XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Eternals is kinda lucky to have been released during COVID. Easy $300M DOM / $700M WW with good reception the way it was tracking, but then it flopped and COVID is used as the scapegoat. 

I can see Feige truly believing Eternals was Oscar worthy and blaming its failure entirely on Covid and thus foolishly storming ahead with the sequel. This guy needs supervision. 

7 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Apparently RPK added on his Patreon that She-Hulk is also getting a season 2.

This makes sense, it got a lot of publicity during its run, plus it actually got viewers. The problem was the budget, they really need to halve that somehow. I suspect not having her cousin in it would help with that, but they really need to figure out a way to have her She-Hulk appearance cost less.

12 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Oh please, X-Men was a staple of that time, and Hugh an even bigger one. Nostalgia sells, the interest for this is so huge that even just an ok quality will make at least 800M WW, mark my words.

With that said, I don’t think they’ll let this one just have an ok reception.

Just ok quality to make 800m? Guardians of the Galaxy 3 needed really good word of mouth to just go over that. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 made more than either Deadpool 2 and Logan worldwide. The Marvels will barely make it over 200m which nobody predicted a year ago. You have been called crazy to suggest it makes under 400m.

If it was easy to not let this one have an ok reception then why did they let Multiverse of Madness, Thor 4, Ant Man 3 and The Marvels have ok or worse reception.

Where’s the nostalgia? We saw Deadpool and Wolverine quite recently in their own movies.

Edited by Reed121
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

Just ok quality to make 800m? Guardians of the Galaxy 3 needed really good word of mouth to just go over that. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 made more than either Deadpool 2 and Logan worldwide. The Marvels will barely make it over 200m which nobody predicted a year ago. You have been called crazy to suggest it makes under 400m.

If it was easy to not let this one have an ok reception then why did they let Multiverse of Madness, Thor 4, Ant Man 3 and The Marvels have ok or worse reception.

Where’s the nostalgia? We saw Deadpool and Wolverine quite recently in their own movies.

Recently? It’s going to be 6 years since Deadpool 2, 7 years since Logan.

It’s going to open huge due to hype, so even if it only has a decent reception, it’s going to be a case similar to the last Doctor Strange, it’s going to open too big to collapse completely. 
Social media engagement is through the roof!
In something not at all scientific but more personal, even my father has randomly mentioned that they are putting Deadpool and Wolverine together and he never knows anything about movies before seeing a trailer. 

The hype is absolutely there and is very tangibly bigger than anything MCU since NWH. You can bet on however low you wish if you want at the moment, but I bet myself that you’ll be awfully wrong once it opens. We’ll just have to wait and see I guess.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

The hype is absolutely there and is very tangibly bigger than anything MCU since NWH. You can bet on however low you wish if you want at the moment, but I bet myself that you’ll be awfully wrong once it opens. We’ll just have to wait and see I guess.

If this was a third Fox Deadpool movie, in the same vein as the other two, I'd be inclined to agree with you, and say this is going to do very well.

But it's not. It's Disney's Deadpool. And it's being positioned very much as part of the ongoing catastrophe that is the MCU's overall multiverse storyline. 

I think the hype will last about as long as it takes for everyone to realise how much safer, corporate and 'Marvelish' this film is likely going to be.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

If this was a third Fox Deadpool movie, in the same vein as the other two, I'd be inclined to agree with you, and say this is going to do very well.

But it's not. It's Disney's Deadpool. And it's being positioned very much as part of the ongoing catastrophe that is the MCU's overall multiverse storyline. 

I don't know what exactly you think is gonna be drastically different from Deadpool 2 to 3. The writers are the same as the first two, the actor is the same, most of the cast is returning, everyone involved with the production from literally the day they announced the Fox acquisition has said it's still going to be just as R rated as the last two.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't know what exactly you think is gonna be drastically different from Deadpool 2 to 3. The writers are the same as the first two, the actor is the same, most of the cast is returning, everyone involved with the production from literally the day they announced the Fox acquisition has said it's still going to be just as R rated as the last two.

