Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | TAYLOR SWIFT $31M Estimate, KOTFM $23M

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Finally looking at numbers, and Saturday was pretty weak across the board, much smaller increases than previous weekends ... wonder what was the cause and effect? Halloween activities? College Football? Weather?

And Super Mario Wonder. One of the busiest gaming weekends ever when it comes to behemoth releases. Seriously though, ShowEast has begun:

34 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

And Super Mario Wonder. One of the busiest gaming weekends ever when it comes to behemoth releases. Seriously though, ShowEast has begun:

I don't think those would much affect say Haunting in Venice, which had a +28% Sat after +53% and +56% the prior two weekends. Maybe show volume loss and/or losing business to KOTFM, but it's not like the latter had a strong Saturday either

Paw Patrol also went from +112% last Sat to +75% this week

• Like 2

Just now, M37 said:

I don't think those would much affect say Haunting in Venice, which had a +28% Sat after +53% and +56% the prior two weekends. Maybe show volume loss and/or losing business to KOTFM, but it's not like the latter had a strong Saturday either

I was joking lmao. It just coincided the announcement with the timing of your post.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Taylor89 said:

He couldn't promote the movie and did yall forget what happened with babylon last year? It had Brad Pitt and it bombed. KOTFM opening number is far from a flop.

Yeah Babylon opened to $3.6 million at Christmastime its total was $15.35 million. And that was with Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie promoting it, but there were terrible reviews. The only bright spot was a roughly 24/76 domestic/overseas split. An $80 million budget, which was widely mocked at the time but Paramount was also paying for it, not just distributing like with KotFM.

Air, initially a streaming movie, has a budget roughly the same or higher (estimates are $70-90 million) than Babylon's, but the difference in scale/lavishness between the two couldn't be more vast.

35 minutes ago, M37 said:

Could be a case of people trying to do fall/Halloween-themed activities. It’s probably the best weekend to get your shopping done, take the family on hay rides or to the local haunted house show. It’s not a huge factor per se, but that stuff likely puts movies on the back burner, especially since there isn’t some epic must-see thing out there that you have to slot into your day.

2 hours ago, Taylor89 said:

He couldn't promote the movie and did yall forget what happened with babylon last year? It had Brad Pitt and it bombed. KOTFM opening number is far from a flop.

I don't like Brad Pitt so I'm not defending his box office prowess (which I think is overrated) but he wasn't the lead of Babylon. They were clearly selling that film on the back of Margot Robbie and a supposedly hot new comer, Diego Calva. Giving Pitt credit or blame for Babylon's performance makes just as much sense as giving credit or blame to Robert Deniro for Flower Moon performance. 

3 minutes ago, Eric Mouse said:

Could be a case of people trying to do fall/Halloween-themed activities. It’s probably the best weekend to get your shopping done, take the family on hay rides or to the local haunted house show. It’s not a huge factor per se, but that stuff likely puts movies on the back burner, especially since there isn’t some epic must-see thing out there that you have to slot into your day.

That’s the way I’d lean too, just far more of a drop-off than seen even last year on this week, which is probably why it was a confluence of several factors rather than just one 

7 hours ago, NitroJL said:

LMAO the amount of excuses people are making for kotfm poor box office performance 🤣.

someone already said it so I'm just quoting, "It’s been destined for theatres since it was acquired. It got a wide release, marketing, Cannes, IMAX and no streaming date in sight. I don’t see why this should be treated as anything other than a conventional release. 

If there’s an air of streamerness to it it’s the film bros who have been pre-empting it not doing big numbers by saying it was made for streaming and Apple not caring how it does. In a funny way the spin resulted in people internalising that they could indeed just wait for streaming cos there’s nothing lost if it doesn’t do well."

Also, movie theaters don't give a crap about Apple or Paramount. They want/need butts in seats. Luckily, no other major releases were this week, but next week, I'm sure a lot of theaters are rethinking how many screens they're going to give KotFM. Locally, some showings had as few as 8 tickets sold.

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Also, movie theaters don't give a crap about Apple or Paramount. They want/need butts in seats. Luckily, no other major releases were this week, but next week, I'm sure a lot of theaters are rethinking how many screens they're going to give KotFM. Locally, some showings had as few as 8 tickets sold.

Oh they definitely are.

The 7 AMC’s by me all have KOTFM down to 2 showings a day by Friday already.

Just now, Valencia said:

Oh they definitely are.

The 7 AMC’s by me all have KOTFM down to 2 showings a day by Friday already.

My theaters had nine showings this weekend. Nine.

I can't help but wonder if the success, or lack thereof, of KotFM is making some theater owners rethink their support of films like this for the future. From a monetary standpoint, I mean.

20 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

My theaters had nine showings this weekend. Nine.

I can't help but wonder if the success, or lack thereof, of KotFM is making some theater owners rethink their support of films like this for the future. From a monetary standpoint, I mean.

I was just watching a video review of KotM and the person mentioned that basically most cinephiles will watch KotM while "normies" are completely uninterested. 

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

Napoleon will do more than Killers if it's not trashed. Trailer stats are a lot stronger and it's comfortably 2.5 hours.

Granted, it has a better release date for an adult drama, but I am not convinced Napoleon is headed for domestic gross over KOTFM. For one, Most (not all, just most) Americans know or care very little about world history so he's not exactly someone a lot of people are clamoring to know more about, especially given the weak trailer. If you're someone watching the trailer in a theater without the film's name being displayed on the video link, it's going to take a bit to realize the film is about Napoleon; and for some it won't be realized until his name appears on screen. I think people need to keep their expectations in check especially since DiCaprio is a far bigger draw than Phoenix.

3 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

I was just watching a video review of KotM and the person mentioned that basically most cinephiles will watch KotM while "normies" are completely uninterested. 

Speaking of "normies," I'm pushing back on the idea that "no one" is seeing this film because they know it'll be streaming soon.

Every commercial and piece of advertising for this film says it's theatrical and only in theaters. The idea that people are confused is laughable, because I would bet most "normies" have no idea this is an Apple film.

I think the movie just doesn't have at the moment an appeal outside of scorsese fans and cinephiles want to see something soon to talk about it on the internet, so it was frontloaded and the more casual audience of the saturdays and sundays was missing. There wasn't any  competition or social event very specific only in the last weekend. 

Edited by vale9001