpalace said:

No Thursday previews at MTC4?

Nope. Which was the big cause of distress. With no Thursday previews, tickets for any showtime only became available yesterday, and the pent up demand lead to tons of questions on the chains sub reddit on when showtimes would appear. 

I should also state that Terrifier is playing in about one third of locations at MTC4. It also is playing in lots of smaller independent locations, many of which had this available before MTC4, so they might actually do decent business, so it's probably going to have a pretty strong theatre count.

But those locations are often discount theatres, coupled with no plf, I agree with others that ATP will likely be depressed.

11 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Imagine Terrifier 3 managed to outgross the likes of Tarot, Imaginary and AfrAId That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

I think Terrifier will certainly outgross those movies, since they all opened under (or just above) 10M. I'm more curious whether Terrifier can open to something like 20M. Anything above 5M would already be amazing for it tho.

Terrifier 3:  Just some theater increase numbers from when I was counting just shy of 1,300 theaters 2 days ago. 

AK went from 4 to 7 theaters 
AZ went from 35 to 48 theaters 
AR went from 6 to 14 
CO went from 30 to 40 
CT went from 6 to 15 
DE went from 2 to 5 
IA went from 13 to 25 
KY went from 15 to 29 
ME went from 0 to 5 
MI went from 45 to 74 
NH went from 1 to 4 
NM went from 9 to 13 
UT went from 9 to 22 
WI went from 29 to 37 
WY went from 0 to 5 

HUGE theater growth in the last 2 days and many are showing a full screen (4 to 5 showings a day Friday-Sunday).  Terrifier 3 has a punchers chance at #1 now imo.  

Edited by CompoundTheGains
  • Like 4

Alamo Drafthouse Chicago (Gladiator II VS. Wicked: Part 1)

Gladiator II Sold Amount Percent Sold
Thursday 47 195 24.1%
Friday 28 260 10.8%
Saturday 21 260 8.1%
Sunday 13 260 5.0%
Wicked Sold Amount Percent Sold
Thursday 115 309 37.2%
Friday 71 412 17.2%
Saturday 92 412 22.3%
Sunday 21 412 5.1%

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Menor the Destroyer said:

Venom 3 (from last night)

Fan Event: 7963/53036 178 shows

Thu: 23006/700097, 3716 shows

Fri: 14648/1021168, 5292 shows

It is actually doing ok relative to what we had for Venom 2, maybe a bit under as more theaters are tracked now. But that was 3 years ago at this point and not sure if it will have the same late surge that movie did. 

@Grand Cine do you have comps? Fan events are part of Thursday previews, they are IMAX 5pm showings. So it’s already 31k total for Thursday. For comparison, Aquaman 2 only crossed 30k in T-5.

Edited by leoh

So no Thursday previews for Terrifier 3?

edit; Deadline confirms Thursday previews at 8pm.

“After taking U.S. on Terrifier 2 for $250K, Cineverse reaped a ton of cash off its near $11M domestic take with spoils to boot with a spike in streaming subs for its ScreamBox service. A 2,300 theatrical release for Terrifier 3 is planned for this weekend, previews start at 8PM Thursday. Cineverse invested less than $5M in Terrifier 3, less than $1M of that is marketing. How’s that? They only marketed the movie to their Cineverse universe on streaming services, podcasts and Bloody Disgusting. We’re already hearing about sellouts for shows Thursday into Friday. The question is whether the marketing spend is enough to keep the word of mouth going. Iconic Releasing is handling the distribution of Terrifier 3”

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Imagine Terrifier 3 managed to outgross the likes of Tarot, Imaginary and AfrAId That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

All PG13 with bad reviews. Dream bigger…

The low grossing but well reviewed R rated ones are toast too ;) 

(The First Omen, Late Night with the Devil, Immaculate, Abigail, Maxxxine, Cuckoo, The Substance, Never Let Go….)

Edited by Krissykins

Wicked pre sales in NY and LA, in the theatres where I usually track, are having  a demand comparable to ‘Deadpool and Wolverine’ first few hours. It’s shockingly high demand. It’s really really impressive. It’s too early to be sure of anything, but this is the one that can challenge  Inside Out 2 place as this year second biggest domestic box office opening weekend.

However, something to keep in mind is that it’ll also have lower ATP if compared to IO2 or DW, since both had all PLFs and IMAX screens, while Wicked will split them with Gladiator.

Edited by leoh
  • Like 5