Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

Oppenheimer became the highest grossing film at Hollywood’s TCL Chinese Theatre in the venue’s 97-year history hiting $1.53M on Wednesday. That beats the previous record at the venue set by 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens which earned $1.51M after 15 weeks of release.

• Like 8

This is a very, very dissapointing 2nd weekend performance for Mutant Mayhem. And as an icing on the cake, the drop comparision is to the underrestimated 1st weekend because of the 5-day opening!

Edited by Jovan

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Would Demeter have done better if it was literally titled "Dracula on a boat"?

It still would have flopped but I have to imagine more people would go see called a movie called “Dracula” over one called “Demeter”. A movie with that title could be horror/mystery or swashbuckling adventure (like Pirates), or Master and Commander type movie, or historical fiction, or what time period it takes place in (since it references an ancient goddess). Must be one of the worst titles in recent history, marketing wise. 

3 hours ago, baumer said:

You've kind of lost me here. Why are we taking the grosses of two movies, combining them together, and putting it up against a single movie? I mean I know it's supposed to be for fun and everything but that seems pretty silly to me.

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Yeah I don’t really understand those posts. Maybe the first two weeks but we’re like a month out from the films coming out.

I wrote this when I first started posting it, but because of not only the shared release date but also the intertwined cultural relevancy, it’s fine to view Barbenheimer as a single entity rather than a combined total, like say TGM & JWD 

It’s mostly just for fun; I don’t think Mojo will be updating their all-time grossing charts accordingly 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

The legs on TMNT seem kinda underwhelming for an animated flick. I figured WOM would help but I guess not.

I'm surprised that not many people here are talking about this. 

It somehow managed to come well under Deadline's initial $17M projections! The legs could kick in in the upcoming weeks, but this is looking to be a bare break even at best (maybe even that'll be the struggle depending on overseas) at the moment. It's like the WOM is doing nothing for it...

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm surprised that not many people here are talking about this. 

It somehow managed to come well under Deadline's initial $17M projections! The legs could kick in in the upcoming weeks, but this is looking to be a bare break even at best (maybe even that'll be the struggle depending on overseas) at the moment. It's like the WOM is doing nothing for it...

I can only speculate, since the fantastic reviews and WOM would normally indicate a leggy run for this type of movie, but maybe there are two (negative) factors at play here: The previous TMNT movies had all in all a very mixed reception and in most cases, a new movie in a film series pays for the sins of its predecessor(s). It could be that less people than we thought are interested in this one, even though its animation makes it a standout look-wise.

The other reason could be that theres a much lower ceiling for an animated TMNT movie in comparison to something like Puss in Boots 2. Meaning, even though the WOM is great, there are only so many people right now who are willing to see the film in theaters.

• Like 1

The panicking about TMNT feels kinda premature, just seems like people got high off the kool-aid given the stellar reception and are getting whiplash from numbers that are solid but not remarkable. Friday was already above Deadline's number and I'd expect a better Saturday jump. It's got months until proper competition anyway and labor day weekend could give it a boost. It'll be fine I reckon.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

The legs on TMNT seem kinda underwhelming for an animated flick. I figured WOM would help but I guess not.

...it's only been out for just over a week. If it's not seeing good drops by week 4 or 5 then we'll talk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Oppenheimer became the highest grossing film at Hollywood’s TCL Chinese Theatre in the venue’s 97-year history hiting $1.53M on Wednesday. That beats the previous record at the venue set by 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens which earned $1.51M after 15 weeks of release.

Chinese Theater Info on Wikipedia

According to this Wikipedia article, the IMAX theater alone seats 932 people and has a screen that measures 94 feet by 46 feet. Tickets will run you $24.75 for any showing but you can score a buck or two discount if you are a senior, student or military member. A special 70mm IMAX projector was installed for Oppenheimer but normally there is a 4K laser projector for IMAX films. Needless to say, you're going to need a lot of luck to find anything but seats in the first two or three rows if you want a ticket. The film is only showing three times a day currently in IMAX but I'm sure a fourth or even fifth showing could be added and it would still sell at least 500 tickets for each. The film is also currently playing in one non-IMAX auditorium.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Would Demeter have done better if it was literally titled "Dracula on a boat"?

Right? That would be like making an Elvis Presley movie and entitling it peanut butter and banana sandwiches. If you're making a movie about Dracula you might want to have that in the title.

• Like 2