XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

28 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Idk where this hate of Waldron came from considering Loki and Doctor Strange were well received. Doctor Strangest fan backlash mostly comes from Wanda stans who didny realize her actions in WandaVision were not really meant to come across as heroic and people who wanted it to be the origin of the MCU X-Men.

But yeah Levy seems like a very reasonable choice, and this is a massive vote of confidence in Deadpool and Wolverine that they're already considering him for it.

I actually like MoM and think Wanda’s decisions make sense but it’s script failed both Stephen and Strange good character arcs and is largely saved by the fun action sequences and Raimi’s sense of direction. 

I get why Levy as he’s easy to work with and I assume like Deadpool and Wolverine he’ll do what Feige says and they are clearly confident in the project but he’s so boring.

11 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Well most recently he got the X-Men writer correct. When he's making stuff up usually its shit like "this actor/director hard to work with because they're a diva" (and it's almost always a POC/woman), but he's not total bullshit. He's just an asshole.

Didn't Uwe Boll beat the shit out of him?

17 minutes ago, YM! said:

I actually like MoM and think Wanda’s decisions make sense but it’s script failed both Stephen and Strange good character arcs and is largely saved by the fun action sequences and Raimi’s sense of direction. 

I get why Levy as he’s easy to work with and I assume like Deadpool and Wolverine he’ll do what Feige says and they are clearly confident in the project but he’s so boring.

Dude is like JJ Abrams. Decent Director but an absolute monster of a producer. He already has a best picture nom as a producer. 

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

This gives me hope that Marvel are happy with his work with Deadpool 3 and think it´s good. Hopefully that´s the case.

I ve no doubt they were happy for D&W

still a great choice to me

Posted (edited)

Levy is perfect for the “Marvel” way and for a movie like Avengers 5 you need a director that works well with Feige and don’t get their vision suppressed. A director like Raimi for example would be horrible for a movie like Avengers imo. THERE’S a reason the Russos worked so well for the Four movies they directed but have not fared well outside of that. Also Levy’s work in Stranger things is nothing short of pure cinema.

As for Waldron. I genuinely thinking he was done dirty by MoM. I absolutely found the movie to be fantastic but he got the blame for everything that people hated and that’s not fair at all. He was great with Loki and MoM had chaos production. He’s had almost 2 years before they actually start shooting the movie to work on the script. I think he will do well. At least I hope. There’s a reason he got another chance and Loveness didn’t. Feige knows Waldron isn’t to blame for everything negative with MoM (top 3 MCU movie imo)

Edited by thajdikt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Levy is perfect for the “Marvel” way and for a movie like Avengers 5 you need a director that works well with Feige and don’t get their vision suppressed. A director like Raimi for example would be horrible for a movie like Avengers imo. THERE’S a reason the Russos worked so well for the Four movies they directed but have not fared well outside of that. Also Levy’s work in Stranger things is nothing short of pure cinema.

As for Waldron. I genuinely thinking he was done dirty by MoM. I absolutely found the movie to be fantastic but he got the blame for everything that people hated and that’s not fair at all. He was great with Loki and MoM had chaos production. He’s had almost 2 years before they actually start shooting the movie to work on the script. I think he will do well. At least I hope. There’s a reason he got another chance and Loveness didn’t. Feige knows Waldron isn’t to blame for everything negative with MoM (top 3 MCU movie imo)

Multiverse of Madness is one of the most impressive comic book movie performances of all time. The fact that a solo movie of a B-list character with mixed reception opened to almost $200M is absolutely mind fucking. 

13 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Idk where this hate of Waldron came from considering Loki and Doctor Strange were well received. Doctor Strangest fan backlash mostly comes from Wanda stans who didny realize her actions in WandaVision were not really meant to come across as heroic and people who wanted it to be the origin of the MCU X-Men.

But yeah Levy seems like a very reasonable choice, and this is a massive vote of confidence in Deadpool and Wolverine that they're already considering him for it.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness had a bad Cinemascore (B+) and a huge drop on second weekend (67%), it wasn't well received...

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness had a bad Cinemascore (B+) and a huge drop on second weekend (67%), it wasn't well received...

It's hard to argue "everyone hated it" when it made nearly a billion dollars. This idea Waldron is some failure is ridiculous.

Edited by SpiderByte

10 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Multiverse of Madness is one of the most impressive comic book movie performances of all time. The fact that a solo movie of a B-list character with mixed reception opened to almost $200M is absolutely mind fucking. 

I mean...it was good but Opening Weekend could've gone even higher if WoM wasn't so middling and legs were just terrible. Nothing impressive about it.

Good opening but extremely poor legs and disappointing Domestic total.

Nah. Nothing special here.

Multiverse of Madness opening as big as it did is not a surprise at all. They marketed it as the direct followup to what was, at the time, the biggest movie of the decade. The movie was unfortunately not very well received when it was released, and because of a combination of false marketing and the movie itself being a jumbled mess, it got pretty poor audience scores and declined steeply after its mega opening. And even today, that movie isn't looked back upon very fondly and is seen as the beginning of the end for Marvel as the behemoth we knew them as.

As for Shawn Levy being eyed for Avengers 5, it's even less surprising. Let's face it, he's among the very few established Hollywood directors who'd go anywhere near this franchise these days. He's already in business with Marvel thanks to Deadpool 3, and he has plenty of experience in managing big ensemble pieces. Unless Deadpool 3 turns out to be another rotten egg, I'd be very surprised if he didn't ultimately sign on. He is an unfortunate downgrade over the last guy they had attached to this, but Free Guy has proven that he is capable of turning in a good movie when surrounded with the right talent, so we'll see how it all settles.

1 hour ago, justnumbers said:

I mean...it was good but Opening Weekend could've gone even higher if WoM wasn't so middling and legs were just terrible. Nothing impressive about it.

Good opening but extremely poor legs and disappointing Domestic total.

Nah. Nothing special here.

Multiverse of Madness's opening day was almost double Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3. It's an extremely special performance. 

And yeah I do agree that the legs were horrible and the domestic total was disappointing, absolutely. But that OW was insane, and I'm all about huge OWs. In fact, I'm the type of guy who actually defends BVS for having a huge $81M opening day. 

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably shouldn't expect The Wasp to be among those 60 characters reportedly returning for the next Avengers since Evangeline Lilly has announced her retirement from acting.

They really only did somethiing with her in the second movie by giving her the cool action and... that's about it. She was hardly there in Quantumania. Wasted character that used to lead the Avengers in the comics lol.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

They really only did somethiing with her in the second movie by giving her the cool action and... that's about it. She was hardly there in Quantumania. Wasted character that used to lead the Avengers in the comics lol.

Lot of people will point to her controversial social media posts over the years causing the character's role being downplayed but she wasn't getting much work outside of these movies before that either. I imagine retirement from the biz isn't nearly as unappealing an option if the only offers you're probably getting are trashy action flicks hoping to use that Lost/The Hobbit/Ant-Man fame to raise their profile. 

Hard to feel sorry for her though since the residuals from Lost + the paychecks from those movies have probably made her set for life.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Interesting, I don't see you going around praising Captain Marvel for having even better box office...

7 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Interesting, I don't see you going around praising Captain Marvel for having even better box office...

Captain Marvel is from the pre-Endgame MCU which everyone already agrees was the peak, it doesn't need defending like Multiverse of Madness does. And Captain Marvel didn't open close to $200M like MoM did.

15 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Cameos make Marvel fans go crazy. This is why Deadpool’s presales are not shocking at all