kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

37 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Exactly. Trailers nowadays are so boring. They don't make em like they used to.

Some of my favorite superhero origin trailers

Spoiler

Edited by The GOAT

1 minute ago, Eric Reyes said:

Moderation

@El Gato this whole “we are never ever ever ever ever seeing Aquaman or Flash or Blue Beetle in a million years because DC movies are dead forever” schtick isn’t cute anymore. It’s not funny, never was funny, and frankly seems like you’re trying to troll.

If you continue this hyperbolic nonsense further, you will lead me no choice but to threadban you.

Of the 11 live action films DC has released since 2018 only 3 have grossed over 400M world wide (Aquaman, The Joker, The Batman). How is it trolling when the evidence backs up what I’m saying? DC’s brand image is in horrible shape, to the point of people actively avoiding their films now. 

Also didn’t WB  bench Hal (and any other Green Lantern) for the past 10 years because his film bombed? GL is one of their heavy hitters, if they did that to GL, imagine how the more obscure characters will fare (Blue Beetle, Shazam, Black Adam…etc). I mean look what WB did to Superman after the MOS/BVS/JL fiasco 

You may not like what I’m saying, but it’s being backed up by evidence. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, The GOAT said:

The Lead Actress of Blue Beetle has a major following in Brazil with 44M instagram followers. Anybody know if it'll breakout in Brazil?   

Where is Zatt when you need him?

It opened #1 on first day. The only market until now where i saw It happen. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, El Gato said:

GL is one of their heavy hitters, if they did that to GL, imagine how the more obscure characters will fare (Blue Beetle, Shazam, Black Adam…etc). 

Technically GL had a successful comics run in the 2000s because of Geoff Johns and that... was basically it. He was always more niche and even the John Stewart GL became more popular than Hal Jordan because of the animated series.

Honestly Geoff Johns is a major issue with DC's unappealing lineup of movies. He's the reason they got to Shazam, Black Adam etc. before characters and teams people actually know about like Teen Titans*, Harley & Ivy/Gotham City Sirens etc. because he wrote those characters. It's like if the MCU tried to push GotG, Inhumans and Eternals before Avengers because some Eternals/Inhumans comic writer was calling the shots on the movie side.

I see the same mistake being repeated in the Gunnverse too. Like who's gonna check out Swamp Thing and The Authority beyond a very tiny core fanbase?

*Blue Beetle would have fared much better onscreen if he had been introduced in a Teen Titans film and then gotten his solo ala Black Panther/Holland Spidey getting launched by Civil War.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 12

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Technically GL had a successful comics run in the 2000s because of Geoff Johns and that... was basically it. He was always more niche and even the John Stewart GL became more popular than Hal Jordan because of the animated series.

Honestly Geoff Johns is a major issue with DC's unappealing lineup of movies. He's the reason they got to Shazam, Black Adam etc. before characters and teams people actually know about like Teen Titans, Harley & Ivy/Gotham City Sirens etc. because he wrote those characters. It's like if the MCU tried to push GotG, Inhumans and Eternals before Avengers because some Eternals/Inhumans comic writer was calling the shots on the movie side.

I see the same mistake being repeated in the Gunnverse too. Like who's gonna check out Swamp Thing and The Authority beyond a very tiny core fanbase?

Drag it.

This is why I'll always drop to my knees for you. ❤️

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

I do think it's also safe to say that superhero fatigue's here and it's safe to say The Marvels (unless it has GoTG 3-tier WOM) and Aquaman 2 are pretty much guaranteed to drop hard from their billion dollar predecessors. 

This might ruffle some feathers, but I'm not even sure if Deadpool 3 is safe from underperforming. It really does feel like even the hardcore fans are sick of the whole entire genre at this point.

• Like 7

Just now, Eric Reyes said:

This might ruffle some feathers, but I'm not even sure if Deadpool 3 is safe from underperforming. It really does feel like even the hardcore fans are sick of the whole entire genre at this point.

If GoTG 3 with the same director almost opened to under 100 pre-reviews, then yeah I don't think anyone should really blanketly assume Deadpool 3'll make money if it ends up not getting a good reception. I'm already seeing...signs on the usual social media spots of people getting tired of multiverse cameofests. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Gato said:

Of the 11 live action films DC has released since 2018 only 3 have grossed over 400M world wide (Aquaman, The Joker, The Batman). How is it trolling when the evidence backs up what I’m saying? DC’s brand image is in horrible shape, to the point of people actively avoiding their films now. 

Also didn’t WB  bench Hal (and any other Green Lantern) for the past 10 years because his film bombed? GL is one of their heavy hitters, if they did that to GL, imagine how the more obscure characters will fare (Blue Beetle, Shazam, Black Adam…etc). I mean look what WB did to Superman after the MOS/BVS/JL fiasco 

You may not like what I’m saying, but it’s being backed up by evidence. 

But Aquaman's huge? Come on. DC as a brand is definitely damaged now but the same argument could've been made with a lot of Marvel's characters too. The issue is everything around them, not them intrinsically. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Honestly Geoff Johns is a major issue with DC's unappealing lineup of movies. He's the reason they got to Shazam, Black Adam etc. before characters and teams people actually know about like Teen Titans*, Harley & Ivy/Gotham City Sirens etc. because he wrote those characters. It's like if the MCU tried to push GotG, Inhumans and Eternals before Avengers because some Eternals/Inhumans comic writer was calling the shots on the movie side.

*Blue Beetle would have fared much better onscreen if he had been introduced in a Teen Titans film and then gotten his solo ala Black Panther/Holland Spidey getting launched by Civil War.

I meant that the GL franchise is considered one of DC most important franchises, usually depicted alongside the Trinity and Flash as a part of the Big 5! After his film flopped, they stopped pushing GL in outside media (all of them). I’m afraid that’ll happen again with all the characters I mentioned above. 

And yes I agree, Jaime should have been introduced in a Teen Titans film first before being spun off into a solo film. That’s how you build up your obscure characters! But hey, Jaime is continuing into the DCU and the character is no longer obscure, so that’s a plus. Maybe he’ll get another film in the distant future if Xolo really becomes a star and audiences enjoy his future appearances in the DCU…

Gunn has his work cut out for him as superhero fatigue is a real thing and shouldn’t be taken lightly