katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

51 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Nun 2 will be the next live-action movie to break 100m DOM, never underestimate the urge horror fans have to see a mid movie.

You can count me as one of the people who will be seeing it. I kind of despised the first one but this trailer has sold me on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

If Wish and Marvels round out Disneys parade of failures this year, it will officially signal that they are no long one of the top tier studios presently. More like back to early 00s days where they played second fiddle to most of the other big 6. 

No it means they had a bad year. Which every studio has on occasion..

And none of the studios is doing gangbusters. Barbie is making people forget Warners has had it share of failures this year.

People are way,way too quick to make sweeping jusgements.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

As someone who has read a lot about the history of movies, the idea that people went to the movies primarily for the AC is simply false. 

Also ignores that most of the big movies were released around the Holiday season.. big summer releases did not happen until the 1970's.

Jaws officially ushered in the summer season. It was the first gigantic summer blockbuster in the history of movies.

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still get the feeling Nolan low key hates the connection and Barbenheimer thing, even as it’s proven that it helped his movie immensely. It seems very him to scoff at something like that and think it’s the stupidest thing ever. 

That might be the case, but it’ll help his movie if he’s a good sport. 

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think Nolan can appreciate something that is well made, even if it is something he would probably never do.

Feminism and comedy aren’t exactly things Nolan seems super adept at in his filmmaking… I wouldn’t even be surprised if he doesn’t “get” Barbie as a film either. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Disney wants to forget about it too. Only fans want to believe that dom saved it but what saving? No one invests 250M before P&A for paltry under 600M worldwide gross. They expected Aladdin at least. What they got is a movie that will be clobbered by a 3 hours long talky about an atomic bomb that was made for about half of its budget. Industry knows it misfired. Only fans don't want to accept it. 

Speaking of which. Is Guardians still the only 200+ budgeted film to make a profit

Not directly related to movie box office, but Secret Invasion was another massive flop for Disney in terms of viewership & reception. This kind of shaky year for Disney is far more interesting than the boring omni-success of 2019. A proper roller coaster ride.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Feminism and comedy aren’t exactly things Nolan seems super adept at in his filmmaking… I wouldn’t even be surprised if he doesn’t “get” Barbie as a film either. 

He loves Macgruber and has been seen going to feminist rallies. Also, his movies are funny.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The man loves all kinds of movies. Here's a quote from him about La La Land: “I went back to see that (La La Land) a couple of times. I enjoyed that tremendously. I saw that three times myself.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And none of the studios is doing gangbusters. Barbie is making people forget Warners has had it share of failures this year.

This idea that Disney will lose its top tier status is just stupid. One bad year doesn't mean they're doomed to become like Lionsgate or MGM or go bankrupt.

I think the debate about which run is more impressive whether you talk about Gone With the Wind or Dr Zhivago or ET or Titanic or name any other movie you want to talk about. In my opinion it's all a matter of opinion as to which one is more impressive.

Every era of films have their positives and their drawbacks. The further back in time you go it seems like a film's run would be longer and longer. I'm sure air conditioning was sometimes a factor in Summer films but as others have mentioned summer Blockbusters didn't start until the seventies. Most distributors stayed away from the summer because they always felt that people had other things to do instead of watching films.

Titanic's run was basically the last Blockbuster before DVDs and blu-rays exploded onto the scene. Yes there was VHS but once you had more options more and more people would wait for the release on those mediums.

Films that came out in the '80s would often play for a year at a time. Because I'm an 80s kid I specifically remember the newspapers having an advertisement for Rocky 3 for example. And I remember one time it said "Rocky 3 in it's 11th glorious month."

There's all kinds of mitigating factors to consider when you start talking about what's more impressive or why they sold so many tickets and so on. The debate will never end of course so in my opinion I just think I look at films from different eras that did amazing things the box office and I just admire them all. Will gone with the wind ever be surpassed in terms of tickets sold? I highly doubt it. That film was just a freak of nature. I don't know how many tickets have been sold but I know it's more than Titanic I know it's more than Avatar and I don't know if that'll ever be surpassed.

ET, even though it's one of my favorite films and in resonated with me in a huge way, I'm still flabbergasted at the run that it had especially domestically. Just like Titanic there were people seeing ET 10 - 12 - 15 times (I was one of them).

I'm not sure where we're going to go after a film like barbie. It's going to end with way more than I ever thought it would. It looks like it's heading to at least 600 million and probably more but then after that I don't know what's going to take the box office by storm.

Some have mentioned that if there was a Harry Potter Reunion where the three leads got back together that could be a massive money maker and of course if they can get Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans and the rest of the gang back for another Avengers movie that of course would be massive.

I guess my original point to this was I think it's just better to appreciate the run of all of these movies instead of trying to figure out the minutiae of the box office runs themselves.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The man loves all kinds of movies. Here's a quote from him about La La Land: “I went back to see that (La La Land) a couple of times. I enjoyed that tremendously. I saw that three times myself.”

Nolan needs to make a musical to proves he likes musicals!! 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Interest is one thing, sustaining is another. If it was being released by local distributors then maybe it would have a chance to do well but I think they missed an opportunity by not releasing it a lot sooner. 

It wouldn't be the first time a film hugely successful in the States goes under the radar elsewhere.

Yes you're definitely right about that. There's lots of films that do well in one region and don't do anything in another. I just think it's a topic that does resonate with a lot of people and it will develop interest in other markets. But only time will tell.

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Well LLL is not the kind of movie I was talking about though haha. Cillian did say he likes Barbenheimer, and him and Nolan are husbands who don’t sleep together at the very least. So maybe it does have Nolan’s approval! 

9 minutes ago, Marathon said:

Not directly related to movie box office, but Secret Invasion was another massive flop for Disney in terms of viewership & reception. This kind of shaky year for Disney is far more interesting than the boring omni-success of 2019. A proper roller coaster ride.

Was it, though? Everyone was talking about it. Every week. Like, sure, reception wasn't amazing, but in the meantime, shows like What We Do In The Shadows, which keeps getting renewed, had pre-release review articles, but nothing else, and that show has been going for four weeks.

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You don’t go from the dominance of the 10s to this kind of floppage and say “bad year!” It’s clearly a signal that there has been a big shift in their status in the industry.