I feel like the people that say we are going to get the safe corporate Disney Deadpool  movie have never actually watched either of the first two movies. This whole narrative that they were so edgy and Hard R is so dam funny.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John Marston said:

so apparently Marvel still wants to make Eternals 2 and second seasons for She Hulk and Ms Marvel

burning-money.gif

Stubbornness and pride is going to the MCUs death. They can’t admit some of their projects were abject failures. 

13 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

At least it's exciting now.

We have no idea if Deadpool 3 will do under Morbius or 800M WW

Now that's what I call unpredictable

Let’s not get carried away. $700M is the floor. The Marvels is going to make ~$250M WW and that had zero interest 

Guaranteed that Reynolds will throw-in a last-minute joke about current superhero movie fatigue...and of course it has a strong chance of still being topical, since there's almost no other product in this genre emerging on the big screen before Deadpool, right?  The only other real question is...which Professor X will we be seeing?  Or will it be a new one?  🤩  (It's time, folks...)

26 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I feel like the people that say we are going to get the safe corporate Disney Deadpool  movie have never actually watched either of the first two movies. This whole narrative that they were so edgy and Hard R is so dam funny.  

Especially since it's not like Deadpool wasn't corporate under Fox. Sure its more violent, sweary, and meta than most superhero movies, and a bit on the slimmer budget side, but it's still very much a blockbuster. Both movies have a climax of him teaming up with the X-Men.

7 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Stubbornness and pride is going to the MCUs death. They can’t admit some of their projects were abject failures. 

Let’s not get carried away. $700M is the floor. The Marvels is going to make ~$250M WW and that had zero interest 

Yeah saying DP3 might make less than Moribus. Get the F out of here with that shit.

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Especially since it's not like Deadpool wasn't corporate under Fox. Sure its more violent, sweary, and meta than most superhero movies, and a bit on the slimmer budget side, but it's still very much a blockbuster. Both movies have a climax of him teaming up with the X-Men.

Yep it's like do some  people think FOX was  a indy company  like A-24 or something before Disney bought them out.

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Sam Raimi is rumored to be frontrunner to direct next 2 Avengers movies. I think he can do a great job but trying to fit things into MCU may not be optimal for him. He needs his own space to create the magic. That said if Tobey is back again then it would be cool to see Raimi direct Tobey again. 

Sam Raimi is one of the few choices who could actually move the needle. Unlike most of the Journeyman directors in the MCU, he has a distinct style and presence in the movie. Guardians 3, which is a James Gunn movie through and through, annihilated movies that feel like they were directed by AI in terms of reviews and box office (Ant 3, Marvels, etc.)

The copy and paste, factory-made style of the MCU has been tired out at this point, and people are seeking something more unique and creative (see how Spider-Verse is the only CBM to overperform this year, partially thanks to distinct visual style. People don't want journeyman directors, they want something with more flair and style. That makes Raimi a great choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

Sam Raimi is one of the few choices who could actually move the needle. Unlike most of the Journeyman directors in the MCU, he has a distinct style and presence in the movie. Guardians 3, which is a James Gunn movie through and through, annihilated movies that feel like they were directed by AI in terms of reviews and box office (Ant 3, Marvels, etc.)

The copy and paste, factory-made style of the MCU has been tired out at this point, and people are seeking something more unique and creative (see how Spider-Verse is the only CBM to overperform this year, partially thanks to distinct visual style. People don't want journeyman directors, they want something with more flair and style. That makes Raimi a great choice.

Yep. I know I am in the minority but I loved MOM because of him. Yeah the script was a mess and we all know he did not have final cut but he makes it so dam fun to watch with his flair and style anyway compared to a hack like Peyton Reed on quantmania who was not able to get past the micromanaging and terrible script. 

• Like 2