BadOlCatSylvester

September 15th-17th of 2023 Weekend Thread | $1.2M previews for A Haunting in Venice

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

All those movies were movies that sold themselves. I can also sell The Liong King or Avengers 37. I don't need Disney for that. They are incapable of selling a movie that needs effort. They are trash that is destroying the industry and already crushed the existence of Fox. They are a disease. They are by far the worst and most incompetent of the big 5 because all they know how to do to sell a movie is a barrage of TV spots. The only worst studio is the one-that-shall-not-be-named. I straight up refuse to acknowledge them, that is how bad they are. It is offensive for their movies to do so. I think Disney might go down that path on September 29. Disney is unreedemable. Fuck Disney. Fuck Netflix. Fuck the studio that shall not be named.

You must be fun at parties. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, John Marston said:

Some John Travolta movie from 2003 that nobody remembers is tearing it up on Netflix. 

https://www.slashfilm.com/1392894/netflix-top-charts-john-travolta-basic/

8 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Netflix execs- We are in no hurry to end the strikes. People will watch Suits episodes and moldy old movies that bombed in the theater.

“Superintelligence”, a Melissa McCarthy Covid HBOMax movie is currently #1 on Netflix here in the UK too. 

13 minutes ago, Hilts said:

Same as the previous two.

Ah, well could've been better, could've been worse. A "B" is pretty solid for a horror film. What do we think, will this still leg out better than DotN regardless of Cinemascore since it doesn't have to contend with Omicron?

Edited by Chrysaor

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

It would be very, very hard to film Ackoryd and stay faithful to the novel. I can't tell you why without basically spoiling the novel but let's just say the major plot twist in the novle would be almost impossible to do on film.

Why? Other films like

Spoiler

Memento, The Others and The Sixth Sense

basically had the same twist or a variation of it.

Though I think these BO results mean the end of the Branaughstache but if they want something Direct to Hulu then I'd prefer Cards On The Table or The ABC Murders to be the next entry.

Edited by Spidey Freak

Disney will be ok. Pirates of the carribean 6 is coming. The Live action of Moana is coming. These are the movie everybody asked for.

Oh of course we're gonna get a new star wars movie exactly looking as the same tv series you get on disney plus. I'm so exctided about all these things!

🙄

Edited by vale9001
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CJohn said:

All those movies were movies that sold themselves. I can also sell The Liong King or Avengers 37. I don't need Disney for that. They are incapable of selling a movie that needs effort. They are trash that is destroying the industry and already crushed the existence of Fox. They are a disease. They are by far the worst and most incompetent of the big 5 because all they know how to do to sell a movie is a barrage of TV spots. The only worst studio is the one-that-shall-not-be-named. I straight up refuse to acknowledge them, that is how bad they are. It is offensive for their movies to do so. I think Disney might go down that path on September 29. Disney is unreedemable. Fuck Disney. Fuck Netflix. Fuck the studio that shall not be named.

Now I want to know.

Which is that other worst studio?

11 hours ago, CJohn said:

All these movies also both predate D+ and the Florida mess and a host of "1000 cuts" issues (hardball with theaters, rapid price increases across its products, Kang, etc).  

So, at some point, the question has to be - can Disney not sell these movies or has Disney just permanently lost some portion of audience for its movies that no other studio has?  A few here for one thing, a few there for another, and pretty soon, you have 25% of your previous "always there" audience just refusing to ever show up, and you can't point to one exact reason why b/c it was a 1000 reasons that all eventually added up.

Losing market share from the 30%s to the 20%s from one decade to the next is not a small loss of audience.  Yes, yes, you can say they had less popular and easy to sell product, but at the end of the day, is that all that market share loss is?

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

Hadn't really been following recently, looking at projected total gross for some of the later summer films now that the runs are winding down:

Barbie ~$645M (or more, depending on IMAX week)

Oppy ~$325M

Indy ~$175M

MI7 ~$173M

TMNT ~$120M

Satisfying Rose Mciver GIF by CBS

Some of y'all need to chill a bit with the doom and gloom after a "below expectations" opening and/or excitement in projecting forward

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

Yeah, we’re definitely in weak opening(s) = very good holds for holdovers not in week 2 territory, audiences playing catch-up

I actually kind of like these weekends. Everything is chill, films get to do a wee bit better than they could have otherwise. Life is good.

• Like 5