Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

23 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Just came back from THE MEG 2 and all i wanted and expected was to see HUGE SHARKS.

What i got was a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.

At least in the first half, the second half of the movie was exactly the kind of silly nonsense i want. But the characters .... arrrghh ... and the script ... uuuffffff ....

5/10, not enough huge sharks to really please me, too much of them to make me really dislike this.

lmao this movie is screwed

25 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Just came back from THE MEG 2 and all i wanted and expected was to see HUGE SHARKS.

What i got was a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.

At least in the first half, the second half of the movie was exactly the kind of silly nonsense i want. But the characters .... arrrghh ... and the script ... uuuffffff ....

5/10, not enough huge sharks to really please me, too much of them to make me really dislike this.

If even you didn’t like it, yikes….

• Haha 3

https://deadline.com/2023/08/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-meg-2-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1235454860/

"The third weekend of Warner Bros’ Barbie at $51M (-45%) is higher than the opening of the Brad Pitt action movie, Bullet Train, which did $30M during the first weekend of August. It just goes to show how far we’ve come along at the box office. The Greta Gerwig directed take on the Mattel doll is eyeing a third Friday of $16M at 4,178 theaters, -45% from a week ago. Running total by Sunday will be $457.4M.

Universal’s Oppenheimer will hold on to third place at 3,612 theaters with a $7.8M third Friday (-42%), and third weekend of $27M, -42%, sending its running total by Sunday to $226.8M."

Third at 3,858 theaters is Paramount/Nickelodeon/Point Grey’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem with a first Friday of $8.5M, 3-day of $27M, and 5-day of $42M, well ahead of its $30M-$40M expectations. Rotten Tomatoes audience score is 94% to go along with that A CinemaScore.

Warner Bros The Meg 2: The Trench at 3,503 theaters is a seeing an $11M Friday, including previews, and a $25M opening — robust for the marketplace. Audiences are so-so on it so far at 66% on Rotten Tomatoes. That’s better than the 43% the first movie notched with RT crowds.

Disney’s second weekend of The Haunted Mansion at 3,740 is seeing a second estimated Friday of $2.8M,-72%, second weekend of $9.5M -60%, for a running total of $42.5M."

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Yeah, the WOM has been great and this should be another $150m+ animation. Poor Elemental, the great hold suddenly collapse facing TMNT. Making me wonder just how vulnerable the animation has become when face up against competition in this marketplace. Why can't both doing great?

There's just too many movies being released each week for Elemental to keep a good number of theatres. But its done well enough DOM regardless, OS will take it the rest of the way

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

If even you didn’t like it, yikes….

What makes me sad is that the recipe is right there in the movie for a really fun time - but they just dont commit to it. It gets a lot better in the second half, but man, sitting through the first hour was PAIN.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Bratz seem like something that were popular for like 3 years in the 00s. Good luck to them making try nostalgia appeal out of that niche. 

Barbie shows there is a late 90s early 2000s female audience that grew up with movies like mean girls or clueless and they have a nostalgia for this genre. So It's smart to make something new for them again.

As you said it's not Barbie, something very multigenerational but you can make a successfull girly - silly 50M budgeted movie. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Lol at Opp pacing for like 50% of Barbie weekend again. This parallel between them is wild. 

Best box office lovestory since Jurassic World / Inside Out.

• Like 3

https://deadline.com/2023/08/barbie-oppenheimer-july-box-office-record-1235452876/

July Domestic Box Office On Fire With $1.37 Billion, Second Best Ever

Not streaming, nor strikes, nor shell shock from the pandemic kept this July’s domestic box office down with studio tentpoles and a faith-based surprise movie racking up the second-best record for the month with $1.37 billion per Comscore.

The record July still belongs to 2011 which cashed in $1.39 billion. Get this, Warners also led that month as well with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 which made $318.5M of its $381M gross during July back then.

This July was so great, it was +20% over last July’s $1.14 billion and +6% from pre-pandemic 2019 which minted $1.29 billion.

I thought the consensus is July 2023 is the fourth biggest ever at $1.36bn? How did Comscore mint another $10m and allow July 2023 to leap ahead of 2013 and 2016? It is hard to believe the remaining unreported gross can contribute extra $10m to July BO. 

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Best box office lovestory since Jurassic World / Inside Out.

A much better story because while the totals worldwide will probably be similar, these two opened on the same weekend. Consider that there's a chance that two of the top 3 worldwide of the year could end up being movies that released together and combined for two and a half billion... Oppie needs to continue holding strong and have Korea deliver and China be more than a non-factor to pass GOTG3 and then have nothing else match that the rest of the year but still, there's a decent chance right now.

• Like 2