Issac Newton

Weekday #s | Aug 14-17 | Barbie #1 WB Domestic Film of ALL TIME, because it’s what she DESERVES.

26 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What ticket price are you using? Shouldn’t it be around 900m before you factor in IMAX inflation? Surely IMAX inflation wasn’t that much?

At any rate, I am still targeting 675 or so for Barbie. Not very confident in 700 anymore. Still pretty hopeful on over Jurassic World. Remember some PLF inflation there too though. I highly doubt it gets very close to TDK admits. I feel like 50-55m I’d think, and I thought TDK was widely agreed to be over 65 

TDK sold around 70 million tickets. The average price in 2022-2023 is supposedly $10.50, so that’s how I came up with $735M. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What ticket price are you using? Shouldn’t it be around 900m before you factor in IMAX inflation? Surely IMAX inflation wasn’t that much?

TDK's admission with like Oppenheimer ATP probably easily gets to $900M

Even using like a general 2023 ATP say $10.80 gets TDK close to $800M, the admission gap between TDK and Barbie should be pretty big.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

TDK sold around 70 million tickets. The average price in 2022-2023 is supposedly $10.50, so that’s how I came up with $735M. 

Would that be average price adjusted for lack of 3D/IMAX? I thought we were working with an easy $12 average now, and again Barbie did still have PLF. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, excel1 said:

TDK is most iconic film of the century. Barbie is merely a gigantic hit. TDK buzz alone > Barbenheimer collective. It was beyond immense. And then the film was beyond stunning electric high quality.

Nothing can or will change the fact that TDK = GOAT

f40f47ab-ce75-4f11-8f01-d9aa6ace14b4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Based on past record high Sunday and last year CD, the upper bound of the single day admission should be around 8m-8.5m patron and with $4, that should translate to $35m on Sunday alone.  

Presales start on Monday of that week for Cinema Day, should be very interesting to see tracking. I might buy a ticket to rewatch Barbie or TMNT and sit in the back row just to witness the chaos of a full showing. TMNT audience will be better behaved than Barbie for sure.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Would that be average price adjusted for lack of 3D/IMAX? I thought we were working with an easy $12 average now, and again Barbie did still have PLF. 

Average price includes everything. My number for TDK excludes the IMAX. The movie is listed at 74 million tickets on BOM, but I knock it down to 70 million to remove the IMAX boost.

TDK made $50M in IMAX. Remove $25M of the IMAX dollars and you get a total gross of $508M with a $7.18 average ticket price in 2008. Lands around 70-71 million tickets. There were no other PLF formats in 2008, so I think this 70M ticket number is pretty accurate for TDK

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Average price includes everything. My number for TDK excludes the IMAX. The movie is listed at 74 million tickets on BOM, but I knock it down to 70 million to remove the IMAX boost.

TDK made $50M in IMAX. Remove $25M of the IMAX dollars and you get a total gross of $508M with a $7.18 average ticket price in 2008. Lands around 70-71 million tickets. There were no other PLF formats in 2008, so I think this 70M ticket number is pretty accurate for TDK

Again, I thought we were working with an ATP of at least $12 these days? We haven’t gotten reliable updates since COVID, but I do remember seeing some confirmation it was already up to $11 well over a year ago. Inflation all around has been crazy for 2 years. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Again, I thought we were working with an ATP of at least $12 these days? We haven’t gotten reliable updates since COVID, but I do remember seeing some confirmation it was already up to $11 well over a year ago. Inflation all around has been crazy for 2 years. 

You could be right. The price is listed around $10.50 for the last several years on both The Numbers and Box Office Mojo.  

NATO list 2022 ATP as $10.58 for 2022, I'd assume 2023 ATP would be something like $10.80, but with the proliferation of PLFs, I think ticket price is drastically different from one film to another, depending on how much PLF and 3D helps the film.

It is hard to imagine any big budget movie with significant PLF has anything lower than $12 ATP these days, Barbie has reportedly $12.65 average ticket price and Oppenheimer at $13.65 for their opening weekends, might go down a bit over time though, Avatar 2 was like $14.5+

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-1235443828/

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Based on past record high Sunday and last year CD, the upper bound of the single day admission should be around 8m-8.5m patron and with $4, that should translate to $35m on Sunday alone.  

Last year's Cinema Day was on a holiday weekend and a Saturday, so the admissions for a regular Sunday might be lower. OTOH, the higher ticket prices can offset any losses in attendance--if any, because the marketplace has more depth than 2022, so that might boost demand. Theaters have experience with National Cinema Day now and won't be as unprepared. Looking forward to how it works out...

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

I wish studios would report ticket sales amounts. I'd much prefer that.

It's not the best publicity to admit that movies from many decades ago sold way more tickets than current movies. Reporting in current dollar gross with ticket price inflation has helped boost the Hollywood publicity machine through the decades. They will cling to that until people stop going to theaters entirely, lol

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

26 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's not the best publicity to admit that movies from many decades ago sold way more tickets than current movies. Reporting in current dollar gross with ticket price inflation has helped boost the Hollywood publicity machine through the decades. They will cling to that until people stop going to theaters entirely, lol

In most countries you get both numbers and the fact a movie makes a record in money, even if with less tickets, still make news so i don't think if you say how many tickets are sold people would Say "oh this 700M movie is not that big cause gone with the Wind sold more tickets 100 years ago".

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

In most countries you get both numbers and the fact a movie makes a record in money, even if with less tickets, still make news so i don't think if you say how many tickets are sold people would Say "oh this 700M movie is not that big cause gone with the Wind sold more tickets 100 years ago".

Clearly Hollywood feels it is necessary to stay away from reporting admission numbers in the domestic market, or they would have already provided the real data for us a long time ago. They believe there is an advantage in not reporting it, so we continue down that path.