Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't understand this talk I keep seeing about Elemental legs for The Marvels. It's something I keep seeing fans bring up on social media like Twitter and Reddit and I don't see what Pixar legs and Marvel legs have in common? Captain Marvel had a solid 2.76 multiplier, how does that translate to the sequel having a 5.2 multiplier. Name one Marvel movie in the MCU that has a 5.2 multiplier. I believe Guardians 1 has the highest multiplier followed closely by Black Panther. The best case scenario is a 3.5 multiplier. 

It’s just hope from the MCU die hards that the movie is some under appreciated gem that will find its audience. 

Maybe it will, but based on what we’ve so far, I wouldn’t bet on it. 

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

How come whenever a Marvel movie is flopping people start debating DC films? It always happens and it is very strange to me. It's like why are trying to change the subject? 

I think it's because The Marvels flopping kind of calls into question the entire genre. This is the first Marvel weekend thread where I can remember this happening, and at least here I'd call it a justified conversation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I'm not so sure about Joker 2. Yes, I think $700M+ is locked but the musical aspect could put a hard ceiling on it. I defintely don't see it doing the same or even better than Joker 2019

I don't know I feel like people are gonna be along for the ride no matter what. I think it's gonna keep the appeal the first one had in Latin America and I think Europeans will like the different direction of it.

Lady Gaga is also quite a bit of a draw and her being in a franchise film has the potential to really make it go sky high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdangie said:

This is actually a very cute message, but I can't take "higher, further, faster" seriously anymore after r/boxoffice has memed it to death lmao

They say that phrase in the quickest way possible in the movie. It gives the least amount of impact possible, when they could have been slow and dramatic with it.

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Well, I'm going to keep discussing The Marvels flopping and the larger implications on the MCU. Because this is a weekend thread about The Marvels. I can't stop MCU fans from coping by bringing up Joker 2 and every other DC movie. 

I don't think any of us discussing this are specifically MCU fans. I know you started becoming much more active on this forum than you've ever been because of this movie, but we can talk about other movies in the genre and discuss the future of them.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Well, I'm going to keep discussing The Marvels flopping and the larger implications on the MCU. Because this is a weekend thread about The Marvels. I can't stop MCU fans from coping by bringing up Joker 2 and every other DC movie. 

Idk how much more can be said. It was pretty much pre-emptively declared dead and discussed ad nauseum. It's not like Flash where there was a weird group of hopefuls that it could somehow escape its fate, pretty much everyone was resigned to it once pre-sales started and it became clear it wasn't recovering. Weekend threads always go off the rails discussion wise and it's not out of Marvel fans 'coping'.

• Like 2

I hope The Holdovers expands nicely this weekend. We need some adult dramas to come back and pull decent mid-size movie numbers. Hopefully the cast can get out and promote now leading up to Thanksgiving and further expansion.

its playing near me this weekend, so I might try and catch it tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Just now, ringedmortality said:

I don't think any of us discussing this are specifically MCU fans. I know you started becoming much more active on this forum than you've ever been because of this movie, but we can talk about other movies in the genre and discuss the future of them.

Actually I started being more active on this thread because anti abortion weirdos and the Snydercult nuked my original Twitter account. Lol

What was amazing about Joker was it broke out almost in all the markets it opened. It actually beat Endgame in certain markets !!! That was the 1st big movie I tracked and I remember it having just 11 days of presales but it just motored on towards huge previews and then amazing Sunday hold(it increased 3m+ from estimates). 2nd weekend hold was also crazy strong and it finished with great multiplier considering it was outside summer or holidays. Overseas holds were even more stunning. 

Not sure if Sequel can capture the same Zeitgeist as the 1st movie. but it breaking out in all the markets make me more optimistic for overseas number than domestic. That sense it has a greater ceiling that even Bats 2. Domestic I expect Joker 2 to drop. How much we will only know closer to release. Trailer metrics, social media buzz will tell the tale for sure. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think its fair deal to question the entire genre. Its not as if DC is in better shape. If anything DC is morbid at this point. 

Everything is collapsing. Video Game Movie won't last.

BOT should pitch some movie ideas for the studio executives/their secretaries lurking on this forum.