filmlover

SAG Awards 2023 Nominations

I never understood why Bradley Cooper is considered a frontrunner since he didn't get a lot of critics win. But I guess he was always suppose to be an industry player. SAG would probably be his biggest chance?

Just now, eeetooki said:

I never understood why Bradley Cooper is considered a frontrunner since he didn't get a lot of critics win. But I guess he was always suppose to be an industry player. SAG would probably be his biggest chance?

The industry was always going to gravitate more towards his (and Mulligan's, for that matter) biopic performance and movie than critics groups ever were. 

I think Cooper is probably third. Murphy is the favourite and Giamatti is the spoiler. A lot of journalists consider Cooper the frontrunner because it's the most on paper Oscar role. Plus there's a notion among Oscar pundits that Bradley Cooper is 'overdue' for the award but I don't think that's actually a widespread belief.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think Cooper is probably third. Murphy is the favourite and Giamatti is the spoiler. A lot of journalists consider Cooper the frontrunner because it's the most on paper Oscar role. Plus there's a notion among Oscar pundits that Bradley Cooper is 'overdue' for the award but I don't think that's actually a widespread belief.

At this point I think the "desperate" narrative is more widespread than the "overdue" narrative.

• Like 1

I think SAG has always been the most Netflix-friendly out of all the big guilds , which means May-December the only good Netflix movie in contention is truly dead and buried. Maestro was always a given here, but Nyad and Rustin got in too? They gobbled up all the transparent bait they could find once more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joel M said:

I think SAG has always been the most Netflix-friendly out of all the big guilds , which means May-December the only good Netflix movie in contention is truly dead and buried. Maestro was always a given here, but Nyad and Rustin got in too? They gobbled up all the transparent bait they could find once more.

Has anyone actually seen Nyad or Rustin? :lol: Not a diss towards them, just feels like those two are the closest things to embodying the "this movie isn't real" meme this season even though I'm a big fan of their stars.

15 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

I know the media narrative, but in reality Cooper is not any more overdue than Giamatti or Murphy. Those 2 guys have been great actors for a long time with zero Oscars to show for it. 

17 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I know the media narrative, but in reality Cooper is not any more overdue than Giamatti or Murphy. Those 2 guys have been great actors for a long time with zero Oscars to show for it. 

A Star Is Born is really the only movie people think he deserved an Oscar for and people are acting like he's Leo who's been churning out great movies for years.

• Haha 1

@Eric Web we moving this to the main section tonight for a live feed thread or giving a quiet weekend thread some life for a Saturday night?

I admit I'm more curious about the TV side of things (are Succession/The Bear/Beef just going to sweep all the winter awards this year or will SAG shake things up a bit like they do from time to time?) since the movie awards seem set in stone at this point.

Winners so far (no movie awards yet):

Actor Comedy Series: Jeremy Allen White, The Bear

Actress Limited Series: Ali Wong, Beef

Actress Comedy Series: Ayo Edebiri, The Bear

Actor Drama Series: Pedro Pascal, The Last of Us (!)

Steven Yeun wins Limited Actor for Beef.

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I understand why The Bear is winning so many TV awards, but man, comedy never gets a fair shake.

Get ready for when it wins everything again next year because the Comedy categories are going to be barren, at least for the Emmys (which will feel the impact of the strikes). There's going to be a lot of filler nominees across the Drama categories too.