Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

Are we really having a discussion about nostalgia for Shia in Transformers? When the human characters are CONSTANTLY mentioned as being by far the biggest issue? Or Fox? When they literally recast her with a fresh pair of T&A and no one batted an eye? Or when the 4th one made basically the same as the third, with a new cast? 

If Oppenheimer lands at number 2 for the weekend, I think it will tie the record for most weeks of a two movies locked as one and two.

The other examples I found are both during the Titanic run, with Tomorrow Never Dies and The Wedding Singer each taking runs of 3 weeks at number 2.

If Oppenheimer gets it this weekend, it could set the record next week.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

First of all, Bumblebee was not a flop.

Second, I feel like everyone that says something like this forgot why they started rebooting in the first place - audiences were clearly done with Bayformers.

Transformers 3 performed quite well. Making 1.1 billion in 2011 is a big deal vs now lol

It was more Tf4 and 5 sort of blew up the brand badly. 

• Like 1

yeah i don't think there is nostalgia effect for Shia or Megan Fox. Nostalgia effect is now too much overrated, "no one" cared about big pieces like Keaton Batman or Ford Indiana. 

I think the transformers were popular for a specific directing style in a precise moment for blockbusters and that's all. I don't think most people remember the name of these characters or have this  affection for them after 20 years like it's the Back to the future saga or Harry Potter.  

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Sub 50% drop for the weekend then! I would’ve liked it to pass $30m, which looks a bit unlikely. 

It's looking at a 6m weekend and 22m cume. 25+ going into next weekend. It'll pass 30m easily.

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

it's a very different genre from avengers. Summer 2012 was full of others action blockbusters.

2 other cinecomics (spider man and Batman came in the same summer). Barbie is a comedy, very strong on the female audience (a new barbie it's not coming next week...or next month).

You need to wait to know how long legs can be.

wonder woman was very strong on the female audience, idea that barbie will make more than 50 percent more than ww is very optimistic for me, but you are right we have to wait to know how long legs can be.

9 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

wonder woman was very strong on the female audience, idea that barbie will make more than 50 percent more than ww is very optimistic for me, but you are right we have to wait to know how long legs can be.

While I agree we still have a way to go to see it reach Avengers or JW, the demo has been skewing more and more heavily female after OW. Way more than WW, let alone typical CBMs. It was up to 70% female last weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's higher this weekend.

Edited by reddevil19

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Awesome Let Them Fight GIF by Legendary Entertainment

Hopefully they kill each other.

I missed what the allegations were against LaBeouf and he has owned up to things and apologized but man these are crazy

With allegations ranging from violent attacks to strangulation, FKA Twigs accused LaBeouf of knowingly infecting her with an STD, and shooting stray dogs with a gun to get into character for his film 'The Tax Collector'. "I hurt that woman," LaBeouf said, although he did not call her by name on the podcast

Just now, WorkingonaName said:

Transformers 4 had robot dinosaurs in it, would have made Jurassic World numbers if good. 

Transformers 4 has a lot of first act setup with no third act payoffs. The robot dinosaurs at the end have nothing to do with the ones at the start of the movie (the entire prologue has no bearing on the rest of the movie), and they set up the Seed bomb as the way to kill the indestructible robot bounty hunter and that literally never comes into play, instead Optimus just kills him by believing harder.

It's literally 3 different movies stitched together.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

your analysis imo is too focused on weekends and weekdays are just "weekdays". This week barbie made mon-thu 55M dollar, avengers made 29M. The difference is very big even if weekends are then 5% lower.

Avengers made on third week weekdays 19M. Barbie could make more than that  for the next 2 weeks.

Avengers not only is a different genre but was released at the very first of may when weekends are bigger and weekdays slower. And still barbie weekends are very slightly lower with weekdays the double bigger. 

Even if summer came for Avengers too and its weekdays it was after 2 months of release so it's different when you have it from week 1. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Optimus just kills him by believing harder

Tbf that's just his MO in all movies. He's like "Oh, no, I'm overmatched." in one scene and immediately the next he's "Gaaahhh, I will eat your face! DIE NOW!!!" and just brutally murders his adversary. Optimus tapping into his murderous psychopathic rage in order to win is the only consistent thing in the whole series.

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Tbf that's just his MO in all movies. He's like "Oh, no, I'm overmatched." in one scene and immediately the next he's "Gaaahhh, I will eat your face! DIE NOW!!!" and just brutally murders his adversary. Optimus tapping into his murderous psychopathic rage in order to win is the only consistent thing in the whole series.

I think it's in part 3 where Megatron helps him kill Spock and then says "Truce" and he immediately goes "DIE" and brutally rips out his spinal cord. I remember thinking "that feels unnecessarily violent" when watching that because it's not set up in the least.