setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This Thursday drop for Ninja Turtles is sad but not surprising. Weekend sales are kind of dreadful here (worse than Haunted Mansion anecdotally). There was a fanboy rush on Monday/Tuesday and it's petering out.

I think Meg 2 is going to have a bigger effect.

19 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

They could have avoided that with better scheduling.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

You are concentrating on MI7, but really, even with a better release date, what would the best case scenario have been? A 10% increase on Fallout DOM (OS still would have taken a hit due to China just being down overall on Hollywood). Even if MI7 made another 100 million DOM and finished round 700 WW, it still wouldn't have made THAT much a difference. MI7 was just too expensive and unless it made 1.5 billion, it was always going to end up being a fairly shit year for them. It's just that the optics are even worse now for MI7.

It goes beyond DR1, though. ROTB is also an expensive mess - though it did far better than a lot feared, and showed that there's still room for that franchise to come back, it's still not good 200 million budget to barely break 400 isn't a good investment.

D&D - as good as it may have been - is one of the year's biggest flops. People are mostly overlooking it atm because of the bigger disasters like Flash and Indy, but it's still a movie that cost 150 million+ that barely broke 200 WW. Scheduling would not have fixed any of that.

Scream 6 did alright and TMNT looks set to also do well, especially given the budget. 

Moving MI7 to later on would have meant a couple hundred million more, and would have plugged the hole in their schedule that will undoubtedly make things looks even worse. However, at the end of the day, it would never have made TGM numbers, and it still would have been a bad year because of the Dungeons & Dragons and Transformers results.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

They could have avoided that with better scheduling.

Mid-April like a lot of the Fast/Furious films did would have been a good pick for MI7. It wouldn’t have been too hampered by Mario, and could have gotten at least two weeks of IMAX and premium screens before Guardians.

That said, hindsight is 20/20.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Incarnadine said:

That was a bad one, but it had a budget of just $5m.

When I think of a contender for all time bomb I think of Pluto Nash. Big star, $100m budget (back in 2002!) and a truly epic fail at the boxoffice.

If we're talking bombs I always remember how John Carter and Battleship ended Taylor Kitsch's dream of being a big movie star in the span of a month.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

If we're talking bombs I always remember how John Carter and Battleship ended Taylor Kitsch's dream of being a big movie star in the span of a month.

Battleship was such a puzzling idea (and even worse execution) for a movie, following Transformers. I would not be surprised if 90% of the 20 other Mattel projects following Barbie end up similarly bad and unsuccessful.

John Carter is a movie I enjoyed overall, but again, loads of bad decisions with that one, starting with having a first time live action director doing it, the casting, the huge reshoots and obviously the terrible name. Honestly, Disney is a bit of a train wreck this year, but everything around John Carter makes 2023 seems successful.

20 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Battleship wasn’t good but it was the most fun I had at the movies that month