BadOlCatSylvester

September 15th-17th of 2023 Weekend Thread | $1.2M previews for A Haunting in Venice

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Barbie & Oppenheimer multipliers currently:

Barbie 3.8644x

Oppenheimer 3.8643x 

The symbiotic relationship they’ve had DOM is just wild. 

Truly may not ever be anything like it again for two movies released the same day. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Rainy said:

Do we think there’s a chance we get another Poirot film? Has Branagh said anything? Or do you think the BO will prevent another?

just saw the film and it was great tbh

Yeah, I think so. If this one experiences the same sort of holds as the previous film then it will wind up with a nearly identical WW gross. Plus the previous one was a major hit on Hulu, which supposedly factored pretty heavily into the decision to make this one. The next few weeks will ultimately determine its fate, but yeah I think there's a decent chance we get a fourth.

i really want to see barbie in 4dx this week since i never have done 4dx and cant imagine how a barbie seat shaking experience would be.. sadly regal only and im an a-list girlie

i will try seeing in imax next week after expendables even though the amc lincoln square doesnt appear to be screening it

6 hours ago, Eric Poirot said:

Expend4bles will be a fun little megabomb next week. That's a case where even surpassing the first film's 35M opening weekend seems like a tall order. You don't see stuff like that every day.

Yet another in a long line of movies this year that no one ever wanted. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it fails to reach that $35M worldwide.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

It feels like Lionsgate is leaving both Expendables 4 and Saw X to die back to back. Classic examples of franchises that are definitely past their expiration dates.

I read on Twitter that Lionsgates marketing plan for Expendables 4 was a big push with cast interviews and they can't do that anymore.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pieman said:

What will be number one next week?

If Expend4bles doesn’t deliver I could see A Haunting in Venice get another chance with good WOM.

What are you expecting for Expend4bles? It would need to open below 9M to give a chance for A Haunting in Venice. Very unprobable.

Let's say:
Expend4bles 12M

A Haunting in Venice 9M

Nun2 8.5M

Barbie 6M

Equaliz3r 5M

It Lives Inside 4M

16 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I think the data from the past 2 years is enough to declare that horror genre is no longer a frontloaded genre at the BO like how people assume.

Yeah, this seems to be true in many cases, though we still get films like Insidious 5 that don’t make 2x OWeek, like there’s more selectivity, a wait and see WOM approach 

3 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

As i understand Insidious 5 has final result 2,5 to OW

It’s better to use the first week as the denominator, to balance the different seasonal business patterns, like Summer movies having higher weekdays, lower weekends

Insidious 5 was 1.82x, compared to Black Phone 2.57x or even M3GAN’s 2.47x

• Like 2

18 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I think the data from the past 2 years is enough to declare that horror genre is no longer a frontloaded genre at the BO like how people assume.

Think there are two factors here:

Some of the super frontloaded instances (Friday 13th remake being the most obvious, the Halloween trilogy being another) are of long standing franchises with an audience that either fully KNOWS that they are fans or that KNOWS that they have no interest in seeing the film.

Another I think are legacies of the 'The Devil Inside' era of production companies perfecting the horror movie trailer at the expense of the actual horror movie. I think there were a few instances, of which that was the most obvious, where supercool trailers combined with copout 'lol, we got you in the theatre and made our money - what you gonna do about it' narratives and endings really stung audiences for a while with horror films, especially anything that seemed found-footage or possession aligned.

I think both of those dynamics have largely dried up and/or have reached their end and that's why we've seen a relative end to the frontloading.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

Total gross, not second weekend, right? So like ~$2.4M

$678,976 SUN (748 TC) down from $775K Projected SUN

2nd WKend - $2.401M (SUN $678,976 | SAT $1,028,634 | FRI $693,882)

Deadline has $694,724 FRI & $1.024M SAT

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

‘Nun 2’ Scares Off Poirot To Become Mother Superior Of Box Office With $14.5M Second Weekend – Update

MONDAY AM: It wasn’t a tie as many had Nun 2 and A Haunting in Venice far apart at the box office yesterday, but the New Line horror pic’s second weekend really did win in the end with a $14.5M take, -56%, to the Kenneth Branagh pic’s opening of $14.3M.

Nun 2‘s domestic stands at $56.3M, putting the Conjuring universe of movies’ global box office at $742M stateside, $2.17 billion global.

Nun 2 ‘s Sunday was higher than Haunting‘s $3.95M to $3.4M.

Comscore called this past weekend at $62.4M, which is the second worst YTD.

Don’t expect any great miracles this weekend with Lionsgate/Millenium’s long-in-the-tooth, Expand4bles opening. The third film back in 2014 opened to $15.8M and finaled at $39.3M domestic.