BadOlCatSylvester

September 15th-17th of 2023 Weekend Thread | $1.2M previews for A Haunting in Venice

1 hour ago, Eric Poirot said:

https://deadline.com/2023/09/box-office-a-haunting-in-venice-1235547819/

This is hysterical. A film that is literally designed for stodgy grandmas and grandpas and nobody else, yet the youths are still the biggest audience. Old people are just never coming back to theaters ever again lmao

Again, I ask, why was this made?

Then what do you want? More marvel movies?

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

Then what do you want? More marvel movies?

Certainly not. I'm grateful a film like Haunting in Venice exists actually. And I would want more than anything for it to do well. Just confused by the business sense, since, sadly, tragically, its audience doesn't care about going to theaters anymore. Though if Nile and later this is super big on PVOD and it really will go into the black in the end, then I guess what do I know?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Not sure what's supposedly baffling about Haunting In Venice existing.

First one was successful. Second had everything against it and still churned out 140m and apparently good post-cinema life and the nature of whodunits and adaptations is that they will ALWAYS have a long shelf life and be thrown on TV station programming in the afternoon decades later. And it was being made for a lowered price tag. Murder mysteries are good to have in the portfolio and they tend to come with a pretty solid floor, especially in the long term. As evidenced by, despite the doomposting, it having an opening weekend better than the far more ostentations DOTN.

Oh and also....it's really good.

Plus loads of people would love that film just for the Venicecore of it.

Yeah, i’m excited to watch a murder mistery with gothic vibes (watching it in a few hours actually). 

For that alone i’ll never question it’s existence. There are far worse things being released and more expensive, the industry can afford a 60M Branagh movie doing 120-150M.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Eric Poirot said:

https://deadline.com/2023/09/box-office-a-haunting-in-venice-1235547819/

This is hysterical. A film that is literally designed for stodgy grandmas and grandpas and nobody else, yet the youths are still the biggest audience. Old people are just never coming back to theaters ever again lmao

Again, I ask, why was this made?

I really think the marketing of this movie was a horrible mistake that killed the interest of its target demo. Older audiences are typically turned off by horror movies. I know they wanted to attract a younger audience, and it appears to an extent that they did, but at the expense of their previous demographic. It's also absolutely crazy that the trailers don't make it immediately clear that this is a Poirot or Christie film. IMO, something to the effect of "Kenneth Branagh is Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot in <insert film title>" should appear at the top of every single poster and internet ad, just like they would for a Bond film, because the character and the author are the draw here, not some generic horror-sounding title with the faces of a bunch of actors audiences may or may not recognize.

Edited by Chrysaor
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Eric Poirot said:

Certainly not. I'm grateful a film like Haunting in Venice exists actually. And I would want more than anything for it to do well. Just confused by the business sense, since, sadly, tragically, its audience doesn't care about going to theaters anymore. Though if Nile and later this is super big on PVOD and it really will go into the black in the end, then I guess what do I know?

Studios have no way of knowing how a movie will do when they greenlight it. DOTN had lots of factors going against it yet still made $140m WW in an era when old people do not go to theaters. Greenlighting a 3rd sequel on a much lower budget was a sound decision imo, they had no way of knowing China would ditch Hollywood or that actors would be on strike when they greenlit it.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ugh, Barbie is gonna miss JW by like 10m after all isn’t it? JWs Labor Day expansion really did wonders for it. Was basically dead and then added almost another 20m.

Why "Ugh"?

This is a reason to celebrate!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Why "Ugh"?

This is a reason to celebrate!

Barbie is a much more impressive achievement and held way better overall up to the LD expansion for JW. It deserved a slot in the DOM top ten. It’s still holding way better, but JW had yet to have that big expansion at this point. Honestly the admissions between the two may still be extremely close. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ugh, Barbie is gonna miss JW by like 10m after all isn’t it? JWs Labor Day expansion really did wonders for it. Was basically dead and then added almost another 20m.

it's too soon to say, we dont know how much barbie will gain thanks to imax, and barbie also can have expansion around VD/oscars

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm here for any movie that gets comparisons to Dead Again, one of the most underrated films of the 1990s. That movie has kept the Kenny torch alive for my way past its deserved expiration.

Some stunning black and white photography in that, which is why Belfast looking as ugly as it does is more disappointing.

• ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1