katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Why are people on this thread acting like Avengers isn't up there with Avatar in terms of money printing IPs? Sure, the franchise will never reach the peaks of Endgame, but brushing off $2B as almost impossible is weird to me. 

Because studio wars and franchise wars is our bread and butter. Sadly. I’m a fan of the genre, but it’s not like people here didn’t make several mental gymnastics to justify Spider-Man: No Way Home’s astounding success, and it will happen again with Deadpool 3 and trust me, it will happen AGAIN with Avengers. The reasoning for Avengers making to $2B I can already tell you: well it has Hugh Jackman and Tobey Maguire, so of course that the MCU can’t make that on their own. It’s predictable and boring, but it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Why are people on this thread acting like Avengers isn't up there with Avatar in terms of money printing IPs? Sure, the franchise will never reach the peaks of Endgame, but brushing off $2B as almost impossible is weird to me. 

It’s not impossible, but there’s a list a mile long of things going against this compared to the previous ones.  It’s just going to depend on overcoming them.   

• Like 1

Just now, Deep Wang said:

It’s not impossible, but there’s a list a mile long of things going against this compared to the previous ones.  It’s just going to depend on overcoming them.   

Hmm I guess there could possibly be another Avengers movie that could make $2 billion WW but it would need to be something that could plausibly get not-hardcore fans in.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Hmm I guess there could possibly be another Avengers movie that could make $2 billion WW but it would need to be something that could plausibly get not-hardcore fans in.

It’s def not going to be Kang Dynasty, that’s for damn sure lol.  The one after that maybe. 

29 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I've seen the movie. You haven't. So yeah, I can define what the movie is better than you can

There is a strong feminist take in Barbie, but this isn't "turn the female character in a warrior".

Honestly, I don't think "turn the feminine female character into a warrior" is currently a so popular trope between women.

Edited by Kon

25 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I think that's going a bit too far. Lol If those movies are good/well received, they have the potential to be successful and turn a profit. But regardless, the MCU still has the main players (Deadpool, Spider-Man, Blade, X-Men, FF) waiting in the wings. Unless/until they are tainted with bad movies, I don't think the MCU is close to becoming like the DCEU.  

Yup, yup. 
This gets toward a basic point. 
What if CA4 and Thunderbolts are really good? I guess that’s just an insane proposition. Thor was a nothing property at one point. GOTG was a nothing property at one point.  I remember this board after AOU was released. That was the end also. 
I don’t expect another crazy run like the 2017-2019 one. That’s not realistic. The last one grossed well over 2.5 billion dollars. Seems like there’s a way a billion dollar one can be a success. 
I don’t like the pseudo-Yankees fan position rooting for the MCU and Disney puts me in, but the venom is so strong and kinda weird. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

No Stark or Rogers or Natasha. Had a franchise that ended perfectly with endgame. The emotional investment required to get 2 billion dollars in my opinion isn't going to happen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

13 sucks I quit 

It's gonna have like a 45% weekend drop (maybe better) from a huge 82.5M opening weekend - and after the monstrous weekdays it had. It's a terrific number, no matter how you slice it.

Did we want more muted weekdays just to make the weekend appear better? 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3