katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

18 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I agree wholeheartedly. For the first time in a while it really felt like the filmmakers were actually invested in what they were making. It's a shame most of the world didn't respond to it. Jason Momoa is not only a great addition on his own, but I feel like his crazy performance creates a solid contrast with the usual Toretto melodrama, which oddly made me care about said family a lot more than in the past couple of movies. It's still not as good as the legendary 5 through 7 run, but it reignited my interest in the franchise akin to what the Sonic movie did for its brand. Despite the mixed reception from general audiences I really hope Leterrier ends up returning for the next film.

Fast X was good, It was ridiculous fun. Momoa delivered, some people like to bring the baggage from previews film into new ones. 

20 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

That Oppy projection with room to grow from walkups, we're so fucking back :ohmygod:

Where did we wander off to, since we're back now?

9 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Barbie is this year’s TGM

Barbie, Sound of Freedom, Mario, Oppenheimer. 

…lots of great boxoffice stories this year. 

Sound of freedom is an unfortunate box office story 

and yes with the strike and zero promotion blockbusters will ve moved and those that don’t move will have no big promotions and interviews because unless you are villeneuve, Nolan, Cameron , scorcese etc the movie is dead with marketing 

Edited by hasanahmad
  • Like 1

If the Marvel Releases on November is not getting an IMAX release, Dune part 2 will have an 5 to 6-7 weeks Exclusive IMAX window, longer than Oppenheimer Official one. Delay is probably not happening because they would loose that lenghty window, unless they do equall on 2024. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/dune-2-movie-imax-oppenheimer-b2382822.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/movies/amp/news/the-marvels-wont-screen-imax-dune-part-two-delay/

Edited by Day and Date The Best

2 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

and yes with the strike and zero promotion blockbusters will ve moved and those that don’t move will have no big promotions and interviews because unless you are villeneuve, Nolan, Cameron , scorcese etc the movie is dead with marketing 

SOF is the box office story of the year! The little film with a small budget and no marketing no advertising no billboards no TV spots. And yet it's going to make 200 million dollars here and who knows how much internationally. It's a fantastic movie, one of the best of the year that I've seen and it's a subject matter that needs to be talked about more. I'm thrilled that this movie found an audience.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

I still am utterly confused as to what the controversy around this movie is

Elemental’s hold against its first direct competition (that is flopping I might add) is not great, esp since the movie is grossing low numbers now. Not convinced it wasn’t helped majorly all these weeks by no competition. I think it was heading to 110 or so thanks to course correction for summer Pixar no matter what, unless it was hated. Add another 30m or so for no comp for so long, and yeah at the end of the day I’m back to thinking WOM wasn’t so exceptional or top tier Pixar or anything. It also needs to do a lot of heavy lifting on streaming/home media if it will ever end up profitable. 

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

5 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Go to the sound of freedom page in this forum and start from the beginning and read it. We aren't allowed to talk about the controversy of it in the box office threads.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Elemental’s hold against its first direct competition (that is flopping I might add) is not great, esp since the movie is grossing low numbers now. Not convinced it wasn’t helped majorly all these weeks by no competition. I think it was heading to 110 or so thanks to course correction for summer Pixar no matter what, unless it was hated. Add another 30m or so for no comp for so long, and yeah at the end of the day I’m back to thinking WOM wasn’t so exceptional or top tier Pixar or anything. It also needs to do a lot of heavy lifting on streaming/home media if it will ever end up profitable. 

Elemental lost 50% of the shows this weekend... that's the major reason for the bigger drop on Friday. How many movies can survive when it loses 50% of shows ?

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/31507-sound-of-freedom-discussion-of-the-movie-should-be-here-and-here-only-the-report-button-is-your-friend-keep-it-civil/#comments

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Elemental lost 50% of the shows this weekend... that's the major reason for the bigger drop on Friday. How many movies can survive when it loses 50% of shows ?

It’s grossing so low now that I would still expect a better hold from a movie that everyone says has phenomenal WOM. It’s also lost so many theaters likely due to finally having direct comp. If it had that before in its run, it wouldn’t have had the luxury of holding on to so many of its screens for so long. 

To me the movie is the definition of a movie with good WOM that got a whole lot of multi boosting from an OW so low thought impossible for the brand, and no direct comp for so long. 

Edited by MovieMan89

43 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So you don't buy The Marvels making that range?

Nope! 

I’ll put it this way: if you aren’t fairly sure a film is heading to $325M+, then best to assume it’s under $225M unless proven otherwise. That middle class basically doesn’t exist 

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Nope! 

I’ll put it this way: if you aren’t fairly sure a film is heading to $325M+, then best to assume it’s under $225M unless proven otherwise. That middle class basically doesn’t exist 

So basically. Hunger Games, Marvels, Dune will all make under 225M

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So basically. Hunger Games, Marvels, Dune will all make under 225M

Absolutely. 225 would be a massive win for any of those. Marvels can maybe go 175ish if well liked. Dune near locked under 150 and THG under 100 (maybe well under 100) imo

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Absolutely. 225 would be a massive win for any of those. Marvels can maybe go 175ish if well liked. Dune near locked under 150 and THG under 100 (maybe well under 100) imo

Imo THG is being severely underestimated. The games part of the movies always sold well, and this movie has that unlike Mockingjay. If Lionsgate sell that hard it can overperform easily.