katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

14 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I don't get the running joke here

I just think it’s funny to say “you’re an X” when somebody posts something. It’s a silly thing that people can get a giggle out of.

Just now, Day and Date The Best said:

It did well but it did Underperfom for the Caliber that is expected from record breaker James Cameron, and Pandemic affecting things fall under Underperformance. 

See you're making my point for me. Avatar was a record setter. The sequel had nowhere to go but down.

9 hours ago, baumer said:

@TwoMisfits

Sound of freedom looks like it's going to be at around $149 million at the end of the weekend. The projected total for this weekend is about 13.5 million. I enjoy picking your brain about a film's potential to hit a certain number. Do you think it has a chance to get to 200 million? 

I think it can and it'll probably scrape by the number. I am excited to see what it does on the international front now as there seems to be more and more markets that are being added.

I suspect because the international release is so staggered, it won't do great. In the UK, it's being released on the same day as The Equalizer 3. 

5 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

:ohmygod:

Barbie is doing insanely well OS, crazy breakout. It just took everyone by storm over here! I hadn’t heard anyone even talking about it at all a couple of weeks back and then all of sudden a week or so before it came out everyone started talking about it, even my mother-in-law who I think has never actually gone to the movie theater in her life. It’s actually what made me come back to this forum.

How much do we think it’s ending up with OS?

• Like 1

The problem with Disney box office performances is entirely contextual . Disney movies recently especially have been produced with over ballooned budgets which means they will lose money unless it makes avatar level money . Hell their most recent Marvel tv show was produced for 250 million $ . 

disney needs to refocus on experiences more than nostalgia. Quality over quips. Efficiency over throwing money. And Kathleen kennedys time is up so is Kevin Feige 

Kathleen Kennedy incompetence wss hidden by lightning in a bottle movies sequences which have vanished and Feige has shown he doesn’t know what to do when movies don’t do well . Still waiting for a comeback success since final avengers. It’s been over 5 years and almost 2 phases and 2 of your best stars are gone and no one with charisma to replace them . His success was also due to the stars not his own 

Edited by hasanahmad
  • Like 1

Yeah, Marvels is clearly going to flop financially. Look at all the MCU movies that have flopped. It’s reasonable to think the next four or five will flop. 
It’s going to lose more than 60% of its ticket sales without including inflation. 
It’s really obvious. 
Also, Alabama football is going to go 2-10 this year. 
(Y’all need to find different words that describe a middle result.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 Underperformed, it did not Pass Vol. 2.

GOTG3 did pretty great considering the circumstances tbh. It came only $19M short of Vol. 2 WW coming off the worst received mcu movie, the brand name at an all time low, weak China market for Hollywood and no Russia. I think it even outgrossed Vol. 2 if you remove Russia from both films.

Domestic wise if only came up $30M short with a softer opening, mcu fatigue at its highest, weaker theatrical post covid marketplace, higher May competition and huge gap between sequels from all the Gunn drama/ COVID delays. Guardians 2 also had the benefit of the Baby Groot craze giving it attention and interest from the GA, the Disney ride opening near release and the Infinity Saga hype train going strong with mcu interest being at a way higher state. I think Vol. 3 did pretty great and came very close to Vol. 2 despite all of its circumstances

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

The problem with Disney box office performances is entirely contextual . Disney movies recently especially have been produced with over ballooned budgets which means they will lose money unless it makes avatar level money . Hell their most recent Marvel tv show was produced for 250 million $ . 

disney needs to refocus on experiences more than nostalgia. Quality over quips. Efficiency over throwing money. And Kathleen kennedys time is up so is Kevin Feige 

Kathleen Kennedy incompetence wss hidden by lightning movies which have vanished and Feige has shown he doesn’t know what to do when movies don’t do well . Still waiting for a comeback success since final avengers. It’s been over 5 years and almost 2 phases and 2 of your best stars are gone and no one with charisma to replace them . His success was also due to the stars not his own 

Disney Plus has been a drain. I remain excited for more product, but the dips in quality have been more common with the movies. 
That’s part of why I have optimism about the movies rebounding. Feige over the movies is good for me. Over both… not as much. 
Someone else as TV czar seems reasonable. 

Edited by Mr Terrific
  • Like 1

Personally I find the problem with Disney+ is they have nothing truly original that breaks out. They only put out star wars and marvel shows that people who are already fans of those things watch. Mandalorian is like the only show they've ever made that expanded beyond it's franchises existing fans.

• Like 1

Just now, Killimano3 said:

Personally I find the problem with Disney+ is they have nothing truly original that breaks out. They only put out star wars and marvel shows that people who are already fans of those things watch. Mandalorian is like the only show they've ever made that expanded beyond it's franchises existing fans.

It’s questionable if even those fans are still watching 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

Kathleen Kennedy incompetence wss hidden by lightning in a bottle movies sequences which have vanished and Feige has shown he doesn’t know what to do when movies don’t do well . Still waiting for a comeback success since final avengers. It’s been over 5 years and almost 2 phases and 2 of your best stars are gone and no one with charisma to replace them . His success was also due to the stars not his own 

and who exactly is gonna replace feige,what happened last time disney they tried to replace someone at the top

Guardians 3 had a very good run when alls said and done, but before those presale numbers started coming in I didn't see a single prediction for it that went under 400mil. So there's an argument for it underperforming relatively. Less so for Avatar 2 which had a lot of predictions that were a lot lower from where it ended up.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1