Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

I don't think I've ever seen the worst Best picture winner than Shakespeare in love. It's another fine example of Harvey Weinstein buying a Best picture winner

And if we can talk Oscar snubs not just Best picture winners, Spielberg being snubbed for Jaws is probably the all-time greatest academy middle finger, but really close behind at least in my opinion is Val Kilmer not being nominated for doc Holliday in 1993. Tommy Lee Jones was definitely a deserving winner that year but to not even have doc Holliday's performance nominated is an absolute freaking joke.

• Like 3

I'm much more confident in Nolan winning Best Director than Oppenheimer winning Best Picture but a combination of an R rated biopic with an all star cast being critically acclaimed and making blockbuster money is very rare. Might be enough to push it above films with similar acclaim.

• Like 2

So, took the 7 to TMNT last night...

It was a good movie.  Kids all loved it, spouse loved it - just like DnD, I'm probably the one who liked it the least, but unlike that movie, I liked this one and gave it a B/B-.  Kids and spouse were all in the A/A-/B+ range.

Crowd was hyped after and spilling out all talking about the movie.  I was amused at the groups of males 20s, 30s, and 40s - this definitely hit a nostalgia button, and not just a family one.  

I now see why Haunted Mansion could be dropped from both my locals in 2 weeks - between TMNT and Barbie, they didn't need another mid-kid-age family drawing movie with schools starting in 12 days...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

Outside of social media bubble it's not, it's A+ Cinemascore and 8.2 imdb movie, it's a beloved film for general audience.

Oscar are not voted by general audience.

Barbie has an A cinemascore too and 80 on metacritic and incredible long legs. Where Is divisive?. If you mean there are people really hating It for their personal political Bias that's true for green book too. No One of them is a movie very loved by everyone without any particolar "hating team" like for example Parasite or I would Say Coda.

Edited by vale9001

2 hours ago, baumer said:

I don't think I've ever seen the worst Best picture winner than Shakespeare in love. It's another fine example of Harvey Weinstein buying a Best picture winner

Shakespeare in Love is an excellent movie. Great, great script. So clever and funny.

My tween self was so so so happy when that won, cause I loathed Saving Private Ryan.  

Harvey’s association with it actually makes me really sad, because I wished it wasn’t stained like that.

2 hours ago, baumer said:

but really close behind at least in my opinion is Val Kilmer not being nominated for doc Holliday in 1993. Tommy Lee Jones was definitely a deserving winner that year but to not even have doc Holliday's performance nominated is an absolute freaking joke.

Hard no. I just watched this movie last night for the 1993 list, and I spent the entire time wondering how the hell he got an Academy award for this performance. He’s playing the same character that he plays in every single movie I’ve ever seen him in. He’s fine, but How the fuck did he beat out LEO and FINNES and MALKOVICH?!?!

It totally feels like a Gimmie.

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I'm much more confident in Nolan winning Best Director than Oppenheimer winning Best Picture

This feels like Nolan’s The Departed. He’s just gonna get it cause it’s his “time”. I don’t know if we’re going to ever get anything as funny as Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Francis Ford Coppola, randomly all showing up to announce who’s going to win Best Director, but it feels like we could get one of those moments again.

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

I will complain about Babylon not winning score on my deathbed. 

Preach, girl. Preach. 

6 minutes ago, Cap said:

This feels like Nolan’s Aviator. 

I agree...in that he won't win, nor will the movie, even though it will be up with 12-13 nods.

Also, I agree Shakespeare in Love is quite a good film, and definitely not one of the worst BP winners in my book. The issue is it won over a much more impactful, better overall film, so it made it feel worse. At least it's a perfectly watchable movie, unlike other winners (Crash, Nomadland immediately come to mind)

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 2

Any discussion of overrated Oscar winner that doesn't include The King's Speech or Crash or Around the World in 80 Days at the top of the list is BS.

And if you want to get into NOMINATED films, Doctor Dolittle is an easy win for "WTF why did this get picked"

@Cap I have never heard anybody say that Tommy Lee Jones is performance was just fine. You say that his performance was like everything else he's ever done, but that's because everything else came after the fugitive. I think his performance in The fugitive is one of the all-time great performances in the history of film. He had so many nuances so many great ways of delivering lines and he made me laugh quite often.

I just don't like Shakespeare in love. Even before it beat out saving Private Ryan I just didn't like it. I didn't like the script I didn't like Gwyneth Paltrow there was just nothing about the film that I enjoyed. It's such an overrated piece of dung LOL, now I haven't seen it probably since 1998 so maybe I'll give it a rewatch and I'll come back and let you know what I think.

But this just goes to show that even the most beloved actors and performances or an Oscar winner for best picture can be viewed by two different people and two completely different ways. 

• Like 2

All right I'm going to stand up for the king's speech. It's weird because usually I don't like that kind of movie so to speak. But that movie really resonated with me and I enjoyed the performances immensely and I thought it was a deserving best picture winner.

You know, we're about 3 weeks into Barbie's release, and the theater I go to is still busier than I had ever seen it pre-Barbie (and I saw Endgame there). I've gone there three times since Barbie released, and there's been a packed-to-the-gills parking lot and a ticket line out the door each time. I keep forgetting to show up earlier to wait in line (the theater shows very few trailers, with movies starting at most 5-10 minutes after the listed time, so I don't have much of a buffer if I show up on time).

This stretch of time could very well be among the busiest it's ever been, because the most popular theater in the area (a big Regal) closed down earlier this year, so its existing customers likely migrated to the two smaller regional chains in the area.

Oppenheimer and Barbie won't win best picture. It's a rule of the Oscars that once a film becomes a certain level of popular it must immediately be rejected from consideration. Gonna be some random 30m grosser that nobodys even heard of yet

• Knock It Off 1

The 4 winners so far in the 2020's have all been contemporary settings, all with either female directors, writers, minority casts, etc. AND I DON'T MEAN THIS AS A HOLLYWOOD IS WOKE, IT SUCKS BLAH BLAH, SO DON'T GET STARTED ON ME. I'm just stating the facts, as it's interesting to see if this is a more permanent switch in the Academy's direction or a reactionary one to modern social expectations, which will end up easing and allowing in more "classic" winners. I think Oppenheimer would get a lot of support from the old school members, but it would split that with KOTFM. I can't see a huge wave getting behind either of the two of them to the point where it gets swept to the win. I think Barbie is far likelier to be a winner than Oppenheimer if they go for a box office behemoth, because it will get broader support from everyone, even if it doesn't outright inspire adoration.

I still think we've likely not seen the winner yet (or it's been low key) and it will be something far closer to the previous 4 winners (maybe Past Lives, Saltburn, The Holdovers). However, The Colour Purple is probably the one movie that can best fall somewhere in the middle, between the classic style winners represented by KOTFM and Oppenheimer and the more modern expectations, but we saw how West Side Story turned out, so... who knows?

At the very least, with Barbie and Oppie racking up a lot of nods, it will be another awards season that casuals will at least have SOME interest in.

• Like 